iPad Buy one now? Or in November.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ron7624, May 22, 2014.

1. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Help me decide when I should buy an iPad Air for myself. I have an iPad rMini and I have it with me 24/7's but I want to buy an iPad Air to use when I'm at home. My wife has an Air so I know how much I need this addition.
    So my question is whether I should buy the current iPad Air or wait for the iPad Air 2.
    I have a three, and I thought it would tie me over but it is so slow that I sometimes think it is stuck when it's trying to load things and to me, it is too heavy to hold for any length of time comfortably. That 1/2 lb really makes a difference.
    Thie decision to buy one was made a couple of months ago so I've already been waiting and I'm starting to get tired of waiting. Do you think the new iPad Air 2 will be worth the wait?

2. hologram macrumors 6502

What makes you so sure the iPad Air 2 is coming in November? It might, but then again, it might not. Only Apple knows.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

While it is true that strictly speaking, only Apple knows, I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be new iPads in November. Have to keep up with the competition, entice people to upgrade, etc.

OP, before giving up on your iPad 3, I'd first try restoring it and setting it up as new. If it's still slow, well... I mean, personally, I'd wait, because you do have a rMini, and even if the next iPad is only an incremental update, it'd still be a little faster, may have better camera, more RAM, TouchID... But that's just me. And this is why I always buy new iPads the first day they go on preorder, so I avoid the dilemma of to buy or to wait. :D

4. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

True, only Apple knows, but I've enjoyed new iPads around the Thanksgiving holidays for the past 2 years. I'm pretty confidant they won't disappoint.;)

5. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Apple usually sticks to its schedule of 1 year product releases (only exception so far was the iPad 4th gen so Apple could unify its iOS product-line with the lightning connector). The only "new" features that I can see for the next iPad Air would be Touch ID and incremental internal upgrades. I would recommend getting the current iPad Air since it should be more than suitable for your needs, unless the lack of Touch ID is a deal breaker for you.

6. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I think buy or wait questions are easily solved by asking yourself if you need one or you want one. If you really need one right now, buy it right now. If you simply want one, you could just be a little bit more patient and get the latest device.

I'm in the market for one as well but decided to though it out and wait. Maybe wait until WWDC is over in case they make some sort of announcement regarding iPads. ;)

7. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

Yup, you are right on. I knew that before I posted the question, and I've been waiting this long already. I don't need one but I sure want one.. Wouldn't it be great is something did breaK in WWDC

8. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

To be honest, since you have a retina mini, there's no point in getting an Air.

9. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

I don't think one can have enough new toys, that is, I do find myself using the larger screen at home at times. The ipad 3 that I have is just not as useable as an Air would be to me. My worry is that the next gen of the Air will wow me and I'll be sorry I didn't wait. But I definitely want the larger screen for home use.

10. go ipad macrumors member

go ipad

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Pragmatically speaking - If you have the ability to already possess an iPad Air, a rMini and an iPad 3 - I presume purchasing another one should not be too big a hit financially? If you can afford it, why even bother thinking about it! :apple:

If you can't, then I believe you should stick with your current stable until something stops working..

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Buy now because you want to enjoy it NOW. There is no such thing as perfect timing with device purchases. They are all "old" after about six months anyways which goes by fast. Just buy it if ya want it and have fun.

Life is too short to wait for stuff like device purchases. :D

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I beg to differ. Buy them the moment they are released and you get maximum enjoyment out of having the latest thing before they get "old."

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Quite true. My cutoff point is 4-5 months into the product cycle. It's the same reason I held off from buying the current Nexus 7 with rumors of an imminent release of the Nexus 8.

15. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

He already has a rMini and access to the misses' Air. He would be fullish to get an Air now, when the air 2 will most likely be forced to remedy the main issue that will hold back his rMini and his wife's Air - RAM.

16. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I'd say either wait or buy an Apple Certified Refurbished model at this point.

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

well Eddy Cue said that Apple has the best product pipeline in 25 years coming later this year. That Ipad AIR 2 is gonna have to be AMAZING to beat the debut of the original iPad ;)

----------

If you can wait, do it. Otherwise buy the current one and enjoy it, there is always going to be an update.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That's what I did with my Air and the 3-4 month "new" period goes by awfully fast. I can't agree with maximum enjoyment taking place early on either. I've continually enjoyed my Air even though it's quite "old" now.

We can agree to disagree. :)

I did see that but I almost always reply to "should I buy threads" with a YES. My take is that you can't ever beat the device-getting-old quick paradigm. Life's short. Enjoy.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I'm not sure we are quite disagreeing.

I do still enjoy my Air too. And I've been enjoying it six months longer than someone who buys it today! ;)

I think, if you plan on keeping a device for more than two years, then sure, you just buy it when you need it -- unless the device is being updated in the next month or something. But if you like having the latest and greatest, then the time to get it is at release.

20. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Do you WANT Touch ID on an iPad?

the iPad Air is a good device. If it was me...I'd wait.
    I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4...I had a 5S from work and would have bought the new iPad this year but then work took phones back...so for now I am back to the old iPhone 4.

In the fall I will upgrade the phone. the iPad will have to wait until the following year...unless the computer bites the dust before hand.

BUT if you buy now...you could always try to sell later

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Sure thing. I tend to keep my iPads for a while. I bought a 2 about six months after release and didn't update until the Air was released. I'm such a slacker.... :)

22. ron7624, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

I don't think Touch ID will be utilized on a device that will be kept at home mostly. But when I buy an Apple device I always buy AppleCare with it and with a 32 gig device I'll probably be pushing 900 bucks. Which I can do, but only once every so often LOL. I try to keep my devices throughout AppleCare coverage. My worry is that the iPad Air 2 will have other bells and whistles and I will be sorry that I didn't wait. Besides my retina mini is serving me well. So I'm back to leaning toward waiting.

23. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I'd suggest you wait, even if you don't care about slightly better specs, you could save money, if you get a good deal go for it, otherwise you should probably stick with the Mini for now

24. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I bought my first iPad last June, the original mini. I figured it would not be until January when I could afford to buy the retina mini if it came out and of course it did. I sold the original mini in December at a loss of course and bought the 128GB LTE retina mini.

In March, I also bought an Air. Nothing beats having both and I use them both everyday.

If the OP wants an iPad now, buy it now. You can always sell it later to buy the new one when it comes out.

25. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Do you keep your old electronics or sell or trade them in? I always trade in my old ones at Best Buy and get great trade in values. For one trade in, my husband actually got $50 more for his trade than what the new discounted iPhone actually cost. He was hemming and hawing around until I told him he could continue with his plan, trade in and have $50 more in a gift certificate. It was a no brainer.