Buy retina pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tyler2Tall, Jun 22, 2014.

  1. Tyler2Tall macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2010
    #1
    I've been planning on picking up a retina pro when the next update occurs, but was wondering if the current prices make this current model worth it. This week bestbuy has the 8GB Ram version on sale for 1425, combine that with the edu coupon and the movers coupon, and it ends up right around $1200.

    Are the MacBook upgrades usually substantial like the phone or tablet upgrades? Will the upgrades be worth $300? Are there any big issues with the current model, that makes waiting the right thing to do? I've never owned a Mac, but have had iPhones and iPads. I don't expect to do any super heavy lifting on it, besides some iPhone app development. I have a 23 inch monitor I typically use at home, so the screen size isn't a huge deal.
     
  2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

    ionjohn

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    If you're willing to wait, it'll be maybe 5 months or more, so that's a long wait. We'll see the usual, better cpu and graphics performance, better battery life and probably a $100 price drop or something, which means the refurbished models will be even cheaper.
     
  3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

    TheIguana

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    Do you need a new Mac now? Ala will you be starting school in the fall, or do you have a big new project that will require it? If so buy the current rMBP.

    FYI, if you are a student I would advise waiting until Apple starts is back to school promo in the next month or so where they typically give out $100 iTunes gift cards with the purchase of a new Mac.

    If you can wait, then yes what is coming in the pipeline will likely be good - it always is with technology. But be prepared to wait until bare minimum late October if not January 2015 for updates to the rMBP.
     
  4. TechGod macrumors 68040

    TechGod

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2014
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #4
    I bought a new rMBP 13" model. I bought it because I needed, I suggest go for it. There is no point waiting because you'll keep on waiting.

    Besides broadwell won't be coming before Q1 2015 so it's a long wait.
     
  5. Altemose macrumors G3

    Altemose

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2013
    Location:
    Elkton, Maryland
    #5
    Buy it now. You won't see a refresh until the end of the year or beginning of next year at least!
     
  6. OneMike macrumors 603

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #6
    I have this same dilemma and am on the fence. Leaning more to the wait side though.
     
  7. TechGod macrumors 68040

    TechGod

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2014
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #7
    Don't. You will wait just too long IMO. Broad well will be out in Q1 2015, that's way too long.
     
  8. taelan28 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2014
  9. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    #9
    I vote "wait" because the very question itself tells me you don't actually need it right now and there will always be something better and/or cheaper coming down the line.

    But it when you need it, no sooner, no later. Well, unless an unusually good deal falls in your lap.
     
  10. carjakester macrumors 68020

    carjakester

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location:
    Midwest
    #10
    i waited 6 months for my macbook and it was worth it!
     
  11. Sifinity macrumors 6502

    Sifinity

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2014
    Location:
    Texas
    #11
    but then the fact is that if you waited an extra 6 months you coudlve gotten something even better ? the wait never ends
     
  12. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    I'd say the wait too far off, get it now and enjoy it now.
     
  13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

    s2mikey

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2013
    Location:
    Upstate, NY
    #13
    I agree with this. Time flies by when it comes to devices and electronics so it's best to ignore the calendar and just buy what you want end start enjoying it NOW. Even if you bought the absolute latest and greatest, that moniker only lasts a few months anyways.;)
     
  14. TechGod macrumors 68040

    TechGod

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2014
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #14
    Agreed! If you wait for tech you will wait forever. I personally love my rMBP and have no regrets.
     
  15. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

    MasterHowl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    North of England
    #15
    I am also in this situation...

    So broadwell won't be out until the end of this year/Q1 2015? I thought that they were meant to be out "before the holiday season"?

    I can feel that my extensively used mid-2009 MBP is coming to the end of its life, perhaps it's worth the wait if I can hold off a few more months.
     
  16. imm22, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

    imm22 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Location:
    Portugal
    #16
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747707
     
  17. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

    MasterHowl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    North of England
    #17
    Ah I see. I think I'll keep chugging along with my current MBP until the new ones come out. I know that waiting for new tech is a fools game, but if I can keep going I will because my machine is still usable (but getting slow now...).

    Oh decisions decisions. It's not a bad problem to have though!
     
  18. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2012
    #18

    Intel just officially announced that Broadwell CPUs suitable for the rMBP will be in Q1 2015.

    If any Broadwell chips make it to market in 2014 they will be ULV ones for the Macbook Air.
     
  19. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

    MasterHowl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Location:
    North of England
    #19
    Oh right, thanks for the info! Hmmmmmm
     
  20. Sifinity macrumors 6502

    Sifinity

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2014
    Location:
    Texas
    #20
    also in similar position can't decide if i should buy it right now when apple starts there back to school stuff or wait till next reiteration ; the only reason im waiting is for 850m dgpu vs 750m dgpu . is it going to be worth the wait if i do so?
     
  21. Vanilla Face, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014

    Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    #21
    Source?

    ----------

    Do you have something that works in the mean time? If so, yes, it'll be worth the wait
     
  22. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

    TheIguana

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #22
    It's a vague statement that Intel made to CNET

    The operative words there are broader OEM availability in 2015.
     
  23. Vanilla Face, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014

    Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    #23
    That's what I thought he was referencing. That is very different than "Intel just officially announced that Broadwell CPUs suitable for the rMBP will be in Q1 2015."

    It's not an official announcement. It leaves a lot of room for speculation, which is exactly what cnet is doing. Not saying they are wrong, but I wouldn't count that as an official statement or anything definitive.

    To me it says some broadwell chips will come out in 2014, others in 2015. It does not say which chips are coming when. Also, Apple has been known to get intel chips before other OEMs.
     
  24. ProVideo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    #24
    I just ordered a new MBPr. Several online sellers are giving good discounts and deals right now. It seems that the current model is reliable and most issues have been addressed with software updates. I usually like to wait a few months after a product refresh to see what the general consensus is on any hardware issues or bugs.
     
  25. imm22 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Location:
    Portugal
    #25
    Buy retina pro now or wait?


    I have tried to purchase one today, the high end 15" with the GeForce 750M on Portuguese Apple store (phone) and with Apple Care. Asked the seller for some discount or any offer, and the answer was: No! No discount, no offerings... I was so surprised by this that I step back, and didn't bought anything.
    This was the first time that this happened. I own several apple devices; the macs and the iPads always have some kind of discount or offering when the purchase is made by the phone line.
    But not this time
     

Share This Page