buy macbook pro 2011 or wait for 2012 design overhaul>

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparshdgr8, Feb 28, 2011.

1. sparshdgr8 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first thread on Macrumours...
    I am keen on buying a macbook pro this june but now i am unsure whether i should wait for the 2012 change in the design of macbook pro or not? I mean, will the change is design practically effect the usability of the macbook pro for a common user?
    I am desperate to buy macbook pro, but dont want it to be outdated so quick, and i dont want to even wait for another year... I just want that my macbook pro to perform at par with the rest notebooks...

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I would wait. They've put a powerful chip in the laptops, but then crippled it with ****** graphics. Hopefully, next year will bring a new thinner design with the hybrid SSD that contains the OS as was rumored for this update. There are prototypes out there for this design and it's just a matter of time before Apple implements it. I think this last update was put together hurriedly because of supply problems with some components and we didn't see the full intent of what the designers were working on.

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

well first let me say i still have a 2006 blackbook 2.0ghz C2D 2gb Ram 120gb hdd that i gave to my fiance and she uses everyday flawlessly with snow leopard so your purchase will have some life to it.

Since you are waiting until june that does make it a difficult decision but the there are 2 questions you need to ask yourself. What do you really use it for and what is the most you could use it for. and when do you need it? since your saying june that means your current computer did not die on you so it could probably hold out until feb 12 or they might even do slight spec bump in october like they did last year offering a BTO 2.8 ghz i7 in the 15/17" models.

But if you think about it too much you will enter the infinite loop of now and next in technology theres always something newer faster and better but if you really wont utilize it then dont worry.

4. negatv1 macrumors 6502

Just to be safe, you might want to wait until the 2013 model. I've heard that is going to be the best one to date. :rolleyes:

5. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Naaaaa, 2014 should be better apparently :D

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

****** graphics? Yea, so the 6750m 1gb graphics card sucks?

7. ozred macrumors 6502

8. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

What about the one in 2014, that is one going to be even better?

Seriously though how do you know there will be a redesign in 2012 and really what difference would it make if you have this years model instead of that one. I bought the last update of the previous release (early 2008) and I have used it happily for 3 years. I bought the latest revision last week and I'm sure that will also serve me well for the next 3 years irrespective of any new models that are released in that time.

9. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

The future told me that in 2015 they are releasing new laptops that are even better. Also being released, a new program that helps users speculate about multiple futures so that they never have to actually buy anything and are not burdened with the ownership of a real computer.

10. articcine macrumors regular

Buy now! If the specs are good enough for you, which they probably are, don't wait! We don't know if they'll even change the design, but if they will, I doubt that the current one will be outdated!

11. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

First off, there is no reason to assume that there will be a physical redesign. Period.

Second, if you can buy it in June, I say just go for it. Any later and I'd wait for the next refresh which, I'd bank on being November. They have an 8-10 month refresh cycle ordinarily, so If you're not buying it before the middle of the cycle, wait if you can as you'll maximize the amount of time you have with whatever you buy before it's replaced, which maximizes the time you have with the machine before ultimately replacing it 3-6 years down the road.

Otherwise, there will always be a faster MacBook Pro down the road.

First off, the 6750 is the best mobile GPU that has ever graced an Apple portable. 1GB of VRAM in a Mac laptop is unheard of. I'll agree with you on the HD 3000 and the Radeon HD 6490M, but only when comparing those to their respective Mid 2010 MacBook Pro counterparts. Otherwise, they're not too shabby either.

Second, does the thing really need to be thinner? Or does Apple need to release a 15" and 17" MacBook Air for you people?

Third "put together hurriedly"? It's the most significant MacBook Pro update since the Intel transition began and you balk at what it brought? Sure, the graphics on the lower-end 15" machine could've been better and there's nothing anyone can do about the graphics on the 13" Pro, but really, come on, this is a pretty substantial upgrade here.

12. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Not to be harsh but how would anyone on here be able to answer those questions when almost no-one outside of upper level Apple staff would have any idea at all what or when Apple will update/redesign the next Macbooks?

It should not have escaped your notice that Apple give away no advance information about upcoming models at all, ever.
    If they did then there would be no need for Macrumors.

The clues in the name, btw MacRumors.

/thread

13. Oz. macrumors regular

Oz.

You have to wait for 2015 model, it will come with holographic display.

14. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Well... let me give you MY opinion on the matter.

