Buy Macbook Pro 2.6 Now Or Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike.C, Nov 14, 2007.

  1. Mike.C macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2007
    HEY GUYS! I JUST JOINED THIS FORUM. I"m looking forward to join the Apple family! I would need alot of advice and help from you guys! Thanks in advance!

    Hey guys I'M having a really hard time right now because I havE people telling me different stories. I just ordered my macbook pro 2.6 and i'm recieving it on Nov 28 but some people are telling me that there will be a new macbook pro in january? Is that correct? SHOULD I CANCEL IT ? Is it worth buying it? i have no idea what to cause like I won't want to buy it if something new is coming up the very next month~

    what is this I hear about MACBOOK PRO that is coming out in january... is there really gonna be a huge upgrade? SHOULD I WAIT OR NOT AH HELP ME!

    hope to hear from you guys! BY THE WAY, THIS will be my first mac ever!
  2. TopRawman macrumors newbie


    Nov 12, 2007
    I feel your pain. Well there definitely is going to be a new MBP in January, how much better? Who on these forums really knows... But since you ordered your MBP before 12/24, you have until 1/08/08 to get an RMA to return it which is plenty of time to test drive your new baby (although you will get dinged 10% restocking fee).

    I haven't pulled the trigger on a MBP yet, but when I do its good to know that instead of the traditional 14 days, I have almost a couple months if I change my mind and want to get the new updated MBP.
  3. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    Come on, there's always something new around January.

    If you didn't know, I doubt you're really the type with your credit card primed to go minutes after the end of a keynote... so are you really going to be so bothered if something does or does not come out in 2 months' time?

    Up until then, you'll have been using the greatest MBP available to the market. Don't deprive yourself if you can comfortably justify purchasing what's out now, or you'll never buy anything.
  4. Josheua macrumors regular

    Nov 2, 2007
    United States
    Here is the general lowdown of what is going on in the Macbook Pro World as of Late:
    In the past year, Intel finalized their plans to introduce their new Core 2 Duo Mobile Chips under the name Penryn. This essentially is a new chip built around the 45-nm process, first products of which were recently released in the form of the updated Penryn Xeon processors slated for insertion into Mac Pro. These new chips result in a boost in performance (though not extremely large), decreased power usage, decreased heat production, and increased maximum clock speed over their current generation 65-nm Core 2 Duo Mobile chips. Their release date was finalized for Q1 2008, expected to be January 2008. As such, many believe that due to the proximity of the new Chip’s official release date to that of Macworld 2008, Apple will use the keynote as a platform to introduce updated Macbook Pro’s.
    However the issue/argument comes not over IF this will happen but the magnitude of the line’s overhaul as well as the time between announcement of this product and when it will be in consumers hand:

    The Optimist
    Some of the Macrumors readers believe that the January 2008 update will feature the first major overhaul of the Pro-series notebooks since the introduction of the aluminum Powerbooks. There are a few things that point to the possibility of this upgrade:
    • “5-Year” anniversary of the Aluminum form factor
    • Movement of entire Apple line to new style keyboard sans the Macbook Pro
    • Introduction of a New Case design that will become the form factor for the Macbook Pro line as the launch of the new Intel chipset "eaglelake", set for release in Q2 2008, approaches (which has new features Apple would most likely include in their new notebooks)
    • Rumored Ultraportable Macbook Pro would point toward a change in design across the line.

    However, there are numerous reasons this might not occur:
    • Tried and True Design does not need to be changed to include new Penryn Processors and true complete upgrade may wait until the updated Chipset in Q2
    • Macbook Style keyboard (currently) features no backlight, a popular feature on current generation macbook pro’s and something that the company may wait to refine until the complete overhaul that may occur in Q2 (thought this isn't a strong rebutle as adding this feature would be quite easy)

    The Speed-Addict
    Other Macrumors readers believe January 2008 will be a speed bump in current generation Macbook Pro’s and nothing else. The reasons that lead to this opinion are similar to the reason Apple would not redesign the Macbook Pro, but here they are.
    • Apple has a tendency to stay up to date with the latest intel technology (following the Intel Roadmap)
    • The Tried and True design does not need to be changed to include the newer processors.
    • Current technology is popular among consumers and does not need to be changed to maintain healthy sales of the Macbook Pro

    However, there are rumors that vote against this opinion as well.
    • If Apple does introduce the ultraportable macbook pro, it would most likely include the new Macbook style keyboard and new form factor. This would suggest, to keep consistency across the line, a complete redesign of the line to keep consistency (something Apple Likes, a lot)
    • 5-years of few changes to the line lends readers to believe it is time for Apple to add something to the product.

