Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Facebook hates Apple so that's no surprise. I hardly get on their crappy app anymore anyways. So no loss there. Mark is going to start giving speeches on social media to disarm people's views about data use. Hint: You wouldn't need to if you hadn't created the issue in the first place.

Nest and Google being Android owned companies, it'll happen just not as quickly as we'd like. I wish Nest supported HomeKit, also unlikely.

The rest, your guess is as good as mine...

But many other apps have also been updated too! For me it's been a good indication of what developers are active with their apps and whites ones aren't. Helps weed out stale apps and see which ones I'm really and truly using too.

Didn't Apple say they had to be updated by March or something of this year, or Am I thinking of something else?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I think this 11 is great, but a little on the silly side. Apparently, almost all apps are not optimized, and probably will never be, except for a handful.

Not the end of the world, but not ideal. I guess they used this ratio for the keyboard (as someone here pointed out to me at launch). If they had used a smaller 10", that might have been a little better, as it would be the same principle as the new 12.9.

Maybe they will make a 10" Pro version. I would trade in this 11 for that, as I don't use the Apple Smart keyboard.

Was the 11" a mistake? Perhaps. The thing is, there's no choice if you don't want to lug around the big version, and want the pro features.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Maybe they will make a 10" Pro version. I would trade in this 11 for that, as I don't use the Apple Smart keyboard.

I'd prefer to have some apps optimized for the bigger screen than to give up the bigger screen so I could have them all optimized. I don't even pay attention to what is and isn't optimized. I just use and love my device.

I must say I'm fascinated by this attitude. It's like the notch all over again. It seems some people (myself included) pay so much attention to the content that they don't notice what surrounds it. Others, like yourself it seems, can't seem to ignore the areas surrounding the content and find it distracting. I tune out the little black bars and home bar indicator around my apps on my iPad and don't even notice the notch on my phone. For me, those things just fade away. Yet I've seen enough posts on both subjects to know that not everyone can do that. It's too bad since it seems to keep people from enjoying their devices as much.

Reactions: Never mind

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I think this 11 is great, but a little on the silly side. Apparently, almost all apps are not optimized, and probably will never be, except for a handful.

What? A good number of apps that I use have been updated. It took months for several apps to be updated for the iPhone X when it came out. Saying they 'probably will never be' is a shot in the dark.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
What? A good number of apps that I use have been updated. It took months for several apps to be updated for the iPhone X when it came out. Saying they 'probably will never be' is a shot in the dark.

Oh. I just bought one, and all the apps I normally use are not optimized, so I assumed this was the case. Good to know it's better than I thought.

I just get the feeling that these said apps, will never be updated if they haven't already.

One way or the other, I don't really care. I just saw this thread and thought i'd add to it. Seems my addition was rife with inaccuracies. At least i'm consistent? :)

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I just get the feeling that these said apps, will never be updated if they haven't already.

It's frustrating for certain. Google has updated some apps like Search and Google Photos, but not others like Gmail yet. There's an ongoing thread where people are listing when apps are updated to support the new resolution.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Just got my 11" Pro this week and have been really disappointed and this is one of the reasons. So many of the apps I use regularly haven't been updated (and possibly never will be) so I get a smaller display area than I did on my 10.5".

I'm also really missing a physical home button and Face ID is driving me crazy. Not because it isn't accurate or it is slow, but because the way I hold the iPad most of the time I'm constantly blocking the #@#$ing camera - hopefully that will improve but it is proving hard to break an almost 9 year habit to now be told I'm holding it wrong! ;). But that compounds the frustration. They remove the touchid/button for a bigger screen that isn't being used by many of my apps.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just got my 11" Pro this week and have been really disappointed and this is one of the reasons. So many of the apps I use regularly haven't been updated (and possibly never will be) so I get a smaller display area than I did on my 10.5".

I'm also really missing a physical home button and Face ID is driving me crazy. Not because it isn't accurate or it is slow, but because the way I hold the iPad most of the time I'm constantly blocking the #@#$ing camera - hopefully that will improve but it is proving hard to break an almost 9 year habit to now be told I'm holding it wrong! ;). But that compounds the frustration. They remove the touchid/button for a bigger screen that isn't being used by many of my apps.

Ideally there would have been two FaceID sensors in the bezels. But that’s just the way it is.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Google Maps was just updated. And Facebook. So, it's getting there. But Amazon... Please update at least the Kindle App.

Reactions: bhodinut

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Maybe NFL Gamepass could be updated in time for the Super Bowl?

Or at least before the start of next season?

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Does PUBG support full screen on the 12.9”? I have a 11” iPad Pro, and I’m getting tired of the black bars, the game is updated too. It has a option in graphics settings, for rounded corner displays. But yet, I have these big black bars still..

