Buy open box 15" rMBP for $2199 or wait for Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProMod, May 2, 2013.

  1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #1
    I was dead set on buying an early 2013 15" rMBP 2.7/512/16 open box at Best Buy for $2199 (haggled with the manager), but with today's news on Haswell, it seems like it's going to be a more significant update than generally expected.

    Should I go ahead and pull the trigger or wait for the new model? I'm a graphic designer working mainly in InDesign and Photoshop CS6, running dual external displays (23 and 27") most of the time.
     
  2. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #2
    Can you afford to wait 1-2 months? That is all it appears to be, so unless you need it NOW, I think you should wait.
     
  3. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #3
    I can wait, but it's going to be excruciating. :D My current machine is really struggling to keep up with my workload as of late.
     
  4. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #4
    Since your 17" MBP has an i7 processor and an SSD and is pretty capable considering the age. Which bay is the SSD in? Maybe move all apps and startup to the SSD if you haven't already. What things are you running that it feels sluggish?
     
  5. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #5
    The SSD is in the SuperDrive bay, but to the best of my knowledge it doesn't matter where you put it with this particular model, it's only SATA II everywhere. All apps and startup are already on the SSD. Only thing on the HDD are large work files, movies, music, photos, etc.

    I notice sluggishness the most when working with large InDesign files. I design a 150 page monthly magazine, and it brings the machine to a crawl at times. It's a combination of a lack of processing power, GPU power, and RAM. I'm maxed out at 8GB RAM. I'm definitely looking forward to 16GB+ in any new machine. I even have to export the final document in chunks because InDesign gives me an "out of RAM" message if I try to export the whole thing at once.
     
  6. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #6
    Monthly magazine means you only have to go through with that once or twice more. I think you should wait; once you get the new machine, you'll be glad you waited for that little feature Apple slipped in.
     
  7. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #7
    Good point! What "little feature Apple slipped in" are you referring to?
     
  8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

    bobcan

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    #8
    Ummm.. Ya.. Maybe.. Kinda..

    Well, I have NO idea of your Circumstances or Needs, so:

    1) You don't really NEED one.. or DO you..?? :confused:
    2) You cannot Afford one.. or CAN you..?? :eek:
    3) The fact that you are asking people you don't know to make decisions for you.. See point #1, and Repeat..

    Need It.. Buy It.. Like It.. Use It..

    Repeat as Necessary!!
     
  9. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #9
    I need and can afford. Question is simply gutting it out for two more months or buying at a discounted price now.
     
  10. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #10
    Whatever surprise thing they throw in this year, be it lower SSD prices, more RAM options, quad core 13" etc. They might not do any of these, but if they do, you will be glad you waited.
     
  11. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

    swerve147

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    #11
    You can always buy one now and sell it in a few months. You'll take a hit, though.
     
  12. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #12
    More than anything, I don't want to deal with the hassle of that.
     
  13. fskywalker macrumors 65816

    fskywalker

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #13
    That price seems to be really good for an early 2013; I suggest you check if the screen is LG or Samsung through the script in Terminal mode; if it is a Samsung would say it is definitely a GO.
     
  14. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

    WhiteIphone5

    Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Location:
    Lima, Peru
  15. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #15
    That's $600 off retail on a current model. Seems like a no brainer to me.
     
  16. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #16
    I have a personal policy of NEVER buying any computer that's used, or the box has been opened.

    Too many people I know that have ended up spending more time and money, by trying to save a little. Sometimes things are obviously wrong up front, other times it doesn't fail until some time has gone by. It's just not worth the risk for me.

    You're buying a computer, which is very complex, has many things that can go wrong, and is easily mistreated by someone with no clue.

    Just buy new in a sealed box. You'll be so glad you did.
     
  17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #17
    802.11ac is probably the most significant improvement on the 15" rmbp to expect.
     
  18. steve12341 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2013
    #18
    My laptop screen blank but I still be able to use external monitor for it. I am waiting for next month to get my new MBP
     
  19. TyPod macrumors 68000

    TyPod

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Location:
    And Yourself?
    #19
    Do you need the update? If you don't think you'll benefit from the update I would get the rMBP right now. It's pretty much pick your poison, sacrifice another month with what you're currently working with or get the current rMBP and be bummed when the next update comes out.
     
  20. calderone macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
  21. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #21
    An update to any quad-core Mac available right now would be a big upgrade for me. Just trying to decide if it's worth paying full price for a Haswell machine as soon as they launch or jumping on a deal now. The current rMBP will more than meet my needs, but I don't want to miss out on a significant update, either.

    I think my main concern is that Haswell rMBPs may not be available for a while. If announced June 10 and shipping a month later, you're already into mid July. And to me that's the most optimistic schedule, it could be much later.
     
  22. TyPod macrumors 68000

    TyPod

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Location:
    And Yourself?
    #22
    I feel ya. I think it will be at least a month after the announcement to have one in your hands.
     
  23. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

    dlimes13

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Perrysburg, OH
    #23
    I don't think the Retina will be updated at WWDC. Maybe the cMBP will be (I hope so), but they just "refreshed" them in February. To refresh it again 4 months later is just not going to happen in my opinion. The cMBP has been since June, so I could see one more go-round with that before they discontinue them with Retina models later this year.

    I tried to haggle with multiple Best Buy's on that same open box, they wouldn't move from $2333.99. How did you do it? I'd say $2199 is a great deal and if it is a Samsung screen, just get it.
     
  24. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2005
    #24
    I actually just got them down to $2150 :D I just emailed the managers of various stores in my area with a low ball offer. Some play ball, some don't budge at all, and some don't respond. It's very much like buying a car.

    The store closest to me has three of them in stock, so I'm going to go down there tonight probably and see if any of them have Samsung screens. If I find one, I'm probably going to have to bite.
     
  25. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    #25
    Man buy the bugger, they are $3199 here in Australia. I paid $2,249 for a 15" 8Gb 256Gb a month a go with a 10% discount.

    Can you get me one and send it?
     

Share This Page