Buy Now or wait for Montevina? [Needs to last 3 Years]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skalor, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Skalor macrumors newbie

- Im going to University in Sept 08 studying Graphic Design.
    - I need a new Mac to last me the THREE YEARS at Uni.
    - My PC now is becoming closer to unbareable but I can cope if needed.
    - I am buying the complete top end stuff and adding 4GB Ram.
    - Needs to be Notebook, and I don't have money to waste :(

Buy Now? or wait for Montevina Update in June/July/Whenever?

An explanation and any additional advice would be helpful, because this mental debate is starting to stress me now!

Thanks

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

well if you want to live in windows hell for another 6 months go ahead, but there is no knowing if there will be any update this year even..

buy now if you can afford, or if you want to wait

you can pick up like a 12" PB g4 to hold you over until then

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

a mac pro will last the longest, however i would wait until like right before college starts

4. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

Needs to be notebook really because im going to be taking to uni, my mums and my dads house (parents are split up) and most likely many other locations.

Surely if MBP doesnt update until next year, it would be as effective to buy the MBP now as it would in September?

5. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Buy now. If you wait for Montevina, it'll just be eclipsed by Nehalem in early 2009. The current model has SSE4 and a 45nm process, as well as multitouch, and will last a good while yet.

6. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

If it's for uni, and you don't need it now, best to wait as long as you can. If you want to order a BTO macbook pro, remember to give yourself time for shipping. If you plan to buy in a store, then purchase it on September 7th. You will also have a shiney new computer to play with on your first day of school, and the excitment will last longer in the new setting. Odds are there will be a new MBP before September. But, do what you want.

7. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

Im definatly not buying it the day before I goto University, will be my first time using mac and I want to get to grips using it before I go (not that its that hard, ive used one a little). I just want to get software and everything sorted before.

The problem is I cant do what I want because I dont know what I want lol. Well if I could id have it now I WOULD, but I dont want to have regrets moaning at my MBP in my last most important year.

Whats a BTO MBP?

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

BTO --> Build To Order.

A nice way to customize the Mac the way you want it.

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I bought my MBP last week and I plan on keeping it for 5 years.

/also a uni student

10. Harryt223 macrumors member

I say wait till your closer to your uni.. then a few weeks order what ever is out.. unless you can't wait right now..

11. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Listen, if you buy a refurbished 2007 MBP "merom processor" model, it should still last you 5+ years if you take care of it. So, have no worries about buying one now if it's for longevity purposes only. I think the montevina platform is worth waiting until August for, especially if it's a college computer (best to buy right before school). There are no guarantees, and I won't pretend to give you one, but Apple has released a new MBP within about a month or so of every intel mobile-processor update. It updated the core duo MacBook Pro with the new core 2 duo even though it had only made the first MacBook Pro EVER only THREE MONTHS PRIOR. Again, it's your choice if you mind waiting.

Patience is a virtue, always waiting for the next update is not.

12. xandrex macrumors newbie

For me, also a soon-to-be first-time Mac-user (MBP), I plan on waiting until this summer. For one, it's a grad present, but also, I would like to see if there is an update in speed, design, etc. If not, then I'll buy the current one - it's plenty fast and a very good product. You said your computer is becoming unbearable, so perhaps it is time to upgrade. I have an advantage as I currently have a relatively snappy Windows Vista (yes...Vista) machine and a moderately-functioning XP laptop to get me by.

When you need it...buy it. :D

13. Pees330 macrumors 6502

If you really want to get one now go for it. I just bought the new MBP and it is great. I plan on having it for a few years, heck even my iBook lasted for me up until recently. If you don't have a problem waiting, I might wait until the summer to see if anything new comes out. It doesn't really matter either way because whichever you buy will definitely last you through uni.

14. ibizarocks macrumors regular

Mate, don't bother with all the 'i need to get to grips with it before i go' stuff. Everyone knows that uni in first few weeks of your first year is piss easy!! I do Graphic Design at Uni and I've completed my first year and guess what.... I didn't need a mac! I've been waiting since last sept to get one and haven't because there hasn't been a worth while update. You do hardly any computer based work as they try to teach you that the best designs aren't done on computer but by good research and hand rendered drawings before you go to a mac. Don't get me wrong, I had 2 modules where they teach you about using Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver etc but I could get away with just using the uni macs and the one I have at work.

you have the time to wait so wait! ;)

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you wait until June (assuming you're in the United States) you get the iPod rebate along with your purchase (and even if you don't care for a new iPod, selling it will give you some decent cash).

Nonetheless, with the updates that were announced recently, a follow-up story indicated that Intel was pushing Apple to get rid of older chips faster (hence the reason why the macbooks also saw an update) and that Intel was going to push for this again around summer time when the next chips are ready to come out. Given that, I think the odds of a mbp update before you need it are pretty good.

Also, learning will take a little time, but not too long. At most you'll need a week or two to be "settled" into OS X. However, given your hatred of your current computer, I'd recommend buying one as soon as the iPod sale is on and the mbps have seen an update.

16. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

I have friends at my school that are Graphic Design Fine Art Majors (That's 80+ Major hours) that don't own a Mac. They simply use the school's Mac Pro lab. You'll be fine waiting. Even then you can save up money and get better than you could if you bought now.

17. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, just the answer I was looking for! What time is the iPod sale? And no im not American, im British.

My Cousin is in her first year of Graphic Design so ive been told how it goes, like how you say. I know I wont NEED it for my first year. But I need a new computer this year anyway and wasnt sure whether it was worth waiting. I just wanted to make sure I got someting that lasted me. With the 'I need to get to grips' i guess need was the wrong word. Basically what i mean was i want to enjoy my new MBP as soon as possible for aslong as possible lmao :p but yeah your right!

Thanks everyone you've been VERY helpful. I think it makes sense to wait to the summer update and like someone said, even if the update doesnt come out before sept, the MBP I do get will still be decent enough. When the new babies are out ill be back for 'cheapest time and place to buy' lol :p. Thanks again ;)

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Alas, your iPod sale doesn't begin until September or October IIRC (someone from the UK please fact check for me).

However, if your classes begin in late September, and the sale starts in mid September, there might be a good opportunity for you to buy then. If not, check your college's bookstore; many offer special deals all the time for incoming students.

19. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

20. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

LMAO!!! Now im really excited!!!!

Calboy, as cool as it is to get a free Ipod, I wont wait for that unless the new MBP come out close to that date. But thanks for the info!

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Indeed. Check your school's bookstore. Many will allow you to buy your stuff as long as you have an acceptance letter or ID card (which means you can potentially buy long before your term begins).

22. ibizarocks macrumors regular

montevina montevina montevina!!!! I rave on about it but alas if there is no redesign when that comes out then I still won't buy a new mac!

23. Bow Rekk macrumors member

You should be able to get the free ipod and HE discount in the apple shop too. Just show them your ucas letter with your offer (a conditional will do) on or log into ucas right in front of them. It will make the bottom mbp £1,104.50 and the mid range £1,359.48.

I don't think my uni has a bookstore that sells computers or anything like that... But we don't even have a student union building either so I suppose yours could well do. But check first.

24. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

I can also get into the HE store via online which has the 16% discount but you think the Ipod thing will come on that too?

25. shawmanus macrumors member

Montevina platform will not be huge upgrade from SR. But Calpello with Nehalem and QuickPath should be a monster. But maybe by that time we will be talking about Sandy bridge and how it will have 4x performance of nehalem. This never ends.