Buy iPhone at AT&T Store or Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khryz, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Myself and my family are on a T-Mobile family plan. We're looking to switch to AT&T because T-Mo service is absolutely terrible here.

So I was planning on just all of us going to the AT&T store which is down the road from me. My family just want regular phones with voice plans, whereas I want an iPhone 3G. I thought we all could just go there and get our phones activated right there and take them home, with me on the family plan but with my own data plan (is this possible by the way?)

I figured this would just be fine but I've been reading some threads that is actually makes a difference where you get your iPhone. Is this true?

Does someone have a better idea of how I can go about steering my family in the right direction in order to switch over as well as giving me the iPhone?

EDIT: Should I buy the iPhone elsewhere, like at Best Buy un-activated and just bring it to the AT&T store when my family wants to switch over and get their phones activated so they can activate my iPhone?

2. techdude13 macrumors 6502

Well, I love T-Mo, so sadly I am sorry that they could not deliver their amazing service to you.

I do, however, suggest buying and activating you iPhone at an Apple Store. Just go to the AT&T Store, and get the family plan. Then go to an Apple Store and add-on your iPhone to that plan. Just make sure when you are at AT&T That the plan is able to support the iPhone 3G.

This is for a few reasons, but mainly: If you want to get your iPhone exchanged for any reason, it is easier at an Apple Store. plus if you have repeated problems, they can 1) Troubleshoot the problem, and 2) refund the money for the phone, then you can effectively "buy" one brand new, with the money they refunded you. This way you can't go wrong with the service aspect.

Also, I trsut the Apple Store a little more, especially since they are selling their own product.

Good luck in your ventures and I hope you have an enjoyable iPhone experience!

John

(P.S. Take a look at my profile, then look at the most recent thread I started. This will show you what to do in case your iPhone has damage. My case in that post was severely rare, but shows how some good skills and knowing to buy from the Apple Store, helps.):apple:

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your quick reply!

So I can walk into the AT&T store with my family and tell them that I want to buy an iPhone but I want to get it at the Apple Store, but they can still have my account on the family plan ready for when I go to the Apple Store?

I agree with what you're saying even though this is a few extra steps. For such an expensive phone where a lot can go wrong I'd want the most options in case of any problems.

Though what about Best Buy? I heard they offer good deals for problems.

4. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

Definitely not Bestbuy...

I'd say ATT over apple if you're transferring from Tmobile...

5. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

Once again, do not buy from bestbuy! They only started selling iPhones a couple months ago and they will probably screw up your plan...
    If you're already going to be walking into the ATT store then I don't see why you wouldn't just buy your phone there. There's really no difference and I doubt they will set up your entire plan then let you leave and buy ur phone at the apple store.

6. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you buy the iPhone from Best Buy without activating it? And when my family goes to the AT&T store I bring the iPhone with me there? I was told you activate the iPhone over iTunes anyway, so why do I need to buy it from any specific spot. Does Apple or AT&T need to do anything special to it in person?

7. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I would buy from Apple directly. Troubleshooting and warranty issues will be much much easier, should you need it.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I highly recommend you get your iPhone from the Apple Store. That way, they go through the whole Registration and setting up of your iPhone right there (should anything, which won't, go wrong) they can fix it.

Also, they can cover your iPhone way better as someone before me mentioned, they are selling their own product and want a happy customer to refer more friends to get iPhones (Business models:rolleyes:)...

As per the Family plan, all the iPhone does is add on to the Family Plan an extra $30 which is the Unlimited Data required for the iPhone (its like if a family member wants to add video share or another AT&T plan to there line, just adds on to the overall bill). Other than that, unlimited texting family plan should also cover your iPhone (since its in the family pack) however, you should check/call on that second one.

however, be sure to double check with AT&T and Apple (which ever you choose) before going ahead to confirm everything.

9. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So how do you recommend I do this step by step? Do I go to the Apple Store first and purchase the iPhone? Do I need to have gone to the AT&T store first before I go to the Apple Store?

I'm just not sure on how I should go about this because I am confused about where to start with all the responses here (yet I appreciate all of them!).

If anyone can help giving me sort of a process to go through I would appreciate it!