Buy or wait

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BomberBen, Nov 9, 2014.

1. BomberBen macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Actually on iPhone 4. I am seriously thinking about getting an iPhone 6 but I wonder if I should wait to see what Apple has up it's sleeve for the next iPhone... My iPhone 4 is still working great but it has became really slow since the iOS 7 update, and that's beginning to annoy me. However I wouldn't want to buy in a hurry and regret if the next iPhone is better in many ways than the 6. Can you help?

Thanks!

2. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

Trade up now. You're gaining huge screen real estate, tremendous performance increase, and a level of future proofing you don't have anymore. There's literally no reason to wait another year.

That said, next year's model of anything is always bigger and better. That'll never change. But the time to upgrade in your case is legitimately right now.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Just get on something like AT&T next so you can upgrade again in 12 months. Seriously though the next iPhone is 10 months away and you are already using a 4 year old phone.

Apple will always have something better coming, so either just go with the 6 if you like it or be prepared to be with your 4 forever.

4. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

right so, or wait for the 7 and maybe you can hold off and wait for the 8. it will be a never ending wait. so if i were you (OP) i will just get the 6. since you mentioned that you have a 4, then when you get the 6, it will be a tremendous upgrade from your 4.

5. rockitdog macrumors 68020

If you're not satisfied with the iPhone 6, then I don't know what to tell you. It would be a night and day difference for you in almost every way. What could you be possibly be waiting for? :confused:

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

OP,
    You could make this same argument every year. Every iphone has always had some "killer feature". The S variants, generally see huge speed increases. Last year they introduced Touch ID, the first real hardware "feature", unless you count Siri, to really ever make it to an S phone but not be in its predecessor.

Next year's phone will likely be faster. I don't inagine we will see much in terms of hardware features though.

7. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I can guarantee you this...

The iPhone 6 is absolutely better than your 4..you'll fall in love with it.

The next version of the 6 will be better than this version..if you wait, you'll love that.

The iPhone 7 will absolutely be better than your 4 and the 6 and the 6+ and the next version of 6 next year.

I can go on and on and on.. Go ahead and upgrade as there is at least another 8 months or so before the next version will come out. So if you're desiring now, you might as well go ahead and take the leap. You can sell it if the one next year is "better."

8. BomberBen thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, there are two thing holding me back. First is the "bend gate" I know this is not a common issue and that it shouldn't hold me back but still I believe Apple will likely address it in the next iPhone (or I am wrong). Second, is the size of the device. I'va had a Lumia 920 and found it bulky. From what I've seen the iPhone 6 is about 4mm narrower but I wonder if it's still comfortable to use with one hand?

Also I plan on keeping my next phone for about 3-4 years. I live and Canada and there is no plan to change phone every year yet.

9. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

You could buy a 5S. It's less expensive, a proven design, can be used one-handed, and has most of the latest hardware features. You would give up the bigger screen and Apple Pay, but the 5S would still be far faster than your 4.

10. gCloud macrumors 6502a

you keep your phones for years, get an S version, S is usually better internals which will serve you longer and gates are usually ironed out (antena, scuff, bend)

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I went from a 4 to a 6.

It was a great upgrade, no regrets at all. I might have tried to Walt for the 6S if I wasn't having issues with my 4 though. The touchscreen started randomly stopping working over the summer - I was hoping it would hang on long enough for the 6 to arrive.

I would totally do it again.

Oh, and for me, one of the biggest improvements was the voice call quality. That alone has been great!

12. BomberBen thread starter macrumors newbie

One thing I forgot to ask. Will the price drop enough to justify a wait until spring before changing or will the difference in price won't be worth it?

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think the price drop would be worth the wait. I'd do it now.

14. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

If you get in the s cycle you will always have the best version of that generation. Any kinks will have been ironed out etc.

But going from the 4 to the 6 will be a massive leap forward.

If I had a 4 I wouldn't hesitate, especially if it were on its last legs.

