Buy S3 from Verizon or Apple?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JerTheGeek, Sep 12, 2017.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I am considering getting the S3 Cellular, does anyone know if I have to buy from Verizon to get the three months free and activation fee waived, or can I still get that if I get the Watch from Apple and then bring it to Verizon?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's a good question for Verizon, I would call them directly and ask. They should have the product details to be able to answer that question.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I bet verizon knows, you should give them a call.

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Will do, thanks!

5. AppleLuvver macrumors member

AppleLuvver

6. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

You can return it without penalty if you buy from apple.

7. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

I just got off the phone with Verizon and they have no idea how this will work. They have not received any info regarding pricing/terms and are hoping the info gets released before Friday morning pre-order time. They suspect it will cost $10/month for adding another device however outside of that they are clueless.

The CSR told me the day they released their unlimited data plan the CSRs had no info about the program and were scrambling to answer consumer calls.

8. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hmm I hope they have it sorted out by then. I would like to just order from Apple because it’s a better experience I think. But VZW probably won’t give me the discounts if I do that, from what it looks like now.

9. steelo3232 macrumors regular

I could be wrong (my wife tells me so all the time) :) However, I don't believe Verizon will, not ever has sold or offered Apple Watches. They weren't on their website after series 2 came out and they aren't on there now. I think you have to pre-order these from Apple directly or on release day hit a Target/Bestbuy/ etc.

10. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Verizon has a page saying preorder starts on the 15th at 3AM EST. http://www.verizonwireless.com/connected-devices/apple-watch-series-3/
    They haven’t sold them before though, as you said.

So it does look like they will have pre order.

11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Just talked to verizon on the phone; the CSR confirmed what we were expecting, you have to pre order from them to get the offer. Makes sense, hopefully it will be pretty easy to get one for launch day, if ordered right after pre orders go live.

12. ZebraDude, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

ZebraDude macrumors 65816

ZebraDude

Now another thing to consider is how good is the LTE coverage in your world with Verizon. I bring this up as both Sprint and Verizon are hobbled due to a lack of UMTS Band. The Apple Watch will not have a CDMA radio so if you get a lot of 3G indicators on your phone you need to consider that...

13. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I read the fine print on apple.com and says the watches won't get roaming service.
    If you are traveling to canada or mexico the LTE watch could be as useless as wifi watch.

[​IMG]

14. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

Can anyone confirm monthly charge for Verizon to add cellular to Apple Watch serie3

15. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

It’s $10. VZW rep confirmed that for me. But if you pre order from them directly you get 3 months free.

16. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Not a bad deal. You least have the option of trying LTE for 90 days and you can cancel before you are actually charged anything.

18. paapplefan macrumors newbie

Did anyone get a confirmation on - you only get the 3 months free if you buy through Verizon? You can't get the same deal if you buy through Apple? Is there an activation fee and can you turn off and restart the plan at anytime?

19. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I got confirmation from a VZ CSR you can only get the 3 months free if you pre order through them. There is an activation fee, but it is also waived with the 3 month free offer. As for whether you can stop service anytime I don’t know.

20. paapplefan macrumors newbie

Thanks! Well I guess it's best to pre-order from Verizon just to be sure. Will give it a try!

21. ricktat macrumors 65816

6 month payment plan offer like their other expensive smart watches.

I am still confused if you have to upgrade your phone with watch purchase to get the waived activation fee.

Meaning buy the watch tonight and add to my 7. Buy the X next month.

22. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

From my understanding you don’t have to upgrade your phone with the Watch. It says new customers have to buy and activate a new iPhone for the offer to apply, but existing customers must simply have an iPhone 6 or newer already on Verizon.

23. ricktat macrumors 65816

Verizon site:

Maybe I missed this or just added:

New customers have to buy and activate a new iPhone before purchasing Apple Watch to redeem this offer.

$399 device payment purchase required. Must have iPhone 6 or newer on Verizon. $10 line access fee waived for first 3 months. $30 activation fee waived instantly.

24. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

Do you have a link to this info on the Verizon site? I have looked and can't find it.

25. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek