Buy iPhone SE today or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sam_S, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Sam_S macrumors regular

The iPhone SE has gone on special today in NZ now $650 for the 64GB model a saving of $200.

Do I buy the current SE or do I wait and hope for a March announcement and a 128GB version.

My iPhone 6 has died and I am using a Microsoft Phone in the meantime. Its okay but I think I am going to stick to Apple, as I don't really have a choice (brought some new B&W P9s which are going to be releasing a lightning cable).

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

How much space do you need? It's hard to know what the price will be if they release a new model.

3. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

I feel like I need the 128GB, if not more, but think I could "manage" with 64GB.
    That's what has stopped me in the past, but it is a good special (we never get specials in NZ) and I can't rely on Apple to actually release a product I like anymore. iPhone 7 was a load of **** in my opinion.

4. anthlis macrumors newbie

I was after an iPod replacement. I caved in and decided to replace my iPod (32GB, 5th Gen, loved it) and all my crappy Android phones I had bought and tried to use over the years with an iPhone. I too got excited to see the iPhone SE 64GB on special at a number of retailers. But then spotted an iPhone 6S+ 64GB at a special price (discontinued model to salvage sales of the iPhone 7 I gather) from jb hi-fi. So glad I opted for the bigger screen! Otherwise I'd be all over the SE at that price today.

5. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I have a SE 64gb and I have a large music collection and it works for me but it will depend on your needs.

6. LoliS macrumors regular

Wait to see if they refresh the iphone SE at the spring event.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Current rumors indicate the keynote could be within the next week or so. I would certainly wait and determine if Apple releases a larger storage tier. And as already previously commented on, 128 GB version is the only likely added feature.

8. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

How large is your music collection? I have 15,000 songs.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Wow. That's a lot of music. Then perhaps 128 GB is a more suitable storage tier for you.

10. isaac123 macrumors newbie

im in the same situation, currently have a 5s and front facing camera doesn't work, also only have 16gb and tired of constantly running out of space. However I will be getting the iphone 8 in September, wandering if I should get the se in the meantime or just soldier on.

11. funkiejack macrumors newbie

funkiejack

12. JustJoshua macrumors member

Had my SE since October or November of last year ans couldn't be happier. I only have the 16gb and never had a storage issue but I do ise a tablet for mass stuff. For everyday usage it's hard to beat the battery life alone and the form factor is well known and very pocket friendly.

13. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

In New Zealand everything is more expensive.

14. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Wait if you can, just about soon the newer SE will be released. That's what I heard.

15. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Well whether you get it now or wait for the 128gb version you will not be disappointed. It is a great phone for the money with great tech under the hood.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Is there a full return policy in the store? If there is, you can buy one, watch the keynote to see if there are any announcements, and then decide to return it/keep it.

17. geta macrumors 6502a

What date is the Keynote?

18. dave2010 macrumors regular

The most common rumour I've read is that there will just be a 128GB model released soon. Less rumours that the 16GB will be replaced by a 32GB. Prices might go down a little.
    Zero rumours about a new model, and this time last year we had the name, pictures and details of the SE well ahead of the event.
    If you're fine with the 64GB model, I'd buy now.
    Otherwise wait a few weeks.

19. LoliS macrumors regular

20. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

28th March the sale ends so hopefully they announce the new iPhone SE (if there is one) before then.

21. nordique macrumors 6502a

I would just wait at this point.

Rumour is that SE will get a storage bump like the 6s did when the 7 launched (16 & 64 GB models -> 32 & 128 GB)

A base 32GB will be more palpable as a device to keep for a long time yet, than a 16GB model will be.

There's also the small chance that Apple may introduce new colours to the SE. It is very unlikely, but might be worth waiting to see what happens.

I think the storage bump will happen though.

In some instances the SE is still Apples fastest iPhone, and it has a longer battery life than any 4.7" iPhone on the market right now, so you'll be making a good investment....Just wait and see what happens in a few weeks.

22. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

I thought the same. I miss the 4" screen I enjoyed the iPhone 6, it is great for media consumption. However I want something a little more usable, I found the iPhone 5 much easier to use one-handed and much more durable, I had lots of trouble with my 6.

23. Ixon2001 macrumors member

Ixon2001

I bought a 64GB SE couple of days ago to replace my Nexus 6P & I couldn't be happier with this little bugger, but if you do need more than 64GB wait to see if Apple do announce a 128GB version.

I think with all these offers on the current 64GB knocking about it could be a sign that it's about to be replaced with a 128GB model.

24. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

I don't like the bigger screen and I would prefer not to pay a stupid sum of money for an overpriced piece of crap.

25. LoliS, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

LoliS macrumors regular

What was the problem with the iPhone 6?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    iPhones are not pieces of crap. When it comes to software/hardware integrations, they are top notch. And the build quality compared to similarly priced smartphones is high.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2017 ---
    Lots of people think mercedes are over priced too, but many people who can afford to buy a mercedes buy them.

If you compare an iPhone to other flagship cell phones, the price is in line with what the market values the technology at. If iPhones were truly overpriced, no one would buy them and Apple would go out of business.

Apple provides a much higher level of customer service for iPhones than other cell phone manufacturers do. That isn't free to provide and has to be factored into the price of the phone.