Buy new MacBook vs replace logic board on old one ($350)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UniAce, Jun 3, 2010.

1. UniAce macrumors newbie

I have a first-generation (pre-November 2006) MacBook (2 GHz Intel Core Duo). It is now out of extended warranty and needs a logic board replacement, which will cost about $350. Would that be worth it or would I be better off buying a new (mid 2010) MacBook (which would be about $900 with student discount)? Or maybe buy one of the second-most recent models (Late 2009)? Argh.

2. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

At this point, I'd go with the new one or if you need to save some money, the late 2009 one.

You could probably sell the 2006 MB for a little bit of cash and put it towards that.

3. 7thMac macrumors 6502

$350 is a good price for the board replacement. Does that include labor?

If you are otherwise happy with the unit and it is in good physical shape, the replacement is worth considering. You can sell your laptop in a year or two and still recoup some of the repair cost.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The new MacBook comes with a brand new battery, and a much better one than the 2006 one. It comes with brand new magsafe connector, not worn out like yours. The LCD screen will be a bit brighter because it is newer. You have a year warranty where any repairs are at Apple's expense. The plastic is white, not white-ish like yours. New version of iLife and Snow Leopard, if you haven't upgraded yet. And the new MacBook is significantly better than yours in any way, and it will last for four years while yours won't.

I think buying a new one is a better investment than putting $350 into a 3 1/2 year old MacBook.

5. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Sell it. Might as well get a new one since urs is already 4 years old. You could also sell your current broken one and get some good cash towards the new one

6. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

You will still be able to get a few hundred on ebay for your broken macbook as is.

I would say that if you search long enough you may be able to find a deal on a used MBP. You have to watch though as some of the used laptops can get very close to the price of a new or refurbished unit!