Buy iPhone before 2.0 firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamina, Mar 16, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I am getting an iPhone in mid-June for a graduation present. Well, splitting the cost with my parents. That's fair I think.

Anyway, this will be pure speculation, but should I get an iPhone before the 2.0 firmware is released? Think they'd redo the bootloader on the 2.0 firmware to make it un-hackable?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, if it's mid-June that you're getting it, 2.0 probably won't be out yet. If you want to hack it, getting it then is fine, just don't upgrade. If you don't, then it doesn't matter as it will just be a few weeks until 2.0. Who knows, maybe it will be out in Canada by then (probably doubtful).

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

To be safe, I'd say buy the iPhone before Apple starts selling iPhones OTB 1.2.0, which may carry a new bootloader.

==However, Project Pwnage from the Dev-Team says bootloader is no longer an issue with their new tools.==

If you do buy an iPhone before 1.2.0 is released, then don't update it until we all know it's safe.

4. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

yea go for it

I don't think they are going to do any revisions for the new software update.