Buy MBP 13" now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quencher, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. Quencher macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #1
    Hi guys! :)

    I'm continuing at the university in the start of February, and my old laptop have just been stamped as written-off by the insurance company.
    I have for a long time wanted to have a MacBook Pro, and now I have the chance to buy one.

    I know that they are soon about to upgrade the MBP 13", and I would of course prefer a new and better MBP. The problem is as stated, that I continue at the university in the start of February, and it is of course best to bring a laptop.

    What should I do? Should I buy the MBP 13" now or should I wait?
    I have read some of the prediction threads, but just got more confused.
    I am willing to write on paper for some time at the university, if it means I get one of the new MBP 13".

    I hope you can help me decide what to do...

    Thanks in advance!

    Best regards
    Rasmus
     
  2. DKfraDK macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #2
    Definitely wait :)

    The last refresh was in april.
    And Intel has just released Sandy Bridge a few days ago :)

    Wait :cool:
     
  3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

    Frosties

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    Sweden
    #3
    If you are after the 13" MBP then you should wait. The MBA is even a better priced product.
     
  4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    Unless you do anything that requires some healthy CPU power. I'm not a fan of those Air CPUs.
     
  5. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    Umm no its not. The 13" MBA is £100 more expensive, has a slower CPU, half the RAM, half the storage, no backlit keyboard etc.
     
  6. Frosties, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

    Frosties macrumors 6502a

    Frosties

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    Sweden
    #6
    In my view you are right and wrong at the same time here due to different designs.

    If you are even looking at the 13" size of apple's computers and especially the 13" MBP you have already discarded the cpu as something important. Just remember Steve Jobs over sell about the graphics card (if it's so good in the 13" MBP then it's just as good in the air negating the older and slower cpu) and taking into account that the air have a ssd as standard the air comes out as the winner in a speed race. It also have a better high resolution display and is much easer to carry around in your hand. The air just have a better design not counting the backlit keyboard. That is something that comes in the next version as a letter in the mail.

    The VAT has raised the price in the UK. with 4GB ram you are ok for the most part, the storage is not that important in a lightweight computer as nowadays you use a NAS and clouds for group editing but a 256GB SSD in my thinking is enough.

    Anyway, that's my reasoning. For me the MBP starts at 15" with the lineup out now.
     
  7. Quencher thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #8
    I'm primarily going to use it for 50% school + 50% audio producing in Logic, so that is why I have been looking after the MBP.
    When do you think they will release a new 13"?
     
  8. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    Re the CPU. Why? The C2D is still a decent chip, and the 2.4Ghz one in the Pro is miles ahead of the 1.8Ghz one in the Air.

    VAT has raised the price of both, so I don't see your argument there.

    As for RAM, if you want 4GB of RAM in the air then you have to pay an extra £80, thus taking the difference upto around £200 (as 4GB of RAM comes standard in the Pro).
     
  9. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #10
    Does your university provide computer labs where you can go use a computer when needed? If so then you'd be best off to wait.
     
  10. Quencher thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #11
    Yes, we do have computer labs which is accessable 24/7 and I also have my own desktop PC.
    The problem is that we are having class teaching each day together with project work after the class teaching, and in both it is a good idea to bring your laptop.

    And guys, can't you discuss the MBP vs. MBA another place? :)
     
  11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

    Frosties

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2009
    Location:
    Sweden
    #12
    Sorry for that. Hope you got something from my post, and good luck with your purchase. With multiple tracks laid down you will be benefited by a fast cpu but you also should consider a ssd as that gives good speed when it comes to read/write.
     
  12. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #13
    As the saying goes, if you "need" it now, buy it now; if you can wait, then do so.

    Sounds like you have a decision to make.

    Maybe you could find a used macbook to buy and use for three to six months; resell it after the refresh (whenever it happens) and buy the new version. If you're savvy in buying the used one, then cost of owning it for a few months (what you see it for vs what you bought it for) should be relatively low.
     
  13. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #14
    Are their features you want to be able to use on the MBP which don't currently exist? (ex: Blu Ray, HDMI port, USB 3, SATA3, dual hard drive capability, etc).

    If the current computer will satisfy all of your needs, there is no real reason to wait. Maybe a middle of the road argument is to wait till the end of January and if they haven't released it, buy one now. I use my 13 for everything you list and it is more than capable, and I decided not to go for this next update as my current MBP satisfies my needs amazingly well (and it still looks and functions like it is new). The current Core 2 Duo processor is more than capable and it has often been shown to be superior to the i3 (mind you the i5 is considerably faster and the i7 is lightspeed compared to all of the latter).

