Buy Leopard, Download It, or neither?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anubis, Aug 28, 2007.

?

Buy Leopard, download it, or wait until it's on your next mac?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2007.
  1. I will buy a copy of Leopard and install it on my current Mac

164 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I will download/copy/obtain Leopard for free and install it on my current Mac

34 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. I will just sit tight and my next Mac will have Leopard preinstalled anyway

32 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Other

15 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. anubis macrumors 6502a

I'm just throwing this out there because I think it would be interesting to know. Are you going to buy a copy of Leopard when it's released, are you going to download/copy/otherwise obtain it without paying for it, or do you plan on just getting your hands on Leopard when it comes preinstalled on your next Mac?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

OSX is usually one of the only things I buy when it comes to software (and no, I don't need a lecture from anyone) so yeah, I'll buy Leopard.

The only time I downloaded an Apple OS was shortly before Panther came out. I already had my copy preordered, but this was still about a week before release and I was impatient :D

3. thegrifman macrumors regular

4. 1020 macrumors regular

I'll buy it, but not right away. There are some things I like about Leopard; some I don't. Definitely buying though, at some point. I get a discount as a college student :)

5. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

For better or worse, I've preordered (except 10.1, which was sort of a half-release) and installed every iteration of OSX but the Public Beta on launch day, and Leopard won't be any different.

I chalk it up to experimentation and familiarization that is "required" to stay on top of things. Not 100% true, of course, and I'd probably be smarter to wait through maybe a .x.x release or two, but it's good to have a job-related excuse to be on the bleeding edge.

7. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

I will do 2 of the options above...I will buy Leopard for my MacBook Pro on release day, and when I get my iMac some time in November it will be pre-installed with Leopard.

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I will buy the family pack of Leopard either on release day or shortly thereafter.

It's going to be awesome! :cool:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I will be buying it once it has HD DVD playback support. Judging by what I've seen so far, this might be coming in a point release so I probably won't be buying it immediately.

Edit: I certainly don't mean to imply that I will be downloading it before then. I plan to stick with Tiger until Leopard has the single feature I want.

10. Riezer macrumors newbie

Does anyone know when you'll get a free copy of Leopard when you buy a new mac. I remember as previous releases were coming Apple offered you to buy your mac and get a copy of the new OS send to you at release....
    I want to buy a new iMac but would like to get a legal copy of Leopard with it, I don't want some illegal downloaded version.

11. torchwood04 macrumors regular

Buy, if I get it, which probably won't be until the fall of 2008, or until I absolutely need it. 10.4.11 or .12 will suit me until then

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i will defintaely be getting a family pack. got to many macs (4 i think) so they will all have it.

13. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

As soon as it's available at the University of Waterloo Store.

14. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

LOL

my sister is going to waterloo on sunday for first year

and ill use her discount to get it for 89bucks!

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I've downloaded my share of tunes, movies, software in the distant past. When I came to the Mac platform, much of that changed. I saw the joy and genius of OS X and gladly paid for every release.

Supporting Apple software development is so important to me. They are out in front of the entire industry and I am willing to plunk down my hard earned bucks to back up that effort. For $129, it's worth every penny.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I will admit, I have downloaded alot of software, windows software mind, which all began after windows xp refused my valid serial number, which goes into a very long story, I will gladly pay the £79(?) for leopard.

17. shecky Guest

shecky

i will buy it with an academic discount after a .1 update is available, and i may get it for free due to being faculty. not sure yet.

18. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

19. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

The internet makes the world so much smaller. :D

20. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think that in all platforms, the OS is the must-buy, since your work and computer experience in general, depend on this. I will buy it, to support the people that make it.

21. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Both Buy It AND Buy A New Mac Pro With It On It

Nobody downloads it and installs it for free. That is illegal and against all good common sense to do. Apple has spent scores of millions of dollars to bring Leopard to you. Why would you think anyone wants to steal it when they can buy it legally for $79 academic? :rolleyes: :mad:

I'll be buying it for launch day to install on the Macs I already have + Getting it pre-installed on my 8 core Mac Pro in November.

22. Scott982 macrumors member

Scott982

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I will buy it.

I certainly sea what you did there, OP.

:mad:

24. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

With a slightly aged original Mac Mini, I'm looking for an upgraded computer at some point next year, so it all depends what Apple brings out. Or I may be forced to buy Leopard like I was with Tiger - EyeTV 2 wouldn't work on Panther.

25. alea macrumors newbie