Buyer's remorse (15" too big)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SWD, Mar 25, 2015.

1. SWD, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

SWD macrumors member

Anyone else ever buy the 15" rMBP only to feel it's just a bit too big? I just want to know I'm not alone.

While I don't travel, it's not a desktop replacement either. So it's either on a kitchen counter (which is already cluttered) or on a lap on the couch. We're coming from a 13" 2010 MBP, and I thought I would appreciate the larger screen more than the added bulk, but it's just a bit too much when also fighting off toddlers.

We really don't need that much power. If the new Macbook line were more mature, it would be a good idea, but I would like a bit more beef (2010 iMac latest machine), and the air and pro lines are too close to not get the retina screen.

And while I wish the 13" had a better graphics card, truth is own 1 game that I haven't played in a year (simcity). It works very well on on the 15", but I'm sure it will be fine on the 13", better than our 2010 for sure.

UPDATE: I was within the return window at Best Buy and returned the 15" rMBP a week after a bought it. I am waiting for that refund to clear before ordering BTO 13" rMBP from Apple.

2. LMD75 macrumors 6502

You are not alone and I agree with you to some extent although I think I personally need to give it more time.

The 13" is definitely nicer to grab and transport around the house. I move mine from a kitchen table to the sofa and store it on top of a high book case so that the kids cannot get hold of it.

I find when using it on the sofa it is kind of balancing on the arm and not stable.

Its not that it is heavy or anything - just a bit cumbersome compared to the 13" form factor. Its actually amazing how powerful and slim this device is.

But then again, the screen is way better with double the RAM and quad core.

It reminded me of when the iPhone 6 Plus came out and I decided on the 6 at the compromise of battery, OIS and screen size.

I just wish that Apple would offer the same specs in the two form factors.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If it is within 14 days of purchase from an apple store, you can exchange. However, the 15" is a far superior computer in performance, and the bigger screen is nice to have. As far as weight is concerned, 4.5 lbs is still very light, and a welcome change from 5.6 lbs in the older 15" MBP. I don't think I could go back to a 13" if it was my only computer.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you within the return period?

Even if you're a bit outside of that, go to your local apple store and explain things, they may offer to exchange the computer.

5. newellj macrumors 601

I used to use a 15" and a 13" at home and had basically the same problem. It wasn't really a desktop replacement (and I kept the desktop running anyway), and it was for me too big and too heavy to be portable. Great and lovely machine, wrong user/machine match.

6. LMD75 macrumors 6502

Your thread helped me think long and hard and for something this expensive you need to be 100%. I just returned my 15" 30 minutes ago simply because I want my laptop to be like a laptop. I also have a ThinkPad T440 (14") and also the X240 (12.5") and much prefer the smaller X series.

Just like the iPhone 6 Plus versus the 6 I had to make a compromise. For me form factor is of more importance over power.

Also its a little easier to decide now as the new 13" has just been refreshed with the Broadwell CPU, can now support 4K at 60hz, has the faster SSD with the updated TrackPad.

7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

nope. set the display to more space resolution and enjoy the 1080p (1200p) goodness.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you

Bought it in the last 2-3 weeks go back to apple and ask to exchange for the 13 inch.

9. cinealta macrumors 6502

Yes I agree. The 13 inch is much more manageable.

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Interesting. For me it's the other way. I have a 13 and my wife has a 15. Sometimes I feel like i should have gone for the 15.

For you it sounds like the 13 will work better. You should be able to exchange it at the Apple store especially if it's within the 14 day return period.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Here's the pics from the Ars review between the 13" MBA and 13" MBP.

Attached Files:

12. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Funny how the 13 Pro has a smaller footprint. You'd think it would be the other way around.

13. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Wasn't surprising to me. The 13" rMBP has constant thickness throughout the laptop to place components and battery. The wedge design means Apple engineers probably had spread out the components into a larger footprint.

Also, there's the fact that the MBA is a 2010 design while the rMBP is a Late 2013 design.(The 13" rMBP was slightly thicker in the late 2012/early 2013 models)

14. newellj macrumors 601

It's that freakin' ginormous bezel. :mad:

----------

Eight square inches, actually, which can make a difference if you have 20 people jammed around a conference table.

15. SWD thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I am aware of the return policy. I only got it last week. I will be ordering a 13" with max ram, and still saving $300 in the process.

16. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

I think the 13" is a great size, but Iʻve been loving my 15". Love the screen size and better sounding stock speakers. Mostly though, I love that even though the laptop has a larger footprint than its siblings, itʻs also very thin. I close it and I see a decent sized laptop, but every time I handle it and see it from its side, Iʻm wowed by itʻs thinness. :)

17. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Don't be surprised if you end up missing the screen real estate of the 15". I've owned both, often at the same time, and the 13" is simply too small for me.

18. madflava54 macrumors member

I'm surprised how great the speakers are as well coming from a 13''

I just switched 13'' to 15''. I could not go back now. I love the real estate.

19. David58117 macrumors 65816

I struggled with this too!

I even started with a 15" retina, returned it for the 13", then after a few days had tons of regret and went pleading back to the store for the 15".

I do miss the portability (and battery), but I think the screen is better (not just size), and there were some instances on certain websites that I would notice lag..while I have none with the 15".

So, after experiencing the remorse and returning it for a 13" - I'm glad to be back with a 15"!

20. msh macrumors regular

I like the 15" because I think of my laptop as an extension of my (MP) desktop. I like to have something close to my desktop and screen area when I am away from my desktop in another room. For traveling I have a 11" MBA. So really different form factors for different uses.

21. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I had a 2012 15" MBP, which did the trick, but I now prefer my 2014 13" MBA.
    It actually feels quicker - probably because of the SSD.

22. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I have two machines, one for home and one for travelling with work - both of which are opposite ends of the spectrum - an 11" air and a 15" pro.

I love the pro, the display is gorgeous, and the power is great. BUT, I couldn't imagine carrying it around all day. It's more of a desktop replacement than a laptop.

The air is the opposite - it's nice and light to carry, but if you want to do any serious work on it, you need a second display.

23. appleminion macrumors member

looks like you need the 13" pro, the perfect in between

24. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I have to have 2 machines as I have to have a separate one for work :(.

My problem with the 13 is that as well as losing two inches, I'd lose 2 cores, and the dedicated graphics card. As well as all the other little bits the 15" has, like a subwoofer, that just make it a more rounded machine.

If I could have a 13" with the internal spec of the current 15", then I would. I still don't really see the 13" as a pro, personally.

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, there's a reason Apple sees it as a Pro. They've probably done market studies and found the 15" to be bigger than what may people are willing to tolerate in a laptop. So they make the 13" to offer a smaller alternative. But with the smaller footprint comes a smaller battery, and not being able to advertise 8-9-10 hours of battery life, they'd rather not put the quad core on it since the same market research has probably shown them who needs a quad core and who doesn't.

It's great to have options. Me, personally, don't consider a laptop to be a Pro unless you are talking one of the Alienware monsters. For Pro work, you need a Pro machine, you know, like the Mac Pro. Laptops are exercises in compromises. The 15" is a compromise. The 13" is another compromise. As long as you are willing to deal with the shortcomings, enjoy the features.