Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Hey

I know this has been asked SO SO many times, but I'm starting University in September 2008

Should I buy my MBP now or just wait for the update?

When is the update likely?

Thanks

bodgerx

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Hey

I know this has been asked SO SO many times, but I'm starting University in September 2008

Should I buy my MBP now or just wait for the update?

When is the update likely?

Thanks

According to the buyers guide:

Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Pros for waiting :

1. better specced machine, for the same money, or possibly a bit less.
2. hopefully won't have the infamous nVidia GPUs.

Cons for waiting :

1. slightly higher risk of issues with it being a first generation machine.
2. potentially time without a machine when you could really use a machine.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Pros for waiting :

Cons for waiting :

Perfectly said! :cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Pros for waiting :

Cons for waiting :

Agree completely; I'd also add that if you do not want the updated/upgraded models when they are issued, you can always buy the discontinued models at a discount. It is down to the old want/need argument; if you absolutely need it, buy now; if not, wait. However, like duklaprague, I'd be a bit wary of first generation machines. In fact, my advice would be to wait out that first generation until the almost inevitable updates - and ironing out of glitches - around six months later. Cheers and good luck.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
this is the perfect time to wait, it's only 2 weeks by the way. i would take my chances with rev A than a faulty nvidia gpu.

Yeah, definitely wait. Even if you don't want to take chances on a rev A, when they come out it will depress the value of the current MBPs. So you should be able to get a sweet deal on a used/refurbed previous generation one.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
In my opinion the new macbook pro's wont be coming around until janurary but it will be an update and I would recommend waiting for it. Surely you can survive a couple of months without a laptop. Im sure there will be loads of people that will let you borrow theirs!

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
In my opinion the new macbook pro's wont be coming around until janurary but it will be an update and I would recommend waiting for it. Surely you can survive a couple of months without a laptop. Im sure there will be loads of people that will let you borrow theirs!

I hope it's not coming in Janurary...I've already been waiting a year for a new computer...I don't think I can take 4 more months of XP and BSoDs

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I know this has been asked SO SO many times

So don't ask it again.

Don't buy. Wait. You can go a few weeks without a computer at college, contrary to popular (stupid) belief. Heck, I can't even print from mine and we don't use them at all (but I'm in Ireland with a group for my first semester, so it's almost a special case. I say almost because you don't need a computer for college at all).

In my opinion the new macbook pro's wont be coming around until janurary...!

It's a good thing that it's just your opinion. We'll see updates to the MacBook and MacBook Pro in September. They will NOT wait until January. The MacBook Air will be updated in January at MacWorld 2009.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Do Macs usually get released worldwide at the same time??

Or do the rest of us (people not in the US) have to wait a while, just like the iPhone?

:confused:

mscofield

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
It's a good thing that it's just your opinion. We'll see updates to the MacBook and MacBook Pro in September. They will NOT wait until January. The MacBook Air will be updated in January at MacWorld 2009.

Well said by the guy who will "soon" be owning a nehalem macbook and mac..

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
If everyone followed this advice, all new companies would go out of business and existing ones couldn't introduce new products :p

Most people don't know about first, second, third gen. or anything of the sort. History has proven that 1st gens usually have some issues to sort out. No big deal and it wouldn't stop me from buying 1st gen..

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
I would advise you to wait for the next big thing always. No use buying now when 6, 9, or 12 months down the line a better, bigger, faster thing will be out.

Killswitcher

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
mmm,

just a quick question. i keep reading about 1st gen problems. Historically are these major problems?

atm you see im holding out for the update in september (Hopefully). But i live in Norther Ireland and our closest apple store is in Manchester (England)

is it maybe better for me to get the problem-less old machine than the potentially problem filled new one. If most people have a small query they can just have a quick drive into town to their local mac store. i however have a 70 mile drive a 50 minute sail and then a 60 mile drive lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.