Buy MBP 15' now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BNHabs, Sep 10, 2011.

1. BNHabs macrumors regular

I'm in need of a new laptop and I want a MBP however I feel like a new one will be coming out soon..

Do I wait, or do you think Apple is going to wait for Ivy Bridge for the next refresh which will be 5-6 months.... I would feel bad if I bought one now and in a month or two the new ones came out.

What do I do?

Thanks

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Honestly, the current one is extremely powerful. If you keep waiting, you'll always be doubting yourself to get the next best thing. Of course the next MBP will be better, but then will the next one, etc. Go for it. :)

3. BNHabs thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed, but aren't the new ones coming out in a month?

4. ZHP macrumors newbie

Yes, I think you should wait for the 15-foot MBP to come out ;)

:D

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The new ones aren't rumored to come out until 2012.

6. BNHabs thread starter macrumors regular

LOL - very funny

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You need it now, you buy it now.
    If you can wait for another 6 months or so wait.

But honestly they are not coming until 2012.
    Some say they come out in late 2011 but those people cant even count.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

If the current one fits your needs, then go ahead and buy it. I'll wait for the refresh before I make my decision - simply because I need portability and power, given that I'll be playing X-Plane nearly every day as part of my training.

9. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

Yup, I agree with this.

Unless you're doing really heavy cpu/gpu work, the current 15" will last you 2-3 years easy, and if you're not that heavy of a user (but why are getting a 15" then?) it could even last longer. I'm still on my late '08 Alu Unibody...the original ones, and it's perfectly fine for me.

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

What's the spec of your 08 Alu. Uni? Did you upgrade any components when you ordered it?

11. JMB1911 macrumors regular

i just picked up a new top of the line 15inch pro with the ssd.....it is an amazing machine. i would say go for it, the power is great.

worst case scenario you sell it when the new ones come out, if you wanted to. they seem to hold their value pretty good.

i would get the hi-res screen as well...i didn't and if it weren't for the fact that it is plugged into my ACD most of the time i would trade it out.

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Would you recommend the anti-glare screen or glossy screen?

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

they just came out in february???

they wont come out with one till early next year when ivy processors are released.

if u want one buy it now. if u want to wait then wait.

its not like ur gonna be doing anything different on the current one compared to a "future" new one. the waiting game is stupid

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That'll be well after April, according to current schedule - and the longest period for a MBP refresh. If they are going for a redesign, it'll probably be before Ivy Bridge. Remember that MacBook Air (Late 2010) features a Core2Duo instead of a Sandy Bridge.

15. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i got anti glare

only for one reason

every macbook pro ive seen out there was glossy so i thought id have something look a bit different lol

i know seems stupid but the look grows on me :)

anyways been enjoying my anti glare macbook pro for like a month now

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I just don't like the silver bezel - though on my MBA, it's grown on me.

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think there is about a 25% chance well see a 15'' Air this fall. Updates to the Pro line are not likely till mid next year.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Buy now, the current model is well sorted out and it's a good one.

I've used Apple laptops for years, frequently upgrading. I've learned the hard way that buying the first version after a major refresh is asking for trouble.

Look at the short product cycle of the 2010 MBA, only to be eclipsed significantly by the 2011.

19. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If you want one, then get it.
    If you don't want one, then don't get it.
    We can't tell you what your desires are; only you can do that.
    Nor can we pinpoint the release date of a future product that we have no information about.
    Just do whatever you want to do. :) The current 15" are so powerful that they are classifiable as desktop replacements in many cases.

20. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

ok everyone oon this thread... DO YOUR REASEARCH. Technology stuff changes all the time. Ivy bridge isn't due out until june july 2012 now. so there is likely a refresh/redesign this year.

----------

guys. do your research. technology stuff changes all the time, we should know this. IVY BRIDGE has been moved back to june july 2012. so there is a likely redesign refresh coming

21. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I posted that a few posts ago.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I always provide the same level of advice. If you need a new laptop now, then buy one now. If you don't it, and you can defer your purchase then your better suited to wait.

23. Liquinn, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

Liquinn Suspended

Source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook

Why does that say Ivy Bridge is going to come to Ultrabooks next year? But it doesn't say which part of 2012. But we're only 16 weeks or so left of 2011 so it's not that long to wait now.

"According to a leaked Intel roadmap, Ivy Bridge processors will be released in March-April 2012"

24. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I'd wait until the next refresh. If the next refresh still uses Sandy Bridge processors, hopefully the bugs from the early 2011 models will be ironed out and the new systems will be more stable with less problems. If the next refresh isn't until the release of the Ivy Bridge processors, then wait and enjoy the power.

25. clayc macrumors newbie

How about the newly release Intel Core i7 2760QM/2860QM? Will Apple upgrade the processor of the current MBP in a very near future?