Buyers remorse? Do I need the retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Ray-, Oct 12, 2012.

1. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

I'm expecting my retina in the mail tomorrow but I'm having some remorse. Should I have gone with the standard 15 inch.

I currently have an air 13 inch 2011 and love its portability and the way it feels over all and after using it I can't go back to a non ssd .. Ever.. I decided to make this purchase as my wife needed a computer for school.

I am a freelance web designer and graphic designer. My air handles photoshop fine, but I needed more real estate on the screen.. And I factored upgrade cost to make the mbp meet the rmbp with an ssd and it was more expensive.. I figured what the hell. But now I think I should have gone with the base line 15 inch.

What you think

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

You'll wonder why you ever wasted time with a non-Retina computer before! :)

3. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

To me, the classic looks thick and old by comparison, and will probably be discontinued in the next year. I would have remorse if I bought it. In situations where you need more screen real estate, you can crank up the effective resolution of the retina to that which you would get for a 30"+ display (2880x1800). Granted, stuff on the screen will be minuscule, but you get the point.

4. barbz41086 macrumors member

I dont know why people have regrets about this.

Unless you don't have the coin.

its a very good machine.

If you get one thats not perfect, you take it back until you get one that is. Then you simply just enjoy it for the next 3-4 years.

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The non-retina systems are a better deal if you consider that you can buy non-Apple parts and do the upgrades yourself (and if they're too costly today, the prices drop week to week). The size, space, and weight savings on the Retina aren't that major compared to the standard Pro, either, and it seems to me that they come as a result of the removal of the optical storage. Those are the negatives that put me off to the retina MBPs.

However, you're a graphic designer, and I am not. I would imagine that the retina display will make a difference for your work, and hence you can justify it. If you feel that the retina display isn't that great, then by all means return it and switch to a standard Macbook Pro. Or, if your work style is amenable to it, get another Air and a large second display to meet your screen real estate needs.

My guess is that you'll really enjoy the retina MBP once you start using it, though :)

6. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

I've read alot about people doing that here?? Why? I heard lg fixed there issues and Samsung was having just as many

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

Why would you get the RMBP if you're a freelance designer. You do realize photoshop isn't retina optimized at all right? And since you're complaining about the airs lack of screen real estate I guess you don't use an external monitor? You're screwed.

8. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

C'mon, I wouldn't even think about it. The 15-inch MacBook Pro has a 1440x900 resolution, which is too low for the size of the screen. The retina display is sooo much better...

In addition, you shouldn't even consider HDs. They have been the bottleneck of every system for a long time.

This combination (retina display + SSD) absolutely kills the non-retina model. In addition, the retina MacBook Pro is still lighter and thinner. For me, it's a non-brainer.

9. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

It is a no brainer to get the rMBP. It is an amazing machine.

10. Michason macrumors newbie

The retina display isn't just for designers and photographers. I'm neither of the mentioned and the screen never ceases to amaze me.

As for the compatibility issues, it will get updated over time.

You wouldn't regret buying the RMBP over the classic, the only downside is that it cannot be upgraded.

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

RMBP and MBA are the best in its class. No regrets here.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If it's for business use, especially if you are ultimately seeking an employer that demands an employee know or have the latest tools, then you do want to keep up with the competition as best as possible. You can't get ahead using years-old gear after a certain point. It's not possible.

The Retina is cute, but bandwidth and other considerations made me think "the real world isn't ready". And I say "real world" because it is moving toward web-based everything. Anyone taking the time to think of the impact that larger, more dense images (amongst other things) is going to have... iPad books and apps that were 300MB on the previous version go up to over 700MB on the Retina version. That should speak volumes, once you factor in the potential ubiquity of those higher resolutions... the bandwidth, particularly affordable bandwidth for us working class peons, is not there yet. And might not ever be.

In order of each paragraph:

Individual people have individual reasons.

Play Skyrim or live in the 16th century much, do we? :D

If it's a very good machine, then nobody should have to take it back, get another, and repeat that dreary and gas-wasting process until one that's properly built is obtained to "enjoy". Such a process lowers the ability TO enjoy as well.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

It's for everyone except designers and photographers. Not having current Adobe support is a huge issue and Adobe are not known for their speedy support. Most likely they will offer it in CS6.5 or 6.1 or even CS7. Who knows? I am waiting until all my apps actual decide to support it. Maybe something else comes out by this time maybe not. I can't afford a half baked implementation. Yes I know that eventually everyone will get on board but by this time we will have 1TB SSD options and faster everything else 32GB Memory, Haswell, better battery life, rev 2 IPS screens, faster GPU with 2GB VRAM (much needed). This rMBP feels like it is another iPad 1.0 for my purposes.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Buyers remorse, I bought a car, just a Honda, but a I could as easily take the train or local bus... do I need a car?

Uh no, I dont need a car, its just a luxury that is convenient and nice to have. Enjoy the damn rMBP, its an amazing laptop.

15. -Ray-, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

-Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

To those who stated that I should wait. I needed another computer ASAP.. This computer will be my main machine for the next 2-3 years.

Also where do apple products ship from? I was just wondering cause I still haven't got my item. I bought it through an authorized retailer but was curious to know if it was shipped by apple

16. SpitUK macrumors 6502

I was like you Ray, but I got the Retina, it is AMAZING. You will not regret doing it. Its great as you feel like you have the portability of the Air but just tons of power behind you now.

17. Username Here macrumors member

I went to Best Buy this morning to buy the rMBP but left without it...The load speeds and the screen were awesome..But it lacked the Ethernet port I need, and an optical drive (i dont really need, but want)..and the rest of the ports..I dont want to buy adapters after spending two grand...But I still have my rIPAD..!! :D

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

They ship from china, just like about 99% of everything mass produced.

19. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

20. klover macrumors 6502a

I debated the Retina for a long time. A month of rationalizations finally broke me. I wish I hadn't waited so long; the screen, speed, and graphics power is simply perfect. It's my perfect laptop.

I will stay with me a long time.

21. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Incorrect:

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/new-macbook-pro-retina-display-support/
    Also, Adobe CS6 is pixel identical between a 2012 rMBP and cMBP. If you are going to buy a MBP, not choosing a rMBP because of non-retina updated apps is idiotic, they display as "well" as on a cMBP.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Enjoy the computer - The cost of the non retina (when you factor in SSDs and what not) bring the price closer to the retina.

I love my retina and have no regrets even tough I don't "need" the retina display - it is gorgeous.

23. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

What do i think?

I think you need to make your own decisions rather than basing them on what the macrumors crowd think.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nothing wrong with soliciting opinions from others, in fact its usually helps produce a more rounded and informed decision.

25. stevelam macrumors 65816

saying 'pixel identical' is ridiculous when it really doesn't make it any more usable. have you actually used cs6 on a RMBP? illustrator? photoshop? all of it looks horrible unless you go 2880 native, where everything then becomes way too small to use anyway.