    Now that we have addressed the signs pointing towards the different magnitude of upgrades, its important to look at the time between announcement of the product and the time it will take to be in consumers hands.

    “…and it is available on our online Store and in Apple Stores everywhere today (or within the week)…”
    With Apple recent history of stocking products in stores the day they are announced, many people believe that the new Macbook Pro will be available for purchase and local Apple Stores the day of or by at least the end of the week. The reasons for:

    • iMac Redesign was in Consumers Hands the day it was released
    • iPod Classic and iPod Nano 3G available within a week of announcement

    The Reasons Against
    • Penryn Will only be available in January of 2008, meaning supplies could be limited and order times long for custom order mac's such as the one you currently have on order.
    • Shipment times for updates to the Macbook Pro's have historically been some time after announcement, lending people to a late january early february arrival date.

    All of this is meant as a summary of what all has been said on the forum about upcomming Macbook Pro's. I hope it helps. In general, it is expected Apple will preform some sort of update in 2008. However, you will have to use the above and your own judgement to determine if it is worth the wait and if you think the update will be something that truley makes your macbook pro "outdated." Just remember current generation macbook pro's are great machines that will last you a long time. On top of that, the 65nm chips are tried and true technology. The 45nm Penryn's are brand new and are bound to have some problems as they get off the ground. There are always risks with the latest and greatest, but the benefits may also outway them. Good luck and enjoy the mac you end up purchasing.

    -Josh :apple:

    (P.S. If anyone has anything to add or argue, feel free, I wrote this mostly from memory of what I have read)
  5. Mike.C thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks Alot Guys

    Man you guys are really helpful and awesome! Yeah it is a struggle to decide~ but I'll take your comments into my judgement! thanks!
  6. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    At Macworld 06 people were frothing at the mouth because of 1.83 Core we have 2.6GHz Core 2s?! Insane. :D We've come quite a way!

    I'm waiting til January, but that's only because I have a MacBook Core 2 Duo to tide me over. If I didn't, I'd have bought the MBP the moment the "Santa Rosa" models came out this summer.

    The only thing that holds me back now is knowing the current model's been out almost 6 months now, and when I buy an MBP, I want it to be new for some time so I can feel I've eaked the most value out of it (I'm a student :()
  7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Cancel the order and then drive yourself totally mad with anxiety waiting for OS 10.6. It's only 3 years away.
  8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000


    Jun 6, 2007
    Canada EH!!!
    Like I have seen in soooo many threads when rumors start to go around about an update to ANY Apple product ........ If you need it NOW, buy it now .... if you can wait then wait and buy your new Mac or iPod just after an upgrade occurs.

  9. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    I sure hope not...especially if Apple dump PPC (unlikely but possible) it will be MUCH less than 3 years...
  10. skye12 macrumors 65816


    Nov 11, 2006
    Austin, Tx
    Feel its a no brainer to wait. Major new processors, better screens and
    who knows what else.

    If you ask the question, then you can wait 2 months. I am.
  11. Josheua macrumors regular

    Nov 2, 2007
    United States
    I thought there was already a report that Apple planned to stop supporting Power PC with 10.6 or maybe I am hearing things. I was pretty sure though.
  12. DataThief macrumors member

    Jul 30, 2007
    Somewere in Washington State
    Wait, my windows laptop just died and since right now I can wait a few months going to see if anything new comes out of Macworld 08 in the MBP line. Not interested in the ultraportable unless it comes out in 15". This also will be my first mac.
  13. mattwe macrumors member

    Nov 9, 2007
    Best post I have seen on the situation of late - well done!!