At first I thought Apple were to Air-inize the 2011 generation of MBPs. Remove the ODD, squeeze in a larger battery and Quad Cores, etc..
    They, however managed to put in some Quads WITHOUT losing the SuperDrive. A move I had never expected.
    So that got me thinking. And now, I believe I understand Apple's plan.

Remember back in 2008 when the Unibodies were introduced? Look at the spec-sheet. They were, technologically, the same to the early 2008 NON-unibody MBPs. Same Penryn-class Core 2 Duo CPU, same GPUs (8600m and 9600m are the same GPU just with the die shrunk and the clock moving slightly up).
    But still people were buying the new and improved Unibodies like MAD.

Looking at Intel's CPU roadmap, one can clearly see, that the current Sandy Bridge is a total design overhaul, while the 2012 Ivy Bridge will just be shrinking the die so it draws less power, gets less hot, and runs a bit faster.
    If Apple were STILL using Dual Core Sandy Bridge CPUs in the 15" & 17" in it's 2011 models, I'd say, if you don't desperately NEED a new machine, wait.
    BUT, since they already incorporated Quads in 2011 the speed gains will only be modest in 2012. They will then only introduce a new design, so people get interested again, since nothing really groundbreaking will happen spec-wise.

So my advice is as follows:
    You want a powerful NON-gaming machine / office machine that lasts a couple years: -> get the 'low'end 2.0GHz 15" MBP

You want a powerful machine for office AND gaming: -> get the 'high' end 2.2GHz 15"/17" MBP

You have time to wait and do NOT need a new Notebook NOW, consider this:

The 2012 models are likely to lose the SuperDrive, they will NOT gain Bluray, so don't wait for that.
    They will be somewhat lighter, maybe around 300 - 500g / 1/2 - 1pound.
    They will of course be faster, but not by a large margin. Expect somthing around 5-10%, which will, however, be seldom noticable, unless they use SSDs, which you can put into the 2011 models as well.

I hope that helped and made your decision a lot easier. If you have some other questions coming up, feel free to ask...

15. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Your advice on the current models is sound. Your predictions on the next rev however, are ridiculous. They still have a while with this design to go. Not every single MBP release is a show-stopper. Your logic also doesn't account for the Mid 2009 MacBook Pro revision which was largely underwhelming save for the 13" Pro introduction. Also, as much as people on these forums want them gone, Apple isn't doing away with the optical drives on their "MacBook Pro" laptops anytime soon as there are still way too many applications where having a built-in drive is hands down more convenient than not. Plus they don't have as much of a chokehold on the software and film industry as they do on the music download industry. Nice try though.

16. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

With all respect, you may want to re-read my post. The very first line says it all... this is MY OPINION. NOT what I do know with certainty.

Yes, I agree, the 2009 models were not that big an overhaul. Except for the introduction of the 13" MBP, the sealed in batteries and the SD card slots. Truth be told. There is, however, no logic behind redesigning your machines within one year.

Me assuming the redesign is based on the following:
    1. Normal cycles for design overhauls seem to be b/w 2-4years for consumer grade machines. The current MacBook Pro design would fit right into this schedule.

2. Intel and AMD/ATI's 2012 roadmap tells us to expect no big leaps (wait for 2013/2014 for Haswell to be a bigger improvement). Apple, however, likes to sell us their next magical and revolutionary MBP. Do I believe there will be no significant change? Not likely if you ask me.

3. Apple's own marketing: MBA The future of MacBooks. What that means exactly is open to discussion. But it does seem viable, that the MBP will take some features from the MBA.

4. Apple's issues with Bluray and the Mac App Store.
    It seems Apple is embracing the digital/online distribution of all things media. First music, then movies, now applications. Also there seems to be an ever increasing move to the cloud. Additionally, REMOVING could be sold as revolutionary. While keeping a DVD drive, but NO Bluray drive would hardly convince anyone.

5. The sources who claimed to have knowledge about the new 2011 MBPs have mostly been wrong. There, however, seem to be numerous sources claiming the above changes. I don't fully believe these rumors were wrong. They might just have been related to a yet-to-be-released prototype or other test-bed.

