Buy iPad Air 2 or wait...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Liquinn, Jul 18, 2015.

  1. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #1
    Should I buy now or wait for the iPad air 3 or 4? Thanks.
     
  2. Mivo macrumors regular

    Mivo

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2015
    Location:
    Germany
    #2
    Nothing has been announced yet. There are rumors (a little thin, in my view) that there won't be an Air 3 this year. There are also rumors (more substantial) that there will be an iPad Pro/Plus in fall.

    So, nobody really knows. I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an Air 2 in January and absolutely love the device, but I'm not sure if I'd get an Air 2 right now, especially if you have an iPad 4. In your shoes, I'd wait, unless you feel you need an upgrade right away and can find a good deal.
     
  3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #3
    I'd hate to buy an iPad air now to find out Apple updates it in a few months. The buyers guide says not to buy, though.
     
  4. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #4
    You can buy it now cuz many angry iPad fanboys/girls said there will be NO iPad Air 3 this year.... I'm worried right now.
     
  5. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

    Kal-037

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2015
    Location:
    Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    #5
    I really hope they don't skip the Air 3 this year. It's the device i'm looking forward to most. PLEASE don't forget the Air 3 Apple. Make and release an updated A9X iPad Air 3, iPad Pro for those who want it, and an actual update to the mini.... [​IMG]
     
  6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

    crjackson2134

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #6
    It just depends on how bad you want it. If you're patient you can wait. Personally I'd probably just get it now. If the Air 3 comes out and you just have to get it, sell the Air 2. Sure you'll lose a little money but not that much. The Air 2 is a really powerful device and it exceeds the needs of any apps. out there already, and probably will for the next couple of years. That said, if the Air 3 is released and has features and/or performance I've just got to have, I'll sell my Air 2 and grab one.
     
  7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    Go buy it..it's amazing device even if there is a new one..sounds like there won't be

    Just the IPad pro
     
  8. Billy95Tech Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2014
    #8
    The same!! That is why i am waiting to see if there is going to be new Ipad Air 3 this year because i am waiting for the Air3.

    But if there is no Air 3 then i might get the Air 2 or Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.
     
  9. AppleRobert macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2012
    #9
    Get it at BB and if you are a Rewards Member you get 45 day return period. By then Air3 availability will be known. And you can try the Samsung S2 tablet as well.
     
  10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

    12vElectronics

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2013
    Location:
    California
    #11
    If you can hold off just a bit longer, we might start getting more info as it gets closer to October. That's what I'm doing..
     
  11. Bromio macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2014
    #12
    This year there is a strong rumor that says that Apple won't release the iPad Air 3, so buying the Air 2 would be very interesting now. However, rumors may be wrong. As always, if you can wait till October, wait. Else, buy, and you'll be getting an excellent machine.
     
  12. Blujelly macrumors 65816

    Blujelly

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    Location:
    South East England
    #13
    I'm in the same position, but to be honest I'm going to wait.

    Realistically its going to be a month before I get my hands on the current one if nothing new is released. just depends if you can wait or not.
     
  13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2012
    #14
    It has already been about $375 at Target and Best Buy. The Air 3 ain't going to be $125 better, if one even comes out this year, the big upgrade will be the Pro.

    It ain't like the Air 2 will be outdated anytime soon. I'm running iOS 9 and it kicks ass.
     
  14. crazyeyes macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2005
    Location:
    Easton PA
    #15
    So I am in a similar situation where I am wondering if I should get an air 2 now or wait. If I do it now I am going to do it on an ATT next plan and just put it on my cell plan. The reason is I want to have one before september 2nd cause I work for an Infiniti dealership and our trainer is coming on the 2nd and said if we don't have an iPad we should get ourselves one cause it is going to be a selling tool that we want to have. He also said he will have all sorts of apps to setup for us while he is here. The only use it will most likely get is at work, and maybe the occasional surfing while laying in bed. I like having the cellular so I can then take it on a test drive with me if need be for information. I just would hate to start a payment plan on an iPad air 2 and then a 3 comes out that is that much better. I have a 6 plus for a phone so I don't see the case for the mini but I could also just do that but I feel if I'm going to be using it for presentation purposes at work I should have the bigger screen.

    So not to ramble on anymore. Do you think I should just wait till the new iPads are announced and set mine up myself or should I just bite the bullet and get an Air 2 now and then upgrade to the next gen next october?
     
  15. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

    Ludatyk

    Joined:
    May 27, 2012
    Location:
    Texas
    #16
    If you can find a good deal on an Air 2... Then of course, get it. I wouldn't pay full price for one given that there's no indication of what's going to happen with the model in a couple of months.

    The Air 2 is a solid device... With 2GB of Ram its future proof. My recommendation is to only buy one if there's some discount applied to it.
     
  16. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
  17. nj-morris macrumors 68000

    nj-morris

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2014
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    There will be an Air 3 this year. I'm counting on it. There is no reason why they wouldn't. It may not be big, but it will happen.
    Back on topic, wait. My guess is that you'll be able to get a 32GB Air 3 at $499, and a 32GB Air 2 at $399 and 64GB at $449 and $599 respectively, which is a great deal.
     
  18. nj-morris macrumors 68000

    nj-morris

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2014
    Location:
    UK
    #19
    I laughed at forget. I can just imagine one Apple employee out of 100,000 at the end of the year saying, 'Boy, we forgot to update the iPad Air this year'.
     
  19. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

    xaqt93

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #20
    Just bought the Air 2. It works great with iOS 9 beta 4. The only thing they could add to the air 3 is Force touch. I'm honestly waiting to see what the use of it will be when it comes to the iPhone 6s. Air 2 with split screen multitasking is honestly the best feature. Up to you.
     
  20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2012
    #21
    Enjoy it. I got it at BB for $375.

    IOS 9 beta now, it has 2gb ram, fast, great for games and videos, etc.

    I could have waited cause I have a rmini but was too good a price to pass up for the Air 2.
     
  21. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

    Ludatyk

    Joined:
    May 27, 2012
    Location:
    Texas
    #22
    Wait? For what exactly? What are the benefits of the supposedly Air 3 over the Air 2. At this point the Air 2 is fit for iOS 9, with all the speculation of force touch being added to the upcoming models... We honestly don't know what value that would be.

    Air 2 is faster, awesome display, has 2GB of Ram, already optimized for iOS 9 SplitView. I don't see a earth shattering update for the Air 2. Perhaps a iPad Pro would be a compelling reason to wait, but what will Apple add that will peak interest. With so many unknowns... What's the point in waiting. The Air 2 is a great product to own now... Mind you at a discount. :D
     
  22. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

    Kal-037

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2015
    Location:
    Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    #23
    Well, I just wanted to make sure they didn't forget the folks who still want a normal size tablet. ;)
     
  23. photocat2005 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2015
    Location:
    United States
    #24
    Well while you wait, I'll continue to enjoy my Air2 daily for the next 3 - 4 months (the one I got on sale a month ago for $100 off) .... there is always new tech around the corner. It always costs a premium and only occasionally is it worth the wait and additional cost.
     
  24. pat500000 macrumors 603

    pat500000

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2015
    #25
    It shouldn't matter whether you buy it now or wait. If you need it you buy. If you're one of those who have to do sell stuff to make money then you have no business in buying it. To be honest, air 2 is great and I bought it like two weeks ago.
     

Share This Page