Buy Or Wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcannon, Aug 8, 2009.

  1. jcannon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2009
    #1
    I'm debating whether to buy a new MBP, or wait until September for potential updates to the model. I'm not in a rush. That said, I'm ready to buy. I'm curious if folks are aware of such a likelihood (or even additional price drops) - thoughts?

    Also, blurg - when will apple update their 30" display...not as hopefuly on that one :)

    thanks,
    Jamie
     
  2. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

    Lukeyboy01

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Location:
    Birmingham, UK
  3. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #3
    Waiting is useless as the MacBook Pros were just updated 2 months ago. Go ahead and buy. Additional price drops are *highly* unlikely.
     
  4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2009
    #4
    If you wait, you're waiting until February until the next update.

    Lets not forget our little friend, the macrumors buyers guide!

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
     
  5. -js- macrumors regular

    -js-

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Southern California
    #5
    Buy a uMBP now. Don't wait. You'll be waiting a long time if you do. And the current batch of MBP's is awesome.
     
  6. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

    reel2reel

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    #6
    I say wait until 2020. They'll definitely be better then!
     
  7. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #7
    The Question is Do you need it now
    or
    Later

    and remember tec is always moving
     
  8. gusious macrumors 65816

    gusious

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2007
    Location:
    Greece
    #8
    +1.

    Also, if you like the way they are now then go buy one. If not then wait.
     
  9. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Location:
    Behind you...!
    #9
    *places gun to head*

    Best time to buy is on the day of the next update.
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    You're not going to see another update to the MBP line in 2009, its just too early. Maybe in January of 2010 or whenever intel releases the mobile versions of Nehalem (arrandale/clarksfield).

    As others have stated, if you need one one, don't hold back, get it and enjoy.
     
  11. designed macrumors 6502

    designed

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2005
    Location:
    Finland
    #11
    Agreed, the lineup was updated just two months ago so no update is now imminent. If you need it, buy it.
     
  12. shambo macrumors 6502a

    shambo

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #12
    I disagree. The OP should wait as there is no point in wasting hard earned dollars on old technology. This has been said before time and time again. :rolleyes:
     
  13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #13
    Buy it now if you need it, and wait if you merely want it. As other posters have pointed out, and update/upgrade is not likely to happen in the near future; however, that is not a good reason not to buy if you actually need a computer as the current generation of MBPs are excellent computers.

    Whether you buy now or later, I'd also recommend strongly that you buy Applecare; it will give you peace of mind, and will make your computer more attractive to potential purchasers should you wish to sell it.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #14
    If you are a student, buy now. But no updates from now until the new year.
     

Share This Page