Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Where are the movies stored? My ATV is only the 32gig one.. so surely it can't store these movies. Are they just accessible via streaming after purchase? Cheers!

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Where are the movies stored? My ATV is only the 32gig one.. so surely it can't store these movies. Are they just accessible via streaming after purchase? Cheers!
Yes they are streaming only. There's no way to download 4K HDR versions so no need to worry about running out of space.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I understand the limitation and I am sure it would just create more confusion but it would be nice if you could download the HDR 1080 version so you could at least have that.
I think the iPhone X allows that.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
streaming only. You do not actually own the movie, which is the main reason you cannot download them. You are "buying" the right to stream the movie as long as it is offered.

starkmj

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
True. And that offer can, and has been, revoked.
But, you can download the 1080P version, and then can always play from your hard drive, even if movie has been "revoked" You just wouldn't be able to stream the 4K version if it's taken down from the store.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
But, you can download the 1080P version, and then can always play from your hard drive, even if movie has been "revoked" You just wouldn't be able to stream the 4K version if it's taken down from the store.
Correct. It's just unfortunate as people use streaming services so they don't have to store movies. And then you'd lose your 4k version as well.
This doesn't affect me. I'm just saying for those who do purchase itunes media. I rip and store my own media.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I now have a little over 600 movies in my iTunes library (got a nice bump thanks to Movies Anywhere transferring my Ultraviolet digital copies from Vudu ;)). How many movies have ever been removed from my library? Zero.

Having a lot of local storage is nice for many reasons (I run a NAS myself), but just the tiny risk of your purchased movies being "stolen" by the big bad studios is certainly not worth spending hundreds of dollars on multi-terabyte storage hardware.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Having a lot of local storage is nice for many reasons (I run a NAS myself), but just the tiny risk of your purchased movies being "stolen" by the big bad studios is certainly not worth spending hundreds of dollars on multi-terabyte storage hardware.
It is when you want HD audio. And you share your collection via plex to friends and family.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
It is when you want HD audio. And you share your collection via plex to friends and family.
I'd argue iTunes or Google Play family sharing is more convenient (not to mention that sharing ripped video files over the Internet is probably very questionable from a legal perspective).

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I'd argue iTunes or Google Play family sharing is more convenient (not to mention that sharing ripped video files over the Internet is probably very questionable from a legal perspective).
If it wasn't legal I would imagine plex couldn't do it. Either way I don't care. And I can't retain HD audio when using itunes. I could family share a movie collection from vudu but then lose the HD audio. And they don't have all movies from all studios.
Either way, they are no more convenient than plex. Load the app and hit play. It's the same across all of them.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
It's not Plex doing it. *You* are running a streaming and download server full of ripped video files.
Yes, but plex software specifically allows for and supports the remote streaming of these files to friends and family. Complete with cover art and synopsis.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes, but plex software specifically allows for and supports the remote streaming of these files to friends and family. Complete with cover art and synopsis.
"You illegally distributed copyrighted material over the Internet". "But it had such nice cover art". "OK, then it's fine." Geez. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck to you and your friends.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Decent argues from both of you guys (Archer & Rigby). Firstly, Mr Archer, I believe that you are a lucky one in that you are able to buy discs over in the USA. Out of interest, I checked our UK Amazon today and a lot of the new titles of films that I like (NOT Hollywood Blockbuster cr**) is only offered on DVD not BluRay let alone 4K BluRay. So I guess the USA will always have more on offer because of the huge television viewing habits in the that country which personally, I really frown upon. Makes sense, why sell loads of discs to a country if the majority spent their free time outdoors etc :) So for me it's HD/4K stream/download OR a crappy DVD at 25p that is speeded up by 4% - seriously! No thanks.
Rigby - please don't speak too soon about loosing films from iTunes - look what happened to me AND Apple never refunded my money Personally, I call that stealing but to mr, it's what I expect from these corporations. Now, I buy a film if it's on offer - if not, then, I'm quite happy to live without it. I do back up my films but I only have about 40-50 at the most :)
Certainly, I feel both streaming & bluRay compliment each other well - Stream a rental and buy the disc if you love it and want the HD audio BUT I was thinking today, how crazy that there are currently THREE disc formats - I can't see three surviving! (Got to say in London yesterday, I didn't really notice any disc based systems in Harrods & Selfridges).
[doublepost=1513896051][/doublepost]
"You illegally distributed copyrighted material over the Internet". "But it had such nice cover art". "OK, then it's fine." Geez. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck to you and your friends.
In all fairness, I guess Mr Archer had the decency to buy the disc originally. I'm sure that he's far more honest than these film companies along with Apple were simply the bottom dollar is the only thing that 'truly' matters to them no matter how hard they fake their smiles on stage while thinking of their bonuses!
Yesterday I was buying an Apple TV for a best friend and I got the worst service ever in the Apple Store that I walked out and do you know what I did Mr Rigby? I handed £20 notes to 10 honest homeless people that I saw all over the city - some guys were in their 60s!!! And I tell you one thing, that experience, chatting to them, shaking their hands, looking into their clean eyes meant a hell of a lot to me, than the money grabbing experience that I felt in the Covent Garden Apple Store!!!
The Apple experience that I received made me feel what a greedy company I was dealing with. That's twice in the past two months and that's not good enough, sadly!

