Buy new macbook pro or wait for October event?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malsaadi, Oct 11, 2018.

  1. malsaadi macrumors newbie

    malsaadi

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2018
    #1
    I am planning to buy a new MacBook pro, but the October event is around the corner, but at the same time there have not been any rumors about a new or updated mbp. what do you guys think?
     
  2. LogicalApex macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2015
    #2
    Since the new MBP is only like 2 months old. I doubt they will be updating it in October.
     
  3. SDColorado macrumors 68020

    SDColorado

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2011
    Location:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    #3
    I think they might update the iPads, iMac, MacBook and maybe the MacBook Air in October.

    But if you are looking for a MBP, probably about a zero chance it is going to be updated further in October
     
  4. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2014
    Location:
    nyc upper east
    #4
    like others said if mbp no chance of update if mac everything else, pretty high chance they updating,
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    Let me ask you this? What could apple upgrade in the 2018-10 MBP that isn't in the 2018-07 MBP? Its on the latest chipset, there's no new dGPU that would make sense to update and why risk angering everyone who bought a 2018 MBP in the summer. Makes less sense when they should be focusing on the Macs they did not refresh yet, MBA, MacBook, Mini, iMac etc.
     
  6. Howard2k macrumors 65816

    Howard2k

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    #6
    The nTB MBPro could see an update/replacement. I think that's possible.
     
  7. jonnysods macrumors 603

    jonnysods

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Location:
    There & Back Again
    #7
    I'd say you're good to go. Can't see these getting any bumps or love until next summer...
     
  8. Fishrrman macrumors G5

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #8
    There aren't going to be any more MacBook Pro releases this year...
     
  9. IdentityCrisis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2018
    #9
    I'd at least wait for the upgrade in October to see what they have. It usually isn't much, but at least wait to make a decision.
     
  10. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

    Ma2k5

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #10
    The only reason to wait is if you are unsure if you want a MacBook Pro or a potentially new MacBook Air/nTB/MacBook instead.

    If you are set on a Pro model, buy, there is nothing new coming for it.
     
  11. Howard2k macrumors 65816

    Howard2k

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    #11

    The nTB is a Pro model. I think you mean that there is nothing new coming for the TB Pro models.
     
  12. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

    Ma2k5

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #12
    Well I consider the nTB not a real Pro, as in a nontraditional fashion it employs a 15w CPU which are typically used for MacBook Airs. In the October keynote itself, they actually tried to sell the nTB to Air users looking for an upgrade if memory serves me right.
     
  13. Howard2k macrumors 65816

    Howard2k

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    #13

    Hey you can consider it a helicopter if you like. Reality dictates otherwise of course. :D
     
  14. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

    Ma2k5

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #14
    Well we can be pendadic about the matter if you want.
     
  15. tamara6 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #15
    or you could order a new touch bar macbook pro now and hope that the announcements of the new machines happen within your 14 day return timeframe - then you have the machine now, but can return it if apple announces something that you'd really rather have. Of course, we don't know when this "October Event" will happen - it is beginning to look like it will slip to Oct. 30, or maybe even into November.

    At any rate, if you are looking for a touch bar macbook pro, it is unlikely that they'd be updated, whenever the event is. The non-touchbar pro, the macbook and the macbook air are all likely to see some sort of "update" - although that could be to simply remove them from the line up altogether (could be, for instance the nTB pro goes away, the macbook air is reformed into something that looks a lot like a nTB pro, and the macbook gets a processor update)

    If you have time to wait, then wait - probably 2.5-3 weeks from now. If you want a TB pro, go ahead and get it now.
     
  16. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

    Spudlicious

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2015
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, England
    #16
    Pedantic, an obsessive concern with minor details such as spelling mistakes in forum posts.
     
  17. RandomDSdevel, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM

    RandomDSdevel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Kokomo, IN
    #17
    The hopelessly optimistic part of me, infinitesimally small as it has gone and dwindled ever since 2012, is still pining for the triumphant return of the 17-inch MacBook Pro in an un-compromised manner. That's become so much of a pipe dream by now, though, that I'm increasingly resigning myself to getting some other, non-Mac laptop as a way to migrate away from the ailing hand-me-down of a mid-2007 24" iMac that I'm currently still stuck with.
     
  18. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

    Falhófnir

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    #18
    OP, I guess it depends on what you want out of a MacBook, if an updated Air, or 13" version of the 12" MacBook would suit your needs then yeah, probably best to wait and save some cash over getting the 13" pro Touch Bar (or even the outdated ntb). If you want the iris graphics, 4x thunderbolt ports, 28W chip and... well, that's probably the sum of the differences with that machine tbh... then I don't think we'll see an update before next June.

    Unfortunately Apple only really seem to care about people that want ultraportable 13" MacBooks - the 15 inch is even starting to feel a bit of an afterthought being pushed further towards being an expensive niche product for power users with the discontinuation of the iGPU only model at a more reasonable price for general users. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see it killed off after it 'declines in sales' (and starting at £2,700 for what you'd probably call a 'reasonable' configuration I don't think it's hard to see it doing so).
     
  19. Fishrrman macrumors G5

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #19
    Random wrote:
    "The hopelessly optimistic part of me, infinitesimally small as it has gone and dwindled ever since 2012, is still pining for the triumphant return of the 17-inch MacBook Pro in an un-compromised manner."

    Fearless, fearless prediction:
    You will still be repeating this on your deathbed.
     
  20. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

    Spudlicious

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2015
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, England
    #20
    And after your death Apple will announce a 17" MacBook Pro fully loaded with a ports and boasting a scissor-lift keyboard, user-upgradeable drive and memory, standard five-year warranty, and priced to sell at $1200.
     
  21. RandomDSdevel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Location:
    Kokomo, IN
    #21
    Ha, ha, very funny, guys. I'll live with a 15" and an external monitor; I just…wish I didn't have to, is all…
     
  22. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #22
    the return period is 2 weeks
    if there is something you like better announced oct - then return it
     
  23. MacNut macrumors Core

    MacNut

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2002
    Location:
    CT
    #23
    I'm wondering if after the keynote, as Tim is walking off stage turns his mic off and says, "Oh we are doing a minor spec bump to the Pro's to fix the pesky T2 issue."
     
  24. SDColorado macrumors 68020

    SDColorado

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2011
    Location:
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    #24
    Right. That would require them to fix something that they have yet to admit is "broken." :)
     
  25. MacNut macrumors Core

    MacNut

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2002
    Location:
    CT
    #25
    That's why he turned his mic off first. :D
     

Share This Page