Buy MBP since it has been refreshed or wait for Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reddevil0728, Mar 2, 2011.

  1. reddevil0728 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #1
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Worth it to wait for Lion?
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    You can buy Lion when it comes. I would buy the MBP now
     
  3. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location:
    AssWipe, New Mexico
    #3
    Well, how will the extra cost for a new OS affect you?

    You either need a machine now or you can wait. I certainly wouldn't let OS 10.6 vs. 10.7 be the determining factor this far out from Lion's release.
     
  4. Whitelightning macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    #4
    Since new OS updates do not coincide with new hardware launches... buy MBP now, get Lion later.
     
  5. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #5
    I guess Lion wouldn't be like Snow Leopard where it just cost USD29? How much does a brand new OS like lion usually cost? If it ain't much then price ain't a factor
    This is exactly my concern. What's the chances of the next performance bump happen by end sept? Or when is is rumoured to happen?
     
  6. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

    Funkymonk

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #6
    2018 macbooks will be nice as hell. Wait for those.
     
  7. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #7
    Either late this year (Q4) or most likely early next year.
     
  8. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #8
    lol pls. dun be sarcastic
    i see
     
  9. Whitelightning macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    #9
    The fact that lion will be coming out before any performance increase comes up... the current MBP should easily be able to handle Lion. It should definitely be able to last.
     
  10. burningbright macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    #10
    I wouldn't rely on Lion (or any new OS) until it's been through its first few updates. There'll be tons of imperfections in the new OS, and any of your applications might have major compatibility problems that might take them a long while to resolve, if they can at all. I used a programme (Timeline 3D) that a Snow Leopard update completely broke for my generation Macbook. All the programmers could say was 'the fault is with the OS. We can only wait until Apple updates Snow Leopard.' The next update fixed the problem, but introduced a new, serious, problem.

    I say don't wait for Lion unless you're happy to wait until well after its release. If you want to buy this year, buy now and enjoy speed and stability.
     
  11. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #11
    How much you think Lion will cost?
    that's really my concern actually.. lol
     
  12. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    Location:
    US East Coast
    #12
    I'm with burningbright. For me, personally, I would actually highly prefer to get a new laptop with Snow Leopard, and then sit back and see how Lion goes. I'm a reasonably modern gal, but I don't really enjoy the "early adopter" thing.

    I would figure that with Snow Leopard, I have a mature OS version with most of the kinks worked out, and I can see how Lion looks. If and when I decide I want it, I can buy it. Even if it's $100 (and I have no idea how much it will be), to me it's well worth it to have my options.

    Now, if it were $500, or something you could not upgrade (i.e. you were stuck with only the version that came on your computer), I would view it differently.
     
  13. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #13
    Give it a break - if you can afford a new MBP you can afford the piddly $129 or so the new OS will probably cost.
     
  14. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #14
    Well, I ain't the one paying, of course I got to justify the purchase now and not later...
     
  15. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location:
    AssWipe, New Mexico
    #15
    Why do you have to justify the purchase now? And how do you even do that considering Lion is months away and nobody knows what it will cost?

    I have a suspicion the $129 OSX days are over though. Maybe $79-$99. (but who knows?)

    Just buy the freaking mac... use the free OSX Snow Leopard that comes with it then upgrade later whenever you want.
     
  16. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #16
    Because if I get it now means I want to definitely get Lion later which I need to justify why I can't wait.
     
  17. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    #17
    About this time next year. Not this year. Just get the laptop now if you want it.
     
  18. macship macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    #18
    Yeah, but I'm holding out for the 2019's. The 2018's will be nothing compared to those.
     
  19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

    aznguyen316

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #19
    If it's that big of a deal. Just wait, it's pretty simple.
     
  20. mashsensor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    #20
    Wait for Lion! It will be awesome! Then wait for Sabertooth Cheetah, which will be even awesomerer, then eventually, wait for Hello Kitty, which will be the awesomest! :)
     
  21. Wesko macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #21
    Muhaha :D
     
  22. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #22
    -.-
    It's not exactly big deal, at the end of the day, I am just concern about a new revision shortly after the release of MAC OS Lion and I will be sad...:(
    -.-
    -.-
     
  23. wingsabr macrumors 6502

    wingsabr

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    #23
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Macrumors buy or wait posts...it never ends.
     
  24. DJChrisG macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    #24
    The way I see it... we just got sandy bridge so intel is about 1 year away from ivy bridge and apple with a possible redesign. so if lion comes out this summer the hardware will be the same. so why wait... as other posters said the new OS will probably have bugs for the first 6 months anyway. unless you really feel a total redesign in fall 11 or Q1 12. it makes sense to buy this refresh as it was a good one
     
  25. HacKage macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    #25
    Buy now and think about Lion later on. Maybe I'm the only one, but the changes that have been shown in lion don't appeal to me one bit. I want my computer to have OS X, not iOS so I will more than likely be sticking with the tried and tested 10.6
     

Share This Page