Buy MBP Now or Wait until September event?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spike8585, Aug 21, 2009.

  1. spike8585 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    #1
    I have finally pulled enough cash together to replace my 2 day old 13" MBP that my wife drove away with on the top of her car. Yea, pregnancy makes your brain turn into mush....so I have been told. Lost for ever on the highway.

    So, this time around I am going for the 17" MBP, and believe me, my wife is NOT touching it.

    Is there any reason to wait for the September event before buying? I realize that there is not going to be a processor refresh, as there was one in June, but is there any possibility that anything will change on the MBP line? Other than the obvious Snow Leopard release (which may come sooner than sept)?

    Blu-Ray, Intel SSD's, or anything exciting?

    Also, the Education discount, that expires the day before the event. Is that just the Ipod deal? Is the discount permanent? I dont need a Ipod touch, as I have an iPhone, but i could sell it to put towards the price of the MBP.
     
  2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

    MadGoat

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    Weren't the MBP's just refreshed? I don't they refresh twice a year.

    And to add, why do people always wait? If you wait for the next big thing, you're never going to buy it.
     
  3. spike8585 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    #3
    I know. But do they ever change anything minor regardless of a refresh only months ago?
     
  4. spike8585 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    #4
    Why wait? Well, Im talking 2 weeks, not months. 2 weeks is manageable.
     
  5. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    #5
    Are you buying an iPod Touch or a MacBook Pro?
     
  6. MadGoat macrumors 65816

    MadGoat

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Hell, I would just say buy now, you're going to get a damned fine machine either way.

    thye may or may not put blue ray in eventually, but isn't Apple moving away from physical media? or trying to. so if they do add it, it'll probably be very underwhelming.
     
  7. spike8585 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    #7
    Buying a MacBook Pro 17", but with the education deal, you get a free ipod touch, which i have no use for.
     
  8. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    #8
    I know.. but why do you think MacBook Pros would be updated at a music event?
     
  9. superlatic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #9
    I've also got the money to buy a new laptop (going to go with either dell studio 15 or macbook pro 13.3 2.53ghz stock config)

    If I go for the MBP going to hold out until Snow Leopard is released so I dont have to mess about doing a clean install.

    Not holding out any hope of a hardware update (not that I need it as the current specs do what I need) but some price cuts would be nice
     
  10. spike8585 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    #10
    Ah, I wasnt aware it was a Music Event. Thats good news. Thank you for your help!
     
  11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

    Outrigger

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2008
    #11
    Yes, the Sept event is geared towards the ipod/touch, nothing to do with iphones or macs.
     
  12. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #12
    Buy now, for it won't be updated anytime soon.
     
  13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #13
    I doubt Apple would introduce an upgrade to the MBP line in September. If they were to modify anything, my guess would be the MBP 17", and that wouldn't happen until October.
     
  14. L0s7man macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    #14
    I wouldn't call it a refresh. They've changed few bits, but the end goal was to improve profit margins. Take CPUs for instance. 2.66 used to come with 6MB L2, now it doesn't.

    Also, NVidia cards have gotten 2 refreshes since 9600 was included in MBP. I would think that at least GT130 is in order. I wish they've put something better in 17". It's a real shame that even though it's 17" they didn't bother to squeeze in a better GPU. i don't know... GT160, GT250, anything, would be nice.

    I hope there will be at least slight refresh this September/October...
     
  15. Tweeam macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    #15
    business-wise I think they'll update ...

    history-wise, it appears this forum and the members here think there will not be an update.

    However, to me, it wouldn't make sense that there will not be an update since Apple has to post revenues each quarter AND also because they are releasing their new OS.

    1) Why would you release a new OS X and not come out with any new hardware updates that take even more advantage of the new OS?

    2) Does Apple just not care about this quarter and the lead up to the holiday season?

    My first point you can debate over but keep in mind that most people on this forum probably don't own a publicly traded company ... so just because it is not in line with their expectations doesn't mean there won't be an update. My second point is the one that I'm betting on though. No new products simply means no new sales. Something that Apple can't really live with - then again, they could be putting all their money on the new iPod, but really who DOESN'T have an iPod or mp3 player these days? I don't think the camera add-on, if there is one, is going to be that significant that people pawn their iPods to get a new one that takes the same crappy pictures their phone takes.

    So my guess, based on businesses needing to sell more, is that there will be some kind of update this year, BEFORE the holiday season.
     
  16. alekssss macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    #16
    this thread is making me reconsider buying a new macbook next week :/
     
  17. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2005
    #17
    Please stop spreading this garbage, the 2.66ghz model replaced the 2.4ghz model that had 3MB L2 cache. The 2.8ghz w/6MB model replaced the 2.66ghz model with 6MB.
    You get more for your money then you did before, it' was a refresh.

    And OP, just as everyone said buy now and enjoy your new MBP, (sorry to hear about your old one though).
     
  18. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    #18
    Apple is good about replacing if a notebook bought just before a release. You get 14 days but in reality it is roughly a month according to an Apple rep I talked to. That said I would definitely buy the MBP while the ipod promotion is still going. Not sure when it ends but if it is before the Sept event I would buy now. If not a little wait won't matter.
     
