Buy MBP now or wait for update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kickphlipp, Aug 15, 2008.

1. kickphlipp macrumors newbie

I need help, I am going to school at the end of the month and I can't decide on wether to buy my MBP now or wait till it updates sometime in Sept. I don't want to lose the back to school sale but if it has major updates I am willing to wait till the back to school sale is over and the new MBP comes out. What should I do. Buy it now or wait till the end of Sept for the update?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wait for the update, all indications point to it being a pretty significant one, and includes hardware updates. I think whenever a company changes the whole appereance of a product with a new case and everything you should wait if you can.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

School starts for me (freshman in college) in exactly one week.

I am waiting. They have iMacs in the library I can use if I need them. But for now I'm sticking with good ol' paper products for work and my iPhone for keeping in contact and staying connected.

4. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

I agree the update is not only going to be aesthetic but there will also be significant upgrades to hardware. Why buy now and in a month your MBP will look outdated.

5. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i know the actual numbers of bad video cards are low right now, but i'd have a hard time laying down money for a macbook pro right now until the whole mess gets settled. this is my PERSONAL OPINION and i am not suggesting you follow it or not, you have to make that decision yourself.

i'm hoping for a new gpu with the refresh, but who knows what will actually happen. and this close, i'd just wait for september and see what happens.

6. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Im in the same position... but I Love the current MBP so at the end of the month (if still available) im getting it!!!

7. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

If you can wait, then that's the best option. But if you need it now, then you have no choice I guess.

8. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Wait and just use a friends or the schools computers.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Bingo. Best way to go at this point.

10. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

I leave for college August 24th but classes actually start September 2nd. I'm also waiting for the new MBP and I'm finding it extremely hard (the waiting). It's sort of disappointing that there has been no new rumors about it for weeks!

11. metalstrat22 macrumors newbie

Where are you going to school? I have the same dates!

And with the MBP, i'm giving up on waiting. It's so much more convenient to have a computer at school. And I'm happy with the design as is, I hate the Air style.

12. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Eastman School of Music (part of the University of Rochester) is where I'm headed. You? GL with your MBP btw :)

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll find answers a lot quicker if you search the forums before starting repetitive threads. There are dozens of threads on this issue and many others, just waiting for you to read them.

14. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

If you really need it, get it now with Applecare. If worse comes to worse and something DOES go wrong, Apple may just replace it with one of their new models that may or may noot come out soon.
    I personally loathe the Air's trackpad, and since I know I'll be using it alot I'd rather not wait... Unless the hardware gets a serious boost, something I doubt it'll get...

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, the "buy now or wait" threads seem to be multiplying exponentially as the start of the school years approaches and the update season draws closer. It is your choice, but either way, you will be getting a superb machine. I'm a recent switcher and I'm hugely enjoying the MBP. It's aesthetically attractive, powerful, has great performance, and a superb screen. So, unless you one of the people who simply must have the latest model and spec, I'd say get the current model. If not now, wait until the updates are out, and get the current model as by then quite generous discounts will probably be given on it.

Having said that, it seems that received opinion is of the view that major changes in design and spec might be on the cards; two weeks ago, even last week, received opinion was that any changes would be tweaking, speed bumps, cosmetic, stuff like that. Do bear in mind that the name of the forum is Mac Rumors, not Mac Fact. Yes, some of the rumours are so well sourced they come uncomfortably (or comfortably) close to fact. Your choice. However, the MBP is a great machine and whichever one you buy, you will love. Cheers and good luck.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD; iPod classic 30 GB

16. metalstrat22 macrumors newbie

Tisch at NYU.

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Actually the upcoming updates will likely be nothing special, and certainly won't speed much up.

However, there's a hopeful chance (lol), that there will be a non-defective ATI card in the mix, as opposed to the death-prone 8600 GT.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Buy now.

Best music school! Congrats.