Buyer wants shipped to Africa?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Philberttheduck, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

I posted on Craigslist a laptop and got a response from a person who is away in Barbados but wants to pay via PayPal but shipped to Africa. My instincts are telling me to say no because of how sketchy shipping a laptop to africa is, but the person did say they would pay via PayPal so I want to say yes.

Any suggestions? I'm not used to dealing internationally on Craigslist. below is the transcipt

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Scam. They all have similar formats. (i.e. I am going out of state, I am willing to offer $100 over the orig. price). If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Yup, it's a scam.

Only do business with people that you will be able to meet to make the sale.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. This offer screams "scam". Don't touch with the proverbial bargepole; instead, run a mile in the opposite direction.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Cheers

5. Philberttheduck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

thanks guys. btw just wondering but if they transfer via paypal how isn't it safe (not trying to flame, actually would like to know)

6. 2056 macrumors 6502

i hate when this happens. it's always the same story about being a doctor and the kid being away at school and the father wants to suprise him for his birthday with a used computer. :rolleyes:

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

They just have a fake or spoofed paypal account.

Delete and move on.

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

well they send you the paypal money which is based in the US and whenever you ship it to them in Africa they file a claim that they never got it. Since you didn't ship it to a registered paypal address your SOL and there is no way that you can send it to a paypal address in Africa because there is no paypal in Africa.

9. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

10. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Scam.

It's either a stolen Paypal acct.
    A fake paypal acct.
    Or a legit Paypal acct. that will reverse charges on you.

Chance of this being legit is about 1 in 1000000.
    IF I were to deal with this person, the only way would be if he used Western Union or we dealt reputable Escrow company that I choose.

In all reality I wouldn't waste my time because this is a blatant scam, in fact I'd be more tempted to "accept" the deal and ship him dog crap in a box with a nice note telling him what I thought.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

That can't work. Because if I was the seller I wait until there is real money that is in my bank account, not in just my paypall account. I ship only after I have the cash

So how does the scam work?

12. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

1.)Scammer uses a fake / stolen credit card, or a stolen account.
    2.)Sends you the money.
    3a.) Its a stolen card, Paypal finds out it stolen and they debit your paypal account and they actually take the money from your bank account linked to your paypal account if you have nothing or not enough in your paypal account, which you legally allowed them to do. Read the fine print of your agreement with paypal, you have authorized them to do this.

If you don't have the money in your paypal and or bank account, (better make sure you never do either because they check your account and can even take partial reimbursements.) They will eventually turn you over to a collection agency.

3b.)They stole/hacked a paypal account or better yet say it was stolen/hacked. The exact same rules as above apply.

Read more at:
    http://www.paypalsucks.com/

I know first hand this happens as I have been a personal victim of this, it really does happen.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Did you miss post #10?

After they receive the item, they file a complaint that they never received it. Then, the deposit into your Paypal account gets reversed. It doesn't matter if the cash finally gets to your bank account. If a deposit into your Paypal account gets reversed and you've already pulled the cash out, Paypal will draw the cash out of your bank account or you will owe Paypal the money (I believe you can have a negative balance).

14. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

ha! the way the email is written, souns like you are dealing with Borat!

On a slightly related note, can anyone remember the link to the story where the macbook owner shipped a weighted white ringbinder to a scam - buyer in the UK...

its ok I found it.. well a linky to linky anyway

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/06/07/m-m-m-macbook-pro-ebay-scam/

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Even if the money gets in your bank account, they can still file a funds-reversal and have Paypal suck it OUT of your bank account.

It isn't worth it. Take a 5% hit on the sale and lower your price to sell locally.

16. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Wait a minute -- I've actually received this same email! Seriously, don't bother.

Any time they don't mention what "the item" is - it is a spambot.

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

A number of ways:
    - forged / spoofed PayPal payment email
    - stolen credit card

The list is endless - do a google search on scams and craigslist and paypal for more information

18. Cander macrumors 6502

19. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

Send him a pack of bubble gum and a picture of your ---- with a note that says "Chew on This".

There's more screaming coming from this scam than a Saw movie.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

first rule of craigslist = only in person for cash in a public place.

Any offer that requires you to ship is a scam so forget about it.

21. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Others have already told you, but why would you SHIP, if you're selling on Craigslist, craigslist is meant for LOCAL in person, cash only transactions.
    Also, as another poster pointed out, there is a LINK on the FRONT page of each city's craiglist's about scams(avoid scams and frauds). If you'd have bothered to read it, you wouldn't have to even post here :p

The first thing it says(when you click the link) is:
    DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Then all you have to deal with are the people willing to grab the equipment and literally run away with it ... think someone on here lost a camera with that method.

23. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Looks like a scam; don't do it.

Habitus :apple: