Buy my first Mac soon :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Branskins, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

I am just so excited right now, I had to say something!

A few years ago, I remember my father saying, "There will never be a Mac in this household!". Wow, have things changed!

First, the iPod came and really changed music for us. Then I got the iPhone that really brought me closer to wanting a Mac. And then came the new MacBook Pros. He is now singing a completely different tune!

I look forward to picking up the new 13" MBP from the Apple Store very soon! I have been watching all of the videos at apple.com and have visited the Apple Store several times to make sure I am set on this purchase!!

I cannot wait! This is so big for me and my family. The first Mac in my family! Do you think I will be able to change everyone else? :)

EDIT: I meant buying* my first Mac soon! I was just too excited to type correctly :p

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I have had a mac for about 2 years now and in my house my family has total of 7 computers only 1 is a mac and thats mine I have not been able to convert them over to mac just because of the fact that they don't like paying so much for so little hardware. They are all used to paying $300 for a desktop and $500 laptop every couple years and its hard to change there mind set that if you want a 15" laptop you need to shell out a lot more. I tried to explain to them how much more powerful it is also but they say they can't justify that price.

3. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

That is the problem with my family too! But once there is something they really really want, they usually find a way to get it!

And maybe they will figure out that they won't have to buy so many new laptops when the MacBooks last quite a long time :)

4. miiles macrumors regular

You're from the future? Nobody really knows if they will be reliable over time. Don't bother trying to convince other people with your words, just let the Mac speak for itself.

5. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

You are right! I should just leave it on the table, dim the lights, and watch as people come up to it to try it!

I am sure I will get some comments from certain family members about paying a premium for the brand and blah blah. I will just tell them to try it!

6. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

I my view, I think their is no point in 'trying' to convert someone. Usually, the product itself is more than enough to convert people.

Some people have this fear of what the Mac cannot do, and other preconceived ideas learned over the years from their peers.

If, and a big IF, the hardware is dearer, then you are more likely to get a better user experience due to the integration of the hardware and more importantly Mac OS X.

However, some people will always consider the 'price' as the primary factor, rather than the build quality, quality of customer service, the apps, the OS etc.

Those that do decide to switch, like me, several years ago - wished I had switched so many years earlier.

I have so many Apple products because of the original iPod, it's unbelievable!

Once you get that 'taste' and 'that feel' - you start to realise you've been well and truly converted by the product, the Company, the experience.

I don't care if people are likely to call me a fanboy, or whatever - labels don't matter - but my own feelings and experience of the products do.

Enjoy!

7. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

And the thing is, I rarely see people saying the opposite. Once they try a Mac, rarely do I ever hear someone saying they dislike it. While I will use a PC as my desktop computer, I have never heard of someone switching from a Mac to a PC, and that really says a lot!

I really want my Mac soon :/

8. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I don't really care if other people buy Macs or not. It's OK if they do of course, but don't feel that you have to change the computer world.

9. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I guess what I said was a little extreme, but what I really meant was whether I could change my close family members, not everyone in the world! :). PCs have been integrated in my family so much, that none of them have really thought about a Mac. I am hoping that I will be able to break their perception once they actually get to try one!

10. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Just type unswitch into google.

And not to burst your bubble, because OS X is superior software wise, but dollar for dollar, you can get much higher quality PC components then you could find in any mac except for maybe the Mac Pro, which uses server parts.

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Absolutely not. When Windows 7 is officially available and some of your family members will buy a new notebook for half the price of your Mac but with at least the same usability, maybe you will be the one who will switch back to the PC world.

Macs are nice designer machines, created for people who don't mind spending more money just because the thing looks better. Most people either cannot afford to pay a premium for design, others simply need Windows as their main platform and then there's the power users group who simply want the most bang for their buck -- and that is something that you cannot get from Apple.

Also, "converting" people also puts a lot of responsibility and frustration on your shoulders. What do you tell the folks when they find out that their software does not run on the Mac or that most Apple software comes with annual pay-for updates (e.g. OS X, iLife, iWork)? Or that Apple, unlike most PC OEMs, does not offer pick-up or on-site warranty? Or that Apple is the fastest company in the industry to break (hardware) compatibility?

When you shut out all the hype and marketing machinery behind Apple from your mind and look at it objectively, there are many rational reasons against going down the Apple road. Of course, at the same time, for many people Apple can be the better choice - depending on their individual needs and the size of their wallet. (And in my almost 30 years of IT experience, the Apple world --IS-- more expensive than the PC world, no matter what everybody wants to believe.)

12. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I already purchased the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for my PC, so I will really not be missing it as I will have it! Almost all of the desktops in my house will have Win7.

Now, maybe people will not want to buy Macs as a desktop, but they sure might be more tempted to buy a laptop one!

And btw, I am not buying the MBP because of the name (even though it does like good), but I am highly interested in a change to a nice new OS that seems very functional. It will just be nice to a completely new experience that is enjoyable outside of using Windows. I hope it makes sense :). The looks come as a bonus!

13. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling that your family will slowly switch, I decided to get a Mac after using my brother's MBP for an hour. a year later I have an amazing 24" iMac sitting on my desk and I love it. Now every time my dad walks into my room he gets a little envious. He just recently got an iPhone and fell in love with that and now every time we go into an Apple store he always starts playing with the Macs. I keep telling him he should but his response is "I'd have to buy new software"

14. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

*cough*mininova*cough -- oh terrible cold these days! :p

Seriously, macs have tons of software on them that Windows doesn't. What does he need?

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I've got three Macs out of six computers in the house. My dad, who uses Windows and has been for ages, doesn't care for Macs. My mom and brother are ambivalent.

Next time we need a computer, I'm going to try to get us a Mac. Our iTunes music is on a PM G4 server and iTunes for OS X is faster and just better. Plus there are is AppleScript and Automator.

16. farawayboy macrumors newbie

I have been using MAC for almost four years. Everything went well with MAC.
    The main issue with lot of people for switching to MAC is the price.

My opinion is when you can afford it, buy MAC, it will bring a lot of more fun to your family.
    Like easy to use photo/movie/music/webpage/postcards editing and creation.

17. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

If all goes well, I should be able to get it tomorrow :). I cannot wait!!

18. canes960 macrumors 6502

tell us how it goes.

19. jplg842 macrumors regular

i find it prestigious that i, among few use Mac ;)

20. opera57 macrumors 6502

When I got my first mac 2 years ago, I thought I would mainly just be using it with Windows on boot camp. Over the 2 years I found myself using Mac OS more and more, and then started to use the Macbook Pro as my main machine purely for OS X even though my PC was a faster machine. Since then I have got an iMac which I now use as my main machine, and a MacBook air for portability. Once you go mac you don't go back! haha [​IMG]

21. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I just want to say that I am STILL waiting for approval from Juniper. This has become ridiculous =/. I just want my Mac!

22. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Uh, no offense implied, but why are you financing this on a credit card? If this economic downturn teaches any lesson, it it that you shouldn't finance non-necessities, and you should never finance anything at credit card rates. When you have the $ saved, buy your Mac.

23. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not financing at credit card rates it is 0% for 12 months. My parents are paying for part of it and would rather not drop a lot of money at once when it can be paid off over the course of a few months at 0% interest.

24. hudsonCrossing macrumors member

i switched earlier this year and the difference i should say is night and day. made me do stuff with all the softwares like idvd and my favorite the photo books with incredible ease.

was contemplating on getting windows softwares then but iWork works way better for me.

and the best part....no more crashing and hanging...say goodbye to virus jitters..those are so windows :)