    I doubt you will see the i7 in the 13 inch MBP, and if you do, the 13 inch MBP is not going to costs $1,200 anymore. Most laptops in the size and weight of the 13 use i3 and some use i5 (of course there are exceptions). Usually, the 15 and 17 have greater speeds to partly warrant their significantly higher price. If quad cores will come to the MBP is debated; the Core 2 Quad (4 cores) laptop processors were never utilized by Apple, although the Core 2 Duo (2 cores) was the processor of choice for years in the MBP, and it is still the product of choice for the MacBook Air, which was revised only a few months ago.

    One thing not considered often is how the update will impact the price if Mac goes to quad core processors or solid state drives as standard features; it obviously is going to increase the base price, but buy how much you can only speculate. The price on the 'entry level' quad core processors is about twice as expensive as the C2D (last I read) and the costs of an i7 quad core Sandy Bridge will obviously not be cheaper.
     
  14. Quencher thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #15
    Thanks for your very good answer NickZac. You are right in many of the things you say, but I have always been the type prefering to buy new stuff, because it just give me more satisfaction because it is entirely new.

    I think I will try to research if a friend of mine has a laptop which they don't use that I might borrow. Then I can wait buying the MBP until it is being released, which I hope they do in january or february. :)
     
  15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #16
    If you're using itfor audio then definitely wait. I have the 2.4ghz 13" and I find the core2duo a little underpowered when working in pro tools. For mixing it's fine. But for tracking, it's hard to keep the buffers low for low latency when tracking audio or for playing VIs. Especially when the session reaches a modest but decent size. I'm definitely upgrading when the 2011 comes out. Might even be moving to the 15", bit I'm not counting out the 13" yet until I see what CPU they stick in it is time around.
     
  16. Quencher thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #17
    I think a 15" is a bit too expensive for me, so that is why I think the 13" would be a good choice because I'm going to use it both for school and for audio production. :)
     
  17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #18
    Right. But if you wait you'll get at least a little CPU bump. Maybe more than a little, even if you stick with the 13". Every little bit counts if you're doing audio work.
     
  18. gigi11192 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2010
    #19
    There are no reasons not to wait...

    the next generation MBP with the next-generation processor is just around the corner.

    I have been waiting for 1 year and it is about to happen.
    So I suggest you do the same. At most 2months I think.
     
  19. wisty macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    #20
    Clock for clock, the i3 is a bit faster than the C2D; and Sandy Bridge is faster still. In Audio, this will matter a bit. My 2.0 GHz Core Duo (rev 1,1 MacBook) is painfully slow with audio, and a 2.4 GHz C2D won't be much better.

    A current i3 is a little better than the C2D, but not much. Sandy Bridge has better bursting, which speeds up single-threaded programs a lot (which is good, since base clock-speeds haven't moved much in 5+ years), but it might not be there on the low-end chips, I'm not really sure.

    The top-of-the-line MBA has a few advantages - 1440 by 900 display (rather than 1280x800), and a fast SSD. A faster HDD is an insane speed boost in a lot of circumstances.

    You can wait for the MBP to upgrade the screen, and get a BTO SSD drive.

    The disadvantage of the next hypothetical MBP is that it may have Intel graphics. These are likely to be a bit slower than nVidia (about one generation worse), though nowhere near as horrible as their current offerings. Also, battery life might be even better.
     
  20. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #21
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I would wait and If apple make the new one too expensive rush down to your local apple store and they usually have them pretty cheap.
     
  21. tim100 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #22
    Moving parts

    My concern is apple will get rid of super drive and hd. We may see a MacBook pro with sad and longer battery. That's more important to me than a small CPU increase. Even the iPad meets a lot of my needs.
     
  22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

    docal97

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Location:
    Southampton
    #23

    That seems like a good bet. If you can use another laptop for a few months, then you will get whatever the latest machine is going to be, and have no regrets. I think an announcement in Jan/Feb wont happen, b/c of the new Verizon Iphone and Ipad announcements. Plus Apple traditionally refreshes the laptop line in the spring.
     
  23. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #24
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    But if they did refresh in spring that would make it almost a year without an update. Apple wouldn't make it that much of a gap.
     
  24. C64 macrumors 65816

    C64

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2008
    #25
    One the one hand I don't think Apple would really care. I don't know if MacBook Pro sales are hurting right now because there hasn't been a refresh for a while. Because most Apple-users are loyal they'll wait anyways instead of buying a PC. The only problem is switchers, but again.. does Apple really care if some folks buy another PC laptop instead of a MacBook because they're a few months "late" on the SB integration? On the other hand... I assume that Apple has been working on this for a while now and has had enough time with and access to Intel's SB, so they can probably bring out a renewed line a lot sooner than April.
     

Share This Page