6. The market.
    Look at the MacBook PRO. Emphasis on PRO. Especially the 15" and 17" models are not MEANT for the average Jane and Joe, how could hardly afford it anyway. Yes DVD drives are great features... for watching DVD movies etc. But else? If you are a student of some other form of consumer, who wants to hook it up to the Big Screen or who hasn't got any other TV / DVD player / Bluray player, the SuperDrive is mighty useful. Therefore I don't believe it will be axed from the MacBook (non-Pro) any time soon.
    But for the professionals. They don't NEED a DVD burner in their MacBook Pros taking up valuable space. They might want a Bluray SuperDrive for their video editing / authoring, which they will not get. Chances are, however, if you NEED a Bluray drive for your working-life / to make money, you have a stationary machine to take care of that.
    But by now... a DVD drive is purely WASTED on a Pro-grade machine.

These here things ALL TOGETHER lead me to believing there will be a design overhaul in the near future. I don't claim, however, that this is or will be 100% accurate.
    Maybe Apple pulls a 2008. Releasing an early 2011 model before March, and introducing a new design in October.
    Maybe, and if you ask me, most likely they will take care of the redesigning in the 2012 model. Or pull a 2008 in THAT year.

The one thing we know that very few things are ever REALLY certain with Apple. But the evidence that is there, is clearly pointing in the same direction as I do.

17. sparshdgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you that no advanced info. is given by apple, but to be on the safer side, we must consider the predictions before buying...

18. punchwalk macrumors regular

If you're ready for a new laptop from a practical and financial standpoint, then buy the new one. No laptop is ever going to be perfect, but this refresh is a certain improvement and no doubt a great machine that can get you through the next 4 years capably if you care for it.

19. sparshdgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... It seems i am convinced to buy the 2011 version itself...

20. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I got my updated MBP last year after 3 years. I'm happy holding on for another couple of years before updating again. It's a huge waste of money to always chase after the newest thing.

21. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

If you want the 13", wait since the current are crappy. If you want 15" or 17" just buy now.

22. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Couldn't have said it better. I keep wondering, when people speak of the 2012 redesign (which is completely speculative; by no means, a forgone conclusion) are they referring to the next refresh (which I think will be at the end of this year: November or December) or two refreshes from now ( probably in 2012)? Not that it entirely matters, as I'm not gonna mark down Apple redesign in my calendar based on what I read here. I think the Macbook will look outwardly different after a refresh or two, but what's wrong with the current design? Does it have something to do with the ubiquity of it in coffeeshops? Or does everyone here have an insatiable thirst for novelty?

23. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

IMHO, ALL of these kinds of posts have the same answer; again In MY OPINION...

If you NEED a system, buy it now.

If you WANT a new system, and can get by with what you have, wait.

Like one other poster said; if you always wait for the latest/greatest, you'll never buy anything. There will always be something better around the corner. There's also no such thing as "future proofing". Again, get what you need, or can afford. My sons 13", white refurb MB runs Office 2011 as good as my 2010 13"MBP. The only difference is backlit keyboard/screen. Other than that, the computing experience is the same. Mine loads a little faster, in terms of boot up, but I rarely reboot. Neither does he, so it's moot to some degree.

Lastly, I used to be an avid MS/HP guy. Since moving to Mac's in early 2007, I've never been happier. Our 20" iMac is as fast and nice as the newest ones they offer now, to us at least. The nice thing is if we decide we WANT a better system, we can sell what we have and get a new one. Mac's hold their value extremely well, so as long as their in decent shape. I'd have no problem selling my son's MB for $500 - $600 USD, and put that toward's a new MBP. If you're really worried about $$, get a refurb to get you by, then IF and when the new one's arrive, sell it, and get the new fancy stuff...

Either way, you'll be happy...

24. fil3333 macrumors member

except the design, this is one of the biggest updates i've ever seen from apple. so if you need a mac buy it now. everything else is speculation. and its completely unknown whether they change design or not next revision.... and dont get unconfident when you read smth like ****** graphics or my favorite 'why does apple hate macbook pro users' :eek:
    its by far the most powerful gpu ever been in a macbook. some gamers are suffering obviously not knowing they are defentiely buying the wrong brand :D
    i've seen many gaming notebooks and they really have better gpu's inside. however comparing overall this gaming notebooks are complete ****** compared to any macbook pro. :cool:
    it should be more like 'why apple doesnt like gamers who are buying a notebook' and the answer is very simple... because they dont want to produce 5kg bricks with an aircraft blast pipe inside. :D

25. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I think this topic is relevant for this discussion:

http://goo.gl/2NOJ