  19. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Tampa
    #19
    go ahead and buy, if something new comes out they'll change it to the newer model. mine was 20 days old when the unibody w/ fw came out & apple still switched mine with no 10% restocking fee
     
  20. Tweeam macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    #20
    IF you do buy one, just wait until the last day and that way you are in the best position to return it should they come out with a new model shortly after ...

    Speaking only for myself, I know that I will be pissed if I buy a laptop and a new one comes out the following month. That is just how I work and that's why I am willing to wait until October, and especially September.

    I look at it as follows:

    1) I buy a laptop on September 8th and I get a free ipod touch that I sell on ebay to cover the cost of my 3 year warranty. So essentially I pay whatever the price is (minus $100 for educational discount) for my new uMBP. If a new one comes out the following month I'll be upset but it's something that I'll have to deal with. If the new changes are dramatic, I might be tempted to sell my laptop and take a $300 loss to buy a new one - again, just me and something I've been known to do in the past (though mainly with cameras).

    2a) Wait until October to buy a new laptop. Either there is a new updated model that I like and I buy it for the same amount I would have in Option 1 but now I pay the 3 year warranty out of pocket OR there isn't a new product and I pay for the same thing I would have got in Option 1 plus I'm still out of pocket for the 3 year warranty.

    2b) Wait until October to buy a new laptop. Apple does a modest product update that I'm not that thrilled over. I quickly go to the clearance section on Apple's website and buy the same laptop I was going to buy in Option 1 that is now $100 cheaper. I pay the difference of the 3 year warranty and the new $100 discount (maybe $60) and I sleep peacefully knowing that this is the best deal that I could get.

    Additional observation: You probably have access to a computer right now and can probably wait an additional month for a purchase that is going to be yours for the next 2 or more years.

    If you can't wait then BY ALL MEANS buy now and get the best deal. If you can wait then just wait until October to see what happens and then you won't have to worry about anything.

    By asking people in this forum if there will be a new update soon you obviously are one of those people who don't like the idea of buying something only to see the newest version come out right afterwards.

    Some people are sane and are perfectly content knowing that technology always continues to improve and what you buy today will be replaced someday in the future, regardless of if that is the next day, a month from now, or three months, etc.

    Some people (like myself) are not AS sane as those other people I described. I can prove this because I can't really think of anything the next update might bring that I need to have. I don't think it'll include USB 3.0 (though it could) and I don't think it'll include any processor bump that would make me regret my purchasing decision.

    However, there COULD be another price drop, there COULD be a 4 GB standard option, there COULD be a matte option for 13" uMBP, there COULD be a newer revision to the MBA (along with another price drop), there COULD be the inclusion of Intel's new SSDs, etc.

    I just want to know what the newest one is before I make my purchasing decision within the next 2 months. I know that I can't wait until 2010 but I can wait until October.

    Just as I mentioned the sane people earlier and those people being able to cope with the idea of something new coming out right after they purchase something I too have a similar understanding. My understanding is that I am just the opposite and therefore I should do the opposite of what they tell me and wait to find out.

    The only question for you now is are you sane or not? Once you figure that out then just accept the path you must take :)
     
  21. spike8585 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    #21
    Wow, that is an extensive reply. :)

    I was reading in the forums, and it looks like people don't expect a quad core until next year. I cant see a clockspeed boost affecting the performance of what I use my computer for too much. I think that only a quad-core would make me sorry.

    Blu-Ray seems to be out for now, which I don't care too much about, but it would be a shame if it was released soon after I bought.

    A better graphics card...now that, i suppose would be something i would hate to miss out on.

    USB 3.0, that would be the biggest for me, but I dont really expect that they would include that this soon, do you? Anyone have any insight into that?

    As for the question of sanity...well, I suppose I am sane, as my wife told me to go out and break the bank and replace my MBP right away, out of her own guilt. I fell into a SHlT load of MIT high end cables for free, and am selling those to finance my laptop replacement. If I were insane, i would have replaced my MBP 2 months ago. I am trying to be patient...but I dont know if I can wait until October.

    The Ipod deal, I am having second thoughts about, because if they are just trying to offload what they have of the G2, because a G3 is coming out, the second hand market is going to be flooded.

    So, I guess that the only things that I would wait until October for, Is:

    USB 3.0
    Updated Graphics
    Quad-Core (not likely to happen)

    Anybody have any insight into the likelihood of any of those update in October?

    Thanks guys!
    (BTW: This is me popping my thread creating cherry ;) )
     
  22. adamjackson macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    #22
    Buy one now. Sell the iPod Touch before the apple event (higher resale) and pocket that cash for the next gen iPod touch that comes out on the 7th.

    That's what I would do.


    Unibody releases were like Oct '08
    17" MBP in Janu '09
    Update June '09

    I think you have until January before we see another update (doh macworld is dead) IDK but I can guarantee you won't see a laptop update in september. It would at least be november or later.
     
  23. KKKL macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 16, 2005
    Location:
    Amoy
    #23
    I'm planning to buy a MacBook pro 13" and I choose to wait untill snow leopard debute.
     
  24. Belm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    #24
    Same here. I can deal with Windows for another month or so
     
  25. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #25

    Both of you do know that even if you buy a new Mac even a week or two after SL's debut you will only get a drop in disc right? It takes Apple at least a month or more before new Macs will have Snow Leopard preinstalled. The only advantage of waiting is that you won't have to pay for shipping for the SL disc.
     

Share This Page