buy now or wait? - macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wasimyaqoob, Aug 27, 2008.

  1. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2005
    Location:
    London, England.
    #1
    Hey

    I know this has been asked SO SO many times, but I'm starting University in September 2008

    Should I buy my MBP now or just wait for the update?

    When is the update likely?

    Thanks
     
  2. Aranince macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #2
    There will probably be an event September 9th. I would try to wait until then.
     
  3. bodgerx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    #3
    According to the buyers guide:

    Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
     
  4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
  5. johngordon macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #5
    Pros for waiting :

    1. better specced machine, for the same money, or possibly a bit less.
    2. hopefully won't have the infamous nVidia GPUs.

    Cons for waiting :

    1. slightly higher risk of issues with it being a first generation machine.
    2. potentially time without a machine when you could really use a machine.
     
  6. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

    wgr73

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2005
    Location:
    New Mexico
    #6

    Perfectly said! :cool:
     
  7. Manzana macrumors 6502a

    Manzana

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2004
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #7
    this is the perfect time to wait, it's only 2 weeks by the way. i would take my chances with rev A than a faulty nvidia gpu.
     
  8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #8
    Agree completely; I'd also add that if you do not want the updated/upgraded models when they are issued, you can always buy the discontinued models at a discount. It is down to the old want/need argument; if you absolutely need it, buy now; if not, wait. However, like duklaprague, I'd be a bit wary of first generation machines. In fact, my advice would be to wait out that first generation until the almost inevitable updates - and ironing out of glitches - around six months later. Cheers and good luck.
     
  9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #9
    Yeah, definitely wait. Even if you don't want to take chances on a rev A, when they come out it will depress the value of the current MBPs. So you should be able to get a sweet deal on a used/refurbed previous generation one.
     
  10. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
  11. acearchie macrumors 68040

    acearchie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    #11
    In my opinion the new macbook pro's wont be coming around until janurary but it will be an update and I would recommend waiting for it. Surely you can survive a couple of months without a laptop. Im sure there will be loads of people that will let you borrow theirs!
     
  12. Aranince macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #12
    I hope it's not coming in Janurary...I've already been waiting a year for a new computer...I don't think I can take 4 more months of XP and BSoDs
     
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #13
    So don't ask it again.

    Don't buy. Wait. You can go a few weeks without a computer at college, contrary to popular (stupid) belief. Heck, I can't even print from mine and we don't use them at all (but I'm in Ireland with a group for my first semester, so it's almost a special case. I say almost because you don't need a computer for college at all).

    It's a good thing that it's just your opinion. We'll see updates to the MacBook and MacBook Pro in September. They will NOT wait until January. The MacBook Air will be updated in January at MacWorld 2009.
     
  14. electronique macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #14
    Do Macs usually get released worldwide at the same time??

    Or do the rest of us (people not in the US) have to wait a while, just like the iPhone?

    :confused:
     
  15. Schtumple macrumors 601

    Schtumple

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Location:
    benkadams.com
    #15
    I just bought a refurb macbook pro few days ago, I figured I won't be able to afford the newer models anyway so why wait...
     
  16. mscofield macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    #16
    Well said by the guy who will "soon" be owning a nehalem macbook and mac..
     
  17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #17
    The Mac Pro on launch day in January and the MacBook Pro on launch day in July. What about them?
     
  18. photo-video macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2004
  19. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #19
    If everyone followed this advice, all new companies would go out of business and existing ones couldn't introduce new products :p
     
  20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

    hogfaninga

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Location:
    Chestnut Tree Cafe
    #20
    Most people don't know about first, second, third gen. or anything of the sort. History has proven that 1st gens usually have some issues to sort out. No big deal and it wouldn't stop me from buying 1st gen..
     
  21. furious macrumors 65816

    furious

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    Location:
    Australia
    #21
    I would advise you to wait for the next big thing always. No use buying now when 6, 9, or 12 months down the line a better, bigger, faster thing will be out.
     
  22. Blackfoot macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #22
    In other words, never buy anything from :apple:
     
  23. Killswitcher macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #23
    mmm,

    just a quick question. i keep reading about 1st gen problems. Historically are these major problems?

    atm you see im holding out for the update in september (Hopefully). But i live in Norther Ireland and our closest apple store is in Manchester (England)

    is it maybe better for me to get the problem-less old machine than the potentially problem filled new one. If most people have a small query they can just have a quick drive into town to their local mac store. i however have a 70 mile drive a 50 minute sail and then a 60 mile drive lol
     
  24. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
  25. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2008
    #25
    Hey, I speak from both personal experience and advice from a apple retail employee =P
     

Share This Page