Buy Leopard, Download It, or neither?

Buy Leopard, download it, or wait until it's on your next mac?

• I will buy a copy of Leopard and install it on my current Mac

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • I will download/copy/obtain Leopard for free and install it on my current Mac

Votes: 34 13.8%
  • I will just sit tight and my next Mac will have Leopard preinstalled anyway

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
I'm just throwing this out there because I think it would be interesting to know. Are you going to buy a copy of Leopard when it's released, are you going to download/copy/otherwise obtain it without paying for it, or do you plan on just getting your hands on Leopard when it comes preinstalled on your next Mac?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
OSX is usually one of the only things I buy when it comes to software (and no, I don't need a lecture from anyone) so yeah, I'll buy Leopard.

The only time I downloaded an Apple OS was shortly before Panther came out. I already had my copy preordered, but this was still about a week before release and I was impatient :D

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Wonderland
I'll buy it, but not right away. There are some things I like about Leopard; some I don't. Definitely buying though, at some point. I get a discount as a college student :)

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
For better or worse, I've preordered (except 10.1, which was sort of a half-release) and installed every iteration of OSX but the Public Beta on launch day, and Leopard won't be any different.

I chalk it up to experimentation and familiarization that is "required" to stay on top of things. Not 100% true, of course, and I'd probably be smarter to wait through maybe a .x.x release or two, but it's good to have a job-related excuse to be on the bleeding edge.

Cyclotrode

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Virginia
I will do 2 of the options above...I will buy Leopard for my MacBook Pro on release day, and when I get my iMac some time in November it will be pre-installed with Leopard.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I will be buying it once it has HD DVD playback support. Judging by what I've seen so far, this might be coming in a point release so I probably won't be buying it immediately.

Edit: I certainly don't mean to imply that I will be downloading it before then. I plan to stick with Tiger until Leopard has the single feature I want.

Riezer

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
Does anyone know when you'll get a free copy of Leopard when you buy a new mac. I remember as previous releases were coming Apple offered you to buy your mac and get a copy of the new OS send to you at release....
I want to buy a new iMac but would like to get a legal copy of Leopard with it, I don't want some illegal downloaded version.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Buy, if I get it, which probably won't be until the fall of 2008, or until I absolutely need it. 10.4.11 or .12 will suit me until then

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I've downloaded my share of tunes, movies, software in the distant past. When I came to the Mac platform, much of that changed. I saw the joy and genius of OS X and gladly paid for every release.

Supporting Apple software development is so important to me. They are out in front of the entire industry and I am willing to plunk down my hard earned bucks to back up that effort. For $129, it's worth every penny.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I will admit, I have downloaded alot of software, windows software mind, which all began after windows xp refused my valid serial number, which goes into a very long story, I will gladly pay the £79(?) for leopard.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I think that in all platforms, the OS is the must-buy, since your work and computer experience in general, depend on this. I will buy it, to support the people that make it.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Both Buy It AND Buy A New Mac Pro With It On It

Nobody downloads it and installs it for free. That is illegal and against all good common sense to do. Apple has spent scores of millions of dollars to bring Leopard to you. Why would you think anyone wants to steal it when they can buy it legally for $79 academic? :rolleyes: :mad:

I'll be buying it for launch day to install on the Macs I already have + Getting it pre-installed on my 8 core Mac Pro in November.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
With a slightly aged original Mac Mini, I'm looking for an upgraded computer at some point next year, so it all depends what Apple brings out. Or I may be forced to buy Leopard like I was with Tiger - EyeTV 2 wouldn't work on Panther.