Buy Macbook Pro Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by King Apple, Jun 19, 2011.

1. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

Quick question. Should I buy a Macbook Pro now, or wait until Lion is released? Wouldn't you rather have a Macbook Pro already factory preinstalled with Lion?

2. simsaladimbamba

You get a free update to Lion, if you buy now. Therefore, if you need now, buy now, as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is currently very stable, but Lion will not be until it reaches 10.7.3 or 10.7.4.

3. gmans46 macrumors regular

i agree buy now no reason not too the upgrade shouldnt take too long anyway

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Personally, I'd rather have the system ship with Lion but its not really that big of a deal considering you get a free upgrade.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I wouldn't say that. I use Lion Beta in a production environment...no issues at all.

6. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Yeah as stated, just get it now. You are going to get Lion either way, and really is there an advantage of having it factory installed?
    BTW I bought a MBP a few weeks after Snow Leopard was released and I just got a factory CD for Leopard and a generic SL CD that I had to install myself (OSX 10.5 Was installed when I turned on my MBP). But considering Lion will not come on a CD, they may actually give you a computer with it installed. Dunno for sure though.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd recommend getting one now; as others have stated, you get the upgrade to Lion for free. Now concerning which one to get, what are you going to be using the machine for? Both machines are great but they serve specific purposes (if you're going to be doing CPU intensive like editing).

If you're thinking about the Air, I'd wait until July to see if they release a Sandy Bridge version; the Mac Pro and the Mini are rumored to get Sandy Bridge processors so I'd wait and see. I'm sitting on an upgraded BlackBook right now that I'm looking to sell (any takers?) but I'm waiting to see if the Airs come out. If not It will be a hard trade.

If you're thinking about getting a Pro, get one now. They just got upgraded so you won't be missing anything.

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

if i buy a apple refurb from the site do a get a free lion upgrade also?

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i would say, the answer is yes.

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd buy it now since Lion will be a free upgrade.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Refurbs do not qualify for the free update. Best bet would be to wait until it comes out.

Any apple computer purchased NEW between June 6th and the day Lion is available may request a free upgrade to Lion.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How badly do you need the MBP now? If you need it, get it now - the upgrade will be available shortly; if, however, time is not so pressing, I'd suggest you wait and see what the upgrade brings, and, if you like the look, sound of it, reviews, etc, of it, well, buy it then.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think they may be including refurbs in there. I got Leopard with a refurb when it was released.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Refurbs get the free update AFTER it is released. The Apple up to date program does not include refurbs since the program only gives the update to those that purchased it after 6/6 and before Lion's release date (let's say tomorrow).