buy macbook pro 13" or 15' pro?.

baldb7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Hi people.

I'm on the verge of buying my first mac, A Macbook pro, either a 13" 2.53 pro or 15"2.53GHz pro. I've decided on Model specs and i'm just debating on the size of the screen.

Main use will be to use logic and pro tools for music and also be doing the usual web, e-mail and maybe some video at a later date.

I was also toying with the idea of the white macbook just to save a bit of money.

Any advice and help will be greatly appeciated.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Hi people.

I'm on the verge of buying my first mac, A Macbook pro, either a 13" 2.53 pro or 15"2.53GHz pro. I've decided on Model specs and i'm just debating on the size of the screen.

Main use will be to use logic and pro tools for music and also be doing the usual web, e-mail and maybe some video at a later date.

I was also toying with the idea of the white macbook just to save a bit of money.

Any advice and help will be greatly appeciated.

Hey mate. if you can afford it.... I have the 15inch late 08 model for Logic and recording use. The way i look at is is if your going to be using it as you main machine i would get the 15inch, i have found the bigger the screen for music production the better.

Or you could do this option

Go for the 13inch macbook pro for on the go recording, and when at home recording get yourself a cheap external display for logic and that. Seeing the program in full instead of cut down on small screens i hate.

If you need any other further help then ill try my best

Cheers
:apple:ML

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Just pointing out.... the 13inch will run it great but the just giving you my opinion and the bigger screen and bigger space for pro tools and logic the better.

Cheers

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
If you don't mind the smaller screen, the 13" is a much better choice.

Altough, in terms of dollars per screen inch (123 Canadian $ for the 13" vs 119, 93 for the 15"), the 15-incher is cheaper, you end up paying 200$ more for the same specs... All you get is the screen real estate (which may or may not be very important for you) and two audio plugs instead of one.

If you are interested in doing video at a later date, you might as well save the 200$ for later and buy, when needed, an external monitor. You would end up having even more screen size for the same price (And you get two monitors instead of one).

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Well my motto is always buy as much as you can as you are guaranteed to future proof your investment.

See sig for further details.

baldb7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Thansk for your advise guys, i'm gonna wait till Black friday to see if i can get a decent discount on one..I love the 13inch for sheer portabilty and size, but 15 inch is my mind due to what the advosr in the apple store said to me today, he said he would prefer the 15 inch for sheer screen size.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Thansk for your advise guys, i'm gonna wait till Black friday to see if i can get a decent discount on one..I love the 13inch for sheer portabilty and size, but 15 inch is my mind due to what the advosr in the apple store said to me today, he said he would prefer the 15 inch for sheer screen size.
Its what i was told when i bought mine and i realised he was right

Good luck mate

baldb7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Looks like i will for the 13" pro unless a good discount on 15", i already have a 17" external lcd screen lying around at home so i will use that.

AFitchguy07

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
not to mention the 13 mbp is only 6bit display vs the 15&17mbp are 8bit.. 15&17 show roughly 1.7 million colors and 13 is approx 260,000 colors

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
wow....i would like to see somewhere credible that states this....
IMO anyone that isn't immediately able to write down that 8bit panels would be capable of 16 777 216 colours deserves no credibility.

To the OP I'm planning to get a 15", as it can be had with matte and has a higher display res. Weight difference is very small (especially once you add the weight of the power adapter, neoprene case, etc)

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
If it is your main machine definitely the 15", however if portability is very important maybe the 13" would be better suited.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
How does choosing a larger screen "future proof" your computer?
Well I purchased a bigger better machine, aka Badboy Pro, that is begger and better in all departments, not JUST screen size. To be honest I thought that was obvious and didn't need pointed out to fellow Macbook buyers. :rolleyes:

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
Well I purchased a bigger better machine, aka Badboy Pro, that is begger and better in all departments, not JUST screen size. To be honest I thought that was obvious and didn't need pointed out to fellow Macbook buyers. :rolleyes:
Ok...so once more. How does choosing a machine with different or better specs future proof it?

Anike

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
i have the exact same topic question! i also went to the apple store and they recommended the 15 inch however since i'm going to university in two years i was planning on using the mac and was thinking if the mac is going too big for class use? or will it be fine. Also, when you would bring your laptop to school how do you keep it protected. i have a pocket in my backpack, but i don't want to risk that. so i'm not sure if i should buy a sleeve or an actual laptop bag. and btw does anybody know the discounts for the MBP in canada for black friday? and will the sale be available at the retail store too?
also, i want to stay to a $2000 budget as close as possible. i'll be buying the FCE along with my mac so that adds $200. btw check out my topic and please help me out. also i will not be using an external monitor, because i will be all over the house and such. and we don't have an extra one.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/823007/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.