iPad mini Buy now, or...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JPS127, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JPS127 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    #1
    I currently have an iPad Air, which is great, but is starting to show its age. I primarily use it for reading, and am considering moving to a Mini. Does anyone think there'll be an upgrade on the current model (4) soon, or should I go for it now?
     
  2. afir93 macrumors 6502a

    afir93

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2018
    #2
    I wouldn't hold my breath for an updated iPad Mini anytime soon; the last update happened 2.5 years ago (in September 2015) and there were some rumors last year suggesting that Apple might be discontinuing the iPad Mini line.

    So if it's absolutely a Mini you want, I'd say go for it now, but do be warned that the current iPad Mini isn't really a great deal (at least for the price that Apple sells them) compared to the normal iPad line. It only has an A8 which wouldn't be a huge step-up from your iPad Air performance wise (which has an A7 I believe), and the $399 it sells for isn't so great when you consider that the most recent iPad starts at $329 and yet features the faster A9 processor and other benefits over the Mini. There are also strong rumors about an update to the iPad line later this month which would make the gap even larger.
     
  3. JPS127 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    #3
    Good point. Much to think about. Thanks.
     
  4. yazounet macrumors member

    yazounet

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2014
    #4
    I would go for an iPad mini 4. because that's exactly what I did. (Sold my mini2) and got the mini4 128GB for $249 during Black Friday.
     
  5. JPS127 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    #5
    That was my thinking, though I'm wondering if there'll be a 5 at all. It's past due.
     
  6. JPack macrumors 68040

    JPack

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2017
    #6
    There's an Apple event on March 27 during which Apple may introduce an updated 9.7" iPad.

    Forget about an updated mini, it's not going to happen.
     
  7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    #7
    At this point I want to see a new Mini mainly just to prove wrong all the people who say it absolutely won’t happen! :D
     
  8. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

    Brandonjr36

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2016
    Location:
    Joplin
    #8
    I’d atleast wait til after March 27th
     
  9. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

    Crow_Servo

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2018
    Location:
    America
    #9
    I upgraded from my 3 1/2 year old Air last month to the mini 4, and I’ve been really happy with it. Still, I’d wait until at least next week’s event to see if anything relevant is announced. If an updated mini or 9.7” are revealed, those would be better buys IMO.
     
  10. JPS127 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    #10
    That's my plan.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2018 ---
    Good advice. Many thanks!
     

Share This Page

9 March 16, 2018