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
After using it for a while, the borders don't bother me at all. Just looks like a 10.5 with some apps. A non-issue. Also, for my use, the face ID seems to be a huge advantage. Really easy.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Face
After using it for a while, the borders don't bother me at all. Just looks like a 10.5 with some apps. A non-issue. Also, for my use, the face ID seems to be a huge advantage. Really easy.

Face ID is very seamless, and it just works, it’s perfect honestly. You can only use 2 faces though, maybe they will let you add more eventually. I know when I use the finger print on my iPhone SE, I have like 4 different prints added for ease of unlocking with either thumb, or either index finger.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Just ordered a 11' iPad Pro. Not sure what to think now. Is the 10.5" iPad Pro a better buy? Is this issue a real world problem or the sort of thing that simply lives on MR forums? I don't stare at my phone to see dead pixels or repeatedly obsess if my iPad is with in .0000000000005% tolerance. So is this going to bother me? Would I even really notice if it wasn't brought up here?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Just ordered a 11' iPad Pro.

Congratulations!

Not sure what to think now.

How about, Yay, I just ordered an 11" iPad Pro?

Is the 10.5" iPad Pro a better buy?

For some it is, and for others it's not. Everyone has different needs and tastes.

Is this issue a real world problem or the sort of thing that simply lives on MR forums? I don't stare at my phone to see dead pixels or repeatedly obsess if my iPad is with in .0000000000005% tolerance. So is this going to bother me? Would I even really notice if it wasn't brought up here?

I don't know if my phone has dead pixels either. Or if my iPad is bent. They both appear good enough for me not to go looking for problems. I don't see the notch on my phone and I don't see big, black borders around my apps. Others do. So I can't say if it will bug you or not. But since you appear not to obsess over other things, I think you stand a great chance of loving your iPad. I certainly love mine.

There's something that keeps getting brought up over and over and over. Keep in mind that more people come to sites like this because they have issues than people coming to give praise. So if you use this site as your guide, you may get a skewed perspective of reality. Also, some people come here in a deliberate attempt to turn a molehill into a mountain. If the situation were as dire as some would have you believe, Apple wouldn't be selling iPads. And there would be articles about it all over the place (not an article or two from some random bloggers with an ax to grind). The media loves a good Apple story and they wouldn't shy away from unusable iPads.

The moral is, see how you like it. If you don't like it, return it. Otherwise, Congratulations! And try to take the problems you read about here with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanwarsaw

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Congratulations!

How about, Yay, I just ordered an 11" iPad Pro?

For some it is, and for others it's not. Everyone has different needs and tastes.

I don't know if my phone has dead pixels either. Or if my iPad is bent. They both appear good enough for me not to go looking for problems. I don't see the notch on my phone and I don't see big, black borders around my apps. Others do. So I can't say if it will bug you or not. But since you appear not to obsess over other things, I think you stand a great chance of loving your iPad. I certainly love mine.

There's something that keeps getting brought up over and over and over. Keep in mind that more people come to sites like this because they have issues than people coming to give praise. So if you use this site as your guide, you may get a skewed perspective of reality. Also, some people come here in a deliberate attempt to turn a molehill into a mountain. If the situation were as dire as some would have you believe, Apple wouldn't be selling iPads. And there would like be articles about it all over the place (not an article or two from some random bloggers with an ax to grind). The media loves a good Apple story and they wouldn't shy away from unusable iPads.

The moral is, see how you like it. If you don't like it, return it. Otherwise, Congratulations! And try to take the problems you read about here with a grain of salt.

I am just going to stick with the order. 12.9 s too big and it sounds like there are enough features to make the 11" a winner over the 10.5" I was going to go with the 10.5 with 128GB but will do the 11 with 64GB.

My 12" MacBook died from a beer spill so hoping this will replace it. It still works but the keyboard is finished. Anybody know if I can just clam shell it and screen share somehow? There aren't many things I need a laptop for but the few I do would be great if that type of set up works.

One of the few things I need is to get into my movie library on my time capsule and put it to my Apple TV. If there is an easy way to do this it is one step to not needing my laptop at all.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Y
Just ordered a 11' iPad Pro. Not sure what to think now. Is the 10.5" iPad Pro a better buy? Is this issue a real world problem or the sort of thing that simply lives on MR forums? I don't stare at my phone to see dead pixels or repeatedly obsess if my iPad is with in .0000000000005% tolerance. So is this going to bother me? Would I even really notice if it wasn't brought up here?

You will be fine with the 11” it’s like over 100% faster than the 10.5” model.
The aspect ratio has never bothered me that much at all, it’s really fine.

Reactions: ryanwarsaw

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Gmail app finally got updated for the 11" IPP. I'm so relieved because those apps bother me a lot. Now I just need Amazon to get on board.

I don't have my iPad with me. Is it the new material design or the existing "red" interface? Either way I'm happy they updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.