Buy or not buy, this is the question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ElPresidente99, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ElPresidente99 macrumors newbie

hello people how are you today?
    shall i buy the iphone 4 or wait? if i buy it now and later on the iphone 4g or the iphone 5 appears, i will kick myself. :D

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The age old question of buy now or wait? In the world of electronics it totally depends on two things: need and budget. If you need the item now and can't afford to wait then go ahead and get it. If you don't need the item now and can wait some time to get the latest and greatest then do so.

In terms of budget it all depends. If you are working from a budget perspective then it's usually better to not have the latest and greatest. Being behind one generation can often save you a lot of money.

The need and budget factors work together based on your tech needs. If you need the features of the latest and greatest then you will have to pay for it at each refresh. If you don't need all of the latest features then saving money becomes a more viable option by using previous generation tech.

Only you know what's best for you, but in the world of technology there is always something new coming out just around the corner. You've got to make that purchase sometime and in doing so you know that your product only has a certain shelf life of being the latest and greatest.

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Wait until WWDC in June and then make your decision.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Wow, is this question getting old or what? :mad:

Maybe make a sticky and throw all these questions into one thread. :confused:

Personally I say buy, buy and buy. It's good for the economy. :)

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Listen here senor presidente,

buy now, whine later

6. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

I agree and would work in somehow the concept of "desire" or "wants" - at least to me, it matters what I want. Need is a factor, budget not as much. My wants drive me to keep upgrading in the world of electronics...

7. iBryton macrumors regular

Wait until WWDC in June and then make your decision.

By the way, its supposed to be "that is the question".. not this is the question.

8. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I think he was channeling Yoda: "Do, or do not. There is no try."

It should be, "To buy, or not to buy: that is the question"

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I just bought the Verizon iPhone now for a few reasons.

1. I was going to wait until WWDC, but it looks like there will be no new hardware unveiled and it looks like no new iPhone until late summer/fall. I don't want to wait another 6 months.

2. I'm now locked into unlimited data!

3. The next iPhone is not expected to be a total design overhaul. I can live with the iPhone 4 for 2 years if the iPhone 5, HD, 4G what ever you want to call it is not a huge upgrade.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Let's hope that you will be grandfathered into unltd when the LTE iPhone comes out.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There will be 11 Million angry people if we're not. :rolleyes:

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If there isn't an iPhone 5, then I'm just going to buy a refurbished iPhone 4 as well, and use an upgrade swap for the iPhone 5.

13. Ponderous macrumors regular

I hardly think you will have to "live" with the iPhone 4. You will love it.

14. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I bought my wife's and my new iPhone 4's about six weeks ago and we got refurbs. It was pretty sweet getting the 32gb models for the price of what the 16gb would have been new. Our phones both look great. From what I remember a refurb 16gb was only $99. We would have strongly considered going this route, but they were out of stock at the time we purchased.

The only thing about buying refurb is that they only guarantee a 90 day warranty. However, Apple will cover the phone based on it's original time of purchase by the original buyer. When we ran our serial numbers my phone has warranty coverage until August and hers has coverage until October or November. We're not getting a full year, but we can always buy Apple Care if we're really concerned about that.

I think when it comes to Apple products refurb should always be strongly considered.

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Next time do some searching before posting a thread.
    There's already many topics about this, and you even copied the same name.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1127012

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Buy now, enjoy your iPhone now, when WWDC comes and goes w/o an iPhone you'll be happy you did.

When the iPhone 5 finally does come, if you like what it has, then sell your IP4 to offset the cost of the purchase.

17. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Buy now! I wouldn't, but it's not my money i'm spending here.

18. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

I agree.

19. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I'm currently upgrade eligible for the iP4 and am struggling to make this decision as well. My current 3GS is fine but I really like the 4 and certainly don't want to wait until 2012 for a new phone. It would be a no-brainer to wait if it wasn't for all the signs that a new phone isn't coming until Fall at the earliest. :(

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

That's where the stickler comes in. Wait 2 months just to see if the iPhone is announced. If not, then wait 4 more months. 6 months is a long damn time to wait when you could be diggin an iPhone 4. (checks craigslist....)

21. iPhoners.org macrumors newbie

iPhoners.org

Buy if you can afford it.
    Replace to the next iPhone when released.
    As simple as that.

22. jaylay0707 macrumors member

Just buy it. Getting mine today. I reckon that I can jailbreak and sell the iPhone 4 when iPhone 5 is released, if it's worth the upgrade.

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You've already waited this long. Waiting a little longer isn't going to kill you.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the kicker wait two months foe June and if no iPhone then. People will tell the OP to wait till sept. At that point. If he's waiting through the third quarter of 2011. Why not wait till 2012 for the iPhone 6.

The potential of 5 to 6 months for an iPhone is a little extreme. Buy now and if need be sell the iPhone when the IP5 does roll out.

Enjoy the phone and it's capabilities now rather then waiting 5 months having to deal with the crazy lines and what not

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You can always buy iPhone 4 now and sell to buy the new iPhone. You'll have out of pocket, depends on your funds.