Buy Macbook Pro Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by King Apple, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. King Apple macrumors regular

    King Apple

    Mar 17, 2010
    Quick question. Should I buy a Macbook Pro now, or wait until Lion is released? Wouldn't you rather have a Macbook Pro already factory preinstalled with Lion?
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    You get a free update to Lion, if you buy now. Therefore, if you need now, buy now, as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is currently very stable, but Lion will not be until it reaches 10.7.3 or 10.7.4.
  3. gmans46 macrumors regular

    Feb 24, 2011
    i agree buy now no reason not too the upgrade shouldnt take too long anyway
  4. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    Personally, I'd rather have the system ship with Lion but its not really that big of a deal considering you get a free upgrade.
  5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040


    May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I wouldn't say that. I use Lion Beta in a production issues at all.
  6. kjmff5 macrumors regular

    Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah as stated, just get it now. You are going to get Lion either way, and really is there an advantage of having it factory installed?
    BTW I bought a MBP a few weeks after Snow Leopard was released and I just got a factory CD for Leopard and a generic SL CD that I had to install myself (OSX 10.5 Was installed when I turned on my MBP). But considering Lion will not come on a CD, they may actually give you a computer with it installed. Dunno for sure though.
  7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Mar 31, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I'd recommend getting one now; as others have stated, you get the upgrade to Lion for free. Now concerning which one to get, what are you going to be using the machine for? Both machines are great but they serve specific purposes (if you're going to be doing CPU intensive like editing).

    If you're thinking about the Air, I'd wait until July to see if they release a Sandy Bridge version; the Mac Pro and the Mini are rumored to get Sandy Bridge processors so I'd wait and see. I'm sitting on an upgraded BlackBook right now that I'm looking to sell (any takers?) but I'm waiting to see if the Airs come out. If not It will be a hard trade.

    If you're thinking about getting a Pro, get one now. They just got upgraded so you won't be missing anything.
  8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2007
    if i buy a apple refurb from the site do a get a free lion upgrade also?
  9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030


    May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    i would say, the answer is yes.
  10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 17, 2011
    I'd buy it now since Lion will be a free upgrade.
  11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    Refurbs do not qualify for the free update. Best bet would be to wait until it comes out.

    Any apple computer purchased NEW between June 6th and the day Lion is available may request a free upgrade to Lion.
  12. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    How badly do you need the MBP now? If you need it, get it now - the upgrade will be available shortly; if, however, time is not so pressing, I'd suggest you wait and see what the upgrade brings, and, if you like the look, sound of it, reviews, etc, of it, well, buy it then.
  13. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    I think they may be including refurbs in there. I got Leopard with a refurb when it was released.
  14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    Refurbs get the free update AFTER it is released. The Apple up to date program does not include refurbs since the program only gives the update to those that purchased it after 6/6 and before Lion's release date (let's say tomorrow).

Share This Page