Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I am getting an iPhone in mid-June for a graduation present. Well, splitting the cost with my parents. That's fair I think.

Anyway, this will be pure speculation, but should I get an iPhone before the 2.0 firmware is released? Think they'd redo the bootloader on the 2.0 firmware to make it un-hackable?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Well, if it's mid-June that you're getting it, 2.0 probably won't be out yet. If you want to hack it, getting it then is fine, just don't upgrade. If you don't, then it doesn't matter as it will just be a few weeks until 2.0. Who knows, maybe it will be out in Canada by then (probably doubtful).

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I am getting an iPhone in mid-June for a graduation present. Well, splitting the cost with my parents. That's fair I think.

Anyway, this will be pure speculation, but should I get an iPhone before the 2.0 firmware is released? Think they'd redo the bootloader on the 2.0 firmware to make it un-hackable?

To be safe, I'd say buy the iPhone before Apple starts selling iPhones OTB 1.2.0, which may carry a new bootloader.

==However, Project Pwnage from the Dev-Team says bootloader is no longer an issue with their new tools.==

If you do buy an iPhone before 1.2.0 is released, then don't update it until we all know it's safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.