    I am in the same situation (except I didn't order the 2.6, I was about 2 clicks from it when I decided not to) and am waiting. Although it is killing me because I went from an Ubuntu laptop Skinned to be like a mac to my wife's backup Windows PC, while she works from a brand new Macbook. Green with envy.
  14. ElCapitan macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2007
    For the longest time now, I've been telling myself I was going to wait until Macworld to see if they were truly going to update the MBP. However, I am taking a class that is strictly FCP. ATM, I am strictly PC, but I have been wanting to get a Mac for a few months now to switch over from Premiere Pro to FCS. Anyways, I need my MBP for next semester, so I cannot afford to wait as much as into the middle of Feb to get mine. As much as I would love to get the updated MBP's, whenever they come out, they wont be a dramatic increase in performace, which I can live with.
  15. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    But how about the dramatic decrease in price? ;) We've had these MBPs since June and they've held their price, a newer model will knock them down so you aren't paying the same as what people were paying when it was brand new months ago.

    In that respect, It'd still be worth your while to wait
  16. ElCapitan macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2007
    Well I am planning on getting a BTO off the website, so I wouldn't be able to get the older model when the new model becomes available online. Also I really need it for when the semester starts. I need to learn my way around FCS seeing as I am skipping the class that is an intro to FCP on the advice of my professor.
  17. bubblegum80 macrumors member

    Oct 25, 2007
    Unless you need the portability. Cancel it, and buy an iMac. You will enjoy it more, and save some moolah.
  18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603


    Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    You're killin' me bro, seriously.
  19. fewture macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2006
    yep its only 2 months away. So its not long, and could be very worthy to wait (its only 2 months!! - yes may be some extra shipping time but probably not too bad)

    If you do buy now, and the better option comes out in only 2 months, don't post anything here about how you are unhappy they released a new one 2 months after you bought your laptop.

    Macworld could signal a new design for MBP etc - I am waiting, a lot of people are..
  20. bubblegum80 macrumors member

    Oct 25, 2007
    I guess you, and a lot of people are going to be disappointed, come Macworld.

    Release a major update after the holiday season. When people are short on money world-wide, and are looking to get the post-holiday home sales from most shops. Genius!

    Computers will always get outdated. Buy what you want now, and start enjoying it. Don't be one of those freaks, that endlessly wait for nothing. Its not like the update is going to be revolutionary, or will make your breakfast for you in the morning.
  21. Temuco macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2007
    Kunming, China
    Bet on Penryn in MacBook Pro's in January

    A couple of things that haven't been mentioned:

    There is a good chance Apple has pre-purchased Penryn chips from Intel for the Mac Pro and possibly for the MacBook Pro.

    Intel opened a new state of the art chip manufacturing plant in Arizona to make 45nm chips (Penryn) and started production in October. Penryn was announced by Intel on Nov. 12. Apple updated the MacBook to the Santa Rosa chipset Nov. 1. The MacBook is now as fast as a low to medium MacBook Pro. To keep the line MBP vigorous (it's overdue for an update anyway) and distinguish it from the MacBook it's quite likely that Apple will release the Macbook Pro with Penryn. Otherwise it's not that much better than a MacBook. Why pay the extra dough if it only has a larger screen and more dram.

    The bigger news is the new non optical flash drives. They could really change things and speed up all computers. It's been reported here a MBP had one installed and boots Leopard in 20 seconds::D

    My problem is I need a laptop in December for a trip to China but I won't buy old technology so I guess I'll have to wait for January and be laptopless in China:mad:

    If anybody has any news on MBP updates I'd sure like to hear it.
  22. georgi0 macrumors regular


    Aug 21, 2006
    I'll tell you the best solution:

    1. Cancel the order
    2. Place a new one for a plain macbook (choose the middle one)
    3. Give yourself a treat and get a vacation along with your new macbook using the money from the difference between the 2 laptops!
    4. When you get back you'll read that the new MBP are postponed for summer (Yeahhh.. dream on..)

  23. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    How would dropping PowerPC support make this any quicker? Any new code written runs fine on Intel, PowerPC and ARM, unless it is written by imbeciles.

Share This Page