Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
There is no empirical evidence piracy harms revenues, the figures the industry flings about are plucked out of thin air. On average, people that copy media also spend more money buying than those that don’t.

Depends on how you look at it I suppose, from their point of view if one film is purchased but then copied and distributed to a further 10 people then that’s 10 potential sales of lost revenue.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Depends on how you look at it I suppose, from their point of view if one film is purchased but then copied and distributed to a further 10 people then that’s 10 potential sales of lost revenue.

Yep, and that’s a huge and unsubstantiated leap to make.

Reactions: niteflyr

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
streaming only. You do not actually own the movie, which is the main reason you cannot download them. You are "buying" the right to stream the movie as long as it is offered.

If that's the case... why not just "rent" the movie when you want to watch it? That way you're not tying up money in something that might disappear some time in the future.

Let's say it costs $6 to rent or $20 to buy.

But you'd be upset if you paid the $20 to "own" the movie but the studio decided to take it away.

You could rent the movie up to 3 times and it would still be cheaper than the "purchase" price. And you wouldn't have to worry about your purchased movie being taken away.

I guess if you absolutely must watch the same movie 4 times or more... and you're worried about it disappearing... you'd be better off with a 4K Blu-Ray disc.

This is honestly the first time I've heard of purchases being taken away. Then what the hell are you "buying" anyway?

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
There is no empirical evidence piracy harms revenues
There is plenty of evidence. See e.g. here for a recent independent study.
the figures the industry flings about are plucked out of thin air.
And that claim is based on what?
On average, people that copy media also spend more money buying than those that don’t.
And what exactly is that supposed to prove? It's not like they spend more because they pirate. Are the content makers supposed to be happy because these people only steal part of their product rather than all of it?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
There is plenty of evidence. See e.g. here for a recent independent study.

They surveyed people on how many movies they viewed and how they viewed them, and from that extrapolated lost sales. There is no way any sane person who didn’t have a vested interest would make that imaginary connection.

And that claim is based on what?

I don’t need to make a case. If somebody is attempting to present absurd statistics it’s up to them to prove it, not for me to disprove. Just like any normal, logical presentation of evidence.

And what exactly is that supposed to prove? It's not like they spend more because they pirate.

Actually.... that’s exactly what it means.

https://torrentfreak.com/0-more-on-content-than-honest-consumers-130510/
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/riaa_pirates_spend_more_on_music.html

Are the content makers supposed to be happy because these people only steal part of their product rather than all of it?

It really doesn’t matter how much the studios bleat, piracy is here and it’s not going away. Instead of playing unwinnable whack-a-mole the studios should stop implementing policies and prices that harm consumers. My heart bleeds for them. /s

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If that's the case... why not just "rent" the movie when you want to watch it? That way you're not tying up money in something that might disappear some time in the future.

Let's say it costs $6 to rent or $20 to buy.

But you'd be upset if you paid the $20 to "own" the movie but the studio decided to take it away.

You could rent the movie up to 3 times and it would still be cheaper than the "purchase" price. And you wouldn't have to worry about your purchased movie being taken away.

I guess if you absolutely must watch the same movie 4 times or more... and you're worried about it disappearing... you'd be better off with a 4K Blu-Ray disc.

This is honestly the first time I've heard of purchases being taken away. Then what the hell are you "buying" anyway?

You