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I will not purchase a 4k movie on itunes if the the disk set contains a digital copy.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Yup. I make sure to download the 1080p copy of every iTunes movie I get to my computer's iTunes library as a backup. One big thing about this is that if the computer is "Authorized" in iTunes, it will play the videos forevermore without an internet connection. So even if something unthinkable happens and Apple goes under tomorrow, all servers turned off immediately, I'll still be able to play the movies on all the devices that are currently Authorized. (Heck, I even have a first-generation AppleTV - the one that you have to sync copies of media to its local hard drive - with all my iTunes purchases loaded on it.)

But, there are a few purchased TV shows / movies that are no longer in the iTunes Store - yet my AppleTV 4K still shows them and streams them. For example, the Disney shorts "Brave Little Tailor," "Ferdinand the Bull," and "The Old Mill," and the TV shows "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" and "The Guild". (Those are just the ones I have run in to being missing from the store recently, I'm sure there are more. But they are all still in my "Purchased" on my AppleTV and stream just fine.)

Reactions: CoronaOrange

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
In all fairness, I guess Mr Archer had the decency to buy the disc originally. I'm sure that he's far more honest than these film companies along with Apple were simply the bottom dollar is the only thing that 'truly' matters to them no matter how hard they fake their smiles on stage while thinking of their bonuses!
Honestly, I'm sick and tired of these justifications. I know people who work in the film industry. They work hard for their money and they are not millionaires. These are the people whose livelihoods are threatened by large-scale IP theft.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I buy the discs. Sharing that disc with friends and family is not illegal. Redeeming the code and adding up to 5 friends and family to my vudu account to share isn't illegal. You mentioned sharing via other services, itunes and google play. Is there a difference when I buy the disc and share via plex with 5 friends and family? Same diff.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I buy the discs. Sharing that disc with friends and family is not illegal.
You are not sharing the disc. You are making a copy and distributing that to others.
Redeeming the code and adding up to 5 friends and family to my vudu account to share isn't illegal. You mentioned sharing via other services, itunes and google play. Is there a difference when I buy the disc and share via plex with 5 friends and family? Same diff.
The difference is that Vudu, Apple and Google have licenses for family sharing and pay the content owners accordingly. You don't. They are limited to a certain number of people. Your rips are not. Also, can you guarantee that your friends aren't downloading the movies from your Plex server and then turning around and sharing them with their friends?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
You are not sharing the disc. You are making a copy and distributing that to others.
Same diff. They stream it but I retain the copy.
The difference is that Vudu, Apple and Google have licenses for family sharing and pay the content owners accordingly.
Do they pay? I haven't paid vudu or google or apple for any movies at all. I just redeemed the code from the disc. Would they pay licensing for sharing when I haven't paid them? I doubt it. It's not profitable. If that were the case they would restrict sharing to content purchased directly from them.
Also, can you guarantee that your friends aren't downloading the movies from your Plex server and then turning around and sharing them with their friends?
Yes. I'm pretty sure my mom and sister wouldn't know how.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I can't believe what I'm reading here. How in the world can anyone seriously believe that ripping a disc and then putting the file on an Internet server for others to download is even remotely legal? This is really sad.

Reactions: dman67

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I can't believe what I'm reading here. How in the world can anyone seriously believe that ripping a disc and then putting the file on an Internet server for others to download is even remotely legal? This is really sad.
Oh I don't care if it's legal. And they aren't downloading. And it's not shared to the planet. Just a handful of people streaming. My mom just wants to watch an occasional movie! Leave her alone!

Last edited:

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
But, there are a few purchased TV shows / movies that are no longer in the iTunes Store - yet my AppleTV 4K still shows them and streams them. For example, the Disney shorts "Brave Little Tailor," "Ferdinand the Bull," and "The Old Mill," and the TV shows "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" and "The Guild". (Those are just the ones I have run in to being missing from the store recently, I'm sure there are more. But they are all still in my "Purchased" on my AppleTV and stream just fine.)

Yeah I’ve noticed this myself with Constantine as it’s no longer available to buy but still shows in my purchases, the only issue being is that for some reason it doesn’t track the episodes in the TV App.
Well it sort of does but on selecting to play the next episode it tries to open in Prime Video which I’m not subscribed to so have to go directly to my Purchased library but doesn’t show which episodes I’ve watched. (However it does on my phone & ATV3)

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Honestly, I'm sick and tired of these justifications. I know people who work in the film industry. They work hard for their money and they are not millionaires. These are the people whose livelihoods are threatened by large-scale IP theft.

There is no empirical evidence piracy harms revenues, the figures the industry flings about are plucked out of thin air. On average, people that copy media also spend more money buying than those that don’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.