Buy iPhone 6 now or wait till unlocked version

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HarryWild, Oct 11, 2014.

1. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I have decided to get the iPhone 6 after all; but I have a dilemma: Purchase the T-Mobile or wait till end of November and buy the unlocked model?

I know that the unlocked version will bring about $100-$200 more if I want to re-sell it in about a year! But maybe now that the word is out; both will bring about the same price?

Any opinions on which version to buy?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

The contract free T-mobile version from Apple is unlocked.

3. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Thinking about waiting for the sim-free version as well, even though the T-Mobile version is unlocked.

4. thieverycorp. macrumors regular

There is no difference in buying the sim-free version or the t-mobile version (if purchased through Apple)

Getting real annoying...

5. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Or you could just buy the verizon iPhone 6 off contract...

6. HarryWild thread starter macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I decided for now to play it safe and wait for the 22nd of November or close to that date to order my iPhone 6 or 6 plus unlocked versions/models!

It only two more months and it will be unlocked for sure by Apple!

7. blueraid macrumors newbie

I got the AT&T version, paid full price at Apple Store in Fifth avenue while I was in New York a few weeks ago.

Before first boot, I removed the sim of AT&T & I've putted another sim into it. I booted like a charm and now I'm using the phone with my Belgian SIM here in Belgium.

Grtz

8. iBug2 macrumors 68040

I got the T-Mobile from online Apple store, using it in Europe with my GSM carrier right now. 100% unlocked, as has been said thousands of times in these boards.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

This is what I did. The Verizon model will work on all 3 carriers here in the US with no issues at all. No need to wait 2 months for the unlocked version to come out when you can be enjoying the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus now.

11. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

If you have AT&T you can buy using the Next option and then just pay off the full price of the phone. As soon as you pay the phone off AT&T will unlock it for you.

12. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by unlocked "for sure" by Apple? As many other have stated, Apple is selling unlocked versions now. They're called the full price AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile versions. And I could be wrong, but isn't Verizon required by law to unlock all of their phones?

Worst comes to worst, you buy a Verizon off contract from the Apple store, take it home, try it out and find it doesn't work with your SIM card. You're out nothing, you just simply return it to the Apple store. Really not sure why you'd wait until November.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not by law but they agreed to the FCC's requirements when purchasing the spectrum from them. That is FCC required VZW to sell unlocked LTE phones if they were going to purchase the spectrum.

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Just wondering, is a verizon on-contract phone unlocked for GSM networks? That is, if I bought a verizon on-contract phone, could I go overseas and put a GSM sim card in and have it work?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, VZW phones are unlocked from the get go.

16. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Wow, I wish i'd known that. I might have considered switching from AT&T, even though I have unlimited data. I travel to Europe frequently and have to use an old iP4 that's unlocked. Oh well, maybe next time.

17. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

This, I also got the AT&T version, paid in full price and I did insert my AT&T sim and when i connected to itunes, I got the "Congratulation your phone has been unlocked" message. I tested with my activated Verizon sim card and sure enough it works just fine.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Same here. Well, I didn't pop in a Verizon SIM to test, but bought a full-price AT&T iPhone 6, took it home, connected to iTunes and got the congratulations message.

19. HarryWild thread starter macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Later on Apple will release unlocked models of their iPhone 6! It has model number that identifies the iPhone as "unlocked model"! With no carrier branding associated with it!

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

None of the iPhones have any carrier branding. Just buy the Verizon model. It's unlocked and will work fine on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and most GSM networks around the world.

21. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

T-Mobile and Verizon models are FACTORY UNLOCKED and all iPhones are only UNLOCKED BY APPLE.

Factory Unlocked is Factory Unlocked, you simply are waiting for the Text on Apple website to change lol.

----------

As other post has said, Apple does not brand their iPhones with carrier junk, and there is absolutely no model difference or even slightest model # difference to differentiate the T-Mobile / AT&T / Verizon or the GSM SIM-FREE worded iPhone you are waiting for.

I assure you, I have a big tech background.

The model combination you see internally on the Settings - General - About screen is only for Apple's own personal use and not a physical indicator of anything.

Last year when T-Mobile started carrying the iPhone 5, I researched and found that the absolute only way to tell if 1700AWS was supported on a iPhone 5 was to check the serial #, at beginning we checked the "Model" combinations found on About screen and that led us to no where because we saw the same model combination on phones with AT&T, Telus Canada as well Rogers.

Externally all iPhone 5 at the time were A1428 for the GSM counterpart.

Anyway, your just wasting your time or convincing your self to hold off for no apparent reason. If you want it, go get it and enjoy it.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

There's a small chance the officially unlocked version will be the international version with all the TD-LTE bands available

23. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T as well but opened a single line plan with Verizon so I could get the 6 Plus to go along with my 6. If my testing goes well with Verizon this time around I just might port my AT&T number over and keep Verizon's single line plan. This is one of the benefits of owning the Verizon iPhone. As it can be used over seas as well as all three major carriers here in the US.