Buying 13" mbp, a couple questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macamp, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Macamp macrumors newbie

So after a lot of thinking and reading I have decided I will buy a 13" mbp to take with me to college this fall. I just wanted to make sure I have everything straight before I invest my money.

I am going 2.4 processor because I read the upgrade is not worth the money. Correct?

It comes with 250 gb hd. I was thinking about getting the 320 gb hd. Should I do the upgrade when i buy the mbp, or should I replace it myself?

I am going to get 4 gb of ram. If I find I would like more I will upgrade later. Will it be cheaper to buy ram from other dealers?

I can also purchase the AppleCare off ebay for cheaper right?

Is there anything else I might need?

Thank you in advance!

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Yes the upgraded model is not worth it
    Yes you should upgrade yourself (250GB + 320GB > 320GB for the same costs)
    Yes you should buy any memory upgrades from a third party as well (8GB - (~$80 for selling old 4GB) costs < 8GB Apple upgrade)

Just curious though why upgrade from a 250GB to a 320GB HDD? Are 70GBs going to make the difference between holding all of your files or not? If you upgrade, why not get a 500GB or larger OR SSD?

3. Macamp thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I think about it, upgrading to 320gb doesn't make sense. I will hold off and wait until ssd drives come down in price.

And is it fine to get the AppleCare off ebay?

4. Beefy macrumors member

Generally if it's from a reputable seller, yes. That's what I'm going to do and what a friend of mine did as well.

You're going to love the MBP 13"! :D

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I never knew how cheap these ebay applecare plans were until I looked it up

heard horror stories but are these legit?

these sellers have about 100% reputation

just wondering

6. deus ex machina macrumors regular

From what I understand, the code could be accepted but might be denied later if it is illegitimate. By then, it is too late to change the positive rep. I am anxious to hear if someone on this site had a good result and from which dealer. The best deal would be to get a boxed version.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have used a ebayer for 3 years now without a problem, i will look up his name when i get home.

his apple cares are awesome and have never failed me.

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

I just looked it up on ebay, and I gotta say, Apple Care for that much is.. crazy! Would you mind sharing this ebayer you speak of? And if you got it in the mail, or via email?

:)

9. psxguru macrumors 6502a

If you're getting your macbook with edu discount then the applecare should be much cheaper? At least that's the case in the UK for students.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AppleCare-Warran...ltDomain_0&hash=item1c13c8f178#ht_1134wt_1139

user : geng789tradings

great user, has 100% and i have 6 applecares from him....all have been valid thus far (some have been in repair).

he delivers code from email.

11. chrisvee macrumors regular

12. Macamp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is cheaper then the normal price, But I am trying to save all the money I can because I am paying for the laptop myself.

13. Macamp thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I will order it later today. Anything else y'all can think of that a college student would want/need?

I am getting the "free" printer. My school provides Microsoft Office.

I plan to buy a sleeve or case of some kind. I assume I can get one cheaper off amazon or ebay compared to Apples website.

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if you need office 2008 , www.macsales.com has it on for 119 + 20mir brings it to 99

good deal, if you need a hardshell crystal case i have a ebay member who sells them for 17$ shipped....there great cases too!

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Microcenter still has the 13" MBP for $999 if you have one near you.

16. pinsrw macrumors regular

As already mentioned Microcenter has a $999 deal. I would add that you might be able to get Bestbuy to price match...

Also... MS Office's new interface is widely disliked. You can get OpenOffice for free and many say it's better.

17. Audrey313 macrumors member

Which user is it? I started a thread a few days back asking for reviews of eBay cases and the corresponding seller. I would appreciate the info!

18. Dgpsx7 macrumors member

Instead of upgrading your hard drive why don't you get an external hard drive? You can get a 1tb for about $100 or a 500gb for $70 or less. or just wait for ssds to become cheaper.

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

What ever free printer you get, DO NOT get the HP Photosmart C4780. It's wireless feature doesn't work. HP Support says its a known issue.

20. ihonda macrumors 68000

dont go posting false reports, i got that printer 2 days ago and its worked great so far, just takes a little bit of hassle to install but the HP forums are helpful.

ive printed at least 50 pages over wireless, documents and photos.

21. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

It isn't false. It was my experience and what the customer service rep said. I have made videos to prove it to the Reps and they are on YouTube. Needless to say, the Rep told me to keep the printer, and he gave me $139.00 HP Store credit. So I bought the HP Photosmart Plus B209a, and it came this morning. Its set up and working. I took apart my C4780, and removed the wireless card. It works now. the Rep also did say that the wireless card and the printer freexing and not booting past the HP screen is related. I'm just saying stay away from this printer, and pay $19 more for a kick ass Photosmart B209a

22. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

if you're going to buy applecare i would get the box for it.
    just check the buyer's feedback, if they're not legit then previous buyers will give warning.

i've boughten 2 applecares from e-Bay so far,
    and the one for my 17" Macbook pro got me through like 5 repairs and eventually got me a replacement laptop.
    (and is still going.. just not on my current laptop.)

23. Macamp thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you remember the seller who your got it from?