There will always be something better just around the corner. I got the 5, didn't think 'I wish I'd waited' when the 5s came out. I intend to get the 6, and I highly doubt when the 6s comes out i'll think 'damn, i wish I'd waited'

If I were you, I'd go for it and enjoy your new iPhone.

15. Imory, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

Imory macrumors 6502a

Well, a 4 is pretty old at this point, so I'd probably upgrade.

I myself am on a 5, and because of the lack of RAM (it's very noticeable in the podcast, several tabs in Safari, apps closing), the bending issue which is evident on some devices (will probably get fixed in a later batch by January/February), the bugginess of iOS 8, I'll wait.

Now this might sound worse than it is, but since you're coming from a 4, you'll notice so many benefits and enhancements that you probably won't care about my problems with the new phone.

----------

That statement doesn't really make any sense though. Every new generation, whether it's an S or not, will always be better than the previous version.

The 5S had a worse screen in terms of contrast, color reproduction and brightness (not by a huge margin), and the so called "scan lines". Still delivered 1 GB of RAM and suffered more from it than the 5, since every app would have a larger memory footprint (thanks to 64-bit).

Point is, every new phone is always better than the last one (no kidding), so the whole notion of "ironed out" kinks doesn't really apply.

16. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I would upgrade now. I typically prefer to upgrade at the iPhone refreshes rather than the S upgrades. Next years iPhone will likely be the same form factor with a faster processor and slightly better camera. There's literally no reason to wait if you're still on an iPhone 4. The 6 is light years ahead of the 4, never mind the fact that the 6+ is just a beast in comparison.

17. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If your iPhone 4 is working great, then keep using it until it stops. The biggest problem with that is, you shouldn't have upgraded to iOS7. But with a more forcible upgrade policy of the past, it would have been very hard to keep iOS 7 out of your iPhone 4.

So, if the slowness of iOS7 is enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars - then go buy a new phone. If not, save the cash and use it for something else for your family.

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I was still running 6, and the lack of 7 was starting to be an issue for me in some apps. I felt that helped me have a more positive experience with my 4 longer.

19. BomberBen thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying 7 helped you have a more positive experience? Did your iPhone 4 got less smooth and slower?

20. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

No, I feel like staying at 6 helped me have a better experience on my 4. My mom upgraded though and never had major issues. My daughter was gifted a 4s that was at 7, and her 4 had been at 6. She wished the 4 s even was not at 7.

My issues started with a rough fall in a parking lot. Nothing external from it, but it seemed to freak out after that. I never felt like it slowed down just at times my perception of it maybe. It wasn't fair to compare my 3G iPhone 4 to the LTE iPad air yup know?

It doesn't matter because you can't roll it back to 6.

But the jump from the 4 to the 6 has been nice. My current plan will be wait until the 7 or 7s. I have LTE, NFC and touch ID. I'm good for now!

21. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

You'll be asking yourself this question forever. Just upgrade imo.

22. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

One thought is if you're using it with a case, switch to using it "naked". It will feel like you're using a new phone. You can always get spare parts from online stores that are sooo cheap nowdays since it's an older phone ($30 for a screen assembly, $10 for a back panel, $10 for a battery).

23. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

Lol. The 6/6+ is the best version of the generation too. And you can have it today!

24. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

You are never going to know if you don't upgrade. You do have a return period if you don't like it. I think it is going to be a shock going from a 4 to a 6. Have you actually gone and held a 5s and a 6/6+ in the store to see what fits for your life style? It's just impossible to have strangers decide for you.

25. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

No I mean this particular iPhone will be improved (albeit slightly) when the 6s is released. All the supposed kinks will be ironed out and everything will be just that little bit better. So during the '6' generation of iPhone the 6s/6s+ will be the best one.

Just as the 5s was the best phone of the '5' cycle. And the 4s the best of the 4 cycle etc.

I'm not saying to wait. As I said. There will always be something better on the horizon. The second the 5 was released people start wondering about the 6 etc etc. If it were a few months down the line then yes, I'd say maybe wait. But the iPhone 6 is brand new. Get it bought.