Buy now or after macworld?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cjsmx65, Jan 4, 2009.

1. cjsmx65 macrumors newbie

A few days ago i asked if i should buy the whitebook or the aluminum macbook 2.0. i deciede to go aluminum 2.0 and now have another question:rolleyes: i have the opportunity to go to best buy tuesday after school and wont have another opportunity until saturday:mad:. i know macworld is on tuesday so will i know if the aluminum macbooks are going to be cheaper at around 4:00 or 5:00 eastern time? if there not reduced i will go that day and if they are reduced then when will the new prices go into effect?

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It'll be over by 11am in California, so yes, you'll know by 5pm EST

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

They won't be reduced unless it's Black Friday..

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Its more likely new Macs are introduced, but there won't be a price drop. Not likely.

What can happen is a new model being introduced at a cheaper price. (Example, if Apple introduces new LED Displays cheaper than the current one)

5. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Just keep what you have and don't sweat it, I don't think there going to be dropping any prices, remember the iphone? they lowered the price, and all hell broke lose, I think they learned from mistakes, if anything they will introduce a cheaper model unibody and replace the white Macbook.

6. Heimlich macrumors member

Haha. The iPhone is a whole 'nother story. And dropping the price was definitely not a mistake.

As for Macworld, id be willing to wait to see if anything changes. Not expecting any price drops but whatever they do does have subtle influences. Besides it's only a few days. You can have a better idea of Snow Leopard, other hardware, and any more surprises later.

7. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Your right about the iphone, I didn't mean they should not have lowered the price, they should have! is right, I got my money back:D.But I don't think they would lower the price of the Macbooks so soon or if all. there would be a pissing match for sure! and alot of pissed of people!:mad:

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

9. Heimlich macrumors member

Yeah haha. I think the price of the refurbished aluminum macbook is pretty low. At $1100. Id gladly buy that. Buying one soon!

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Either wait, or buy one and NOT open it until you knew after Macworld that they're not updated or reduced.

11. svndmvn Guest

If Best Buy is your only option, and something changed tomorrow, I think you'd have to wait till next week anyway.
    It is pretty obvious and inevitable the white Macbooks will disappear or transform into some 9/10" NetBook, and I hope Apple doesn't go cheap entering this market as well. The 2.0 could go down in price, to about $1000 and there could still be other 2 Macbooks(both with backlit keys maybe). Till yesterday I thought Macworld was too soon for all of this to happen, but maybe Apple isn't selling that many white Macbooks or Aluminum ones. Apple is probably releasing many things tomorrow already, it could be too soon for a speed bump, which would mean CPU bumps for the Pros as well. I hope something changes tomorrow, but I doubt it. We'll see on the store I guess.

12. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I'd personally wait... or do like the others said, buy it but don't open it until you have watched the keynote. There probably won't be any changes to the pricing or to the MBs but it could turn out that waiting a couple hours saved you a couple hundreds or something. Can't wait for tomorow :)

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Those UniBody MacBooks and MacBookPro's are less than 2 months old. I really doubt Apple will modify them again!! Besides, this time around it should be covering the MacPro and other desktops.

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

My carrier gave me a free 16Gb iPhone as an upgrade, for being a loyal customer. And within two weeks i returned it cause it's input system was doing me head in, really *****, in my opinion.

15. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

The new MacBooks won't be updated but you might as well wait it out until tomorrow. In 24 hours you will know more. I'm waiting myself until after MacWorld, just in case, and for my new credit card to come. What credit crunch? They just offered me 0% for a year with better rewards - I'm psyched!

16. paetrick macrumors regular

I'll be waiting until tomorrow before I order the new macbook, there's a great chance that they discontinue the white macbook and lower the price of the both models with 99 $. At least it's my hopes :D, 1 day isn't that big of a deal to wait :)

17. cjsmx65 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thats what i figured...i guess i can tough it out one day:p another question, what is the best place to watch macworld, and where is it most likely to be posted the earliest. i dont remember where i watched it last year:confused:

18. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Text updates - http://engadget.com

Video keynote a couple of hours after it's over - http://apple.com

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

20. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

They aren't going to update the Macbook 2.0 or 2.4 at Macworld. So it doesn't matter when you buy it if you're going to buy it from Best Buy. Unless your store is different from all the ones I've visited, Best Buy will give you price protection and allow you to return the thing no questions asked for 30 days, even if you open and use it. That's one of the reasons I like buying stuff from there.

21. eXoBrute macrumors regular

how do u sign up for the text updates from engadget?

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It shouldn't be a sign-up thing. Just go to http://www.macrumorslive.com anyway...

23. cjsmx65 thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant use macrumors live because when it is being presented i will be in school (high school starts at 7:00 eastern time and ends at 2:15):(

24. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Does BestBuy tell you when you buy something that has been returned?? Do they give some kind of rebate??

Or can you choose to buy something that has been returned?

I don't know how american shops work, but here in switzerland you can't return anything, in the best and very rare case, they will give you a ticket that is worth the price of what you returned but you can only use it at that store.

25. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Don't know about other countries but Best Buy here in Canada gives you a full refund. You get all your money back. Also if the price drops you get what's called price protection where if you go back to the store you can choose to keep the product and get the price difference back as a refund (not a credit) so you can again do whatever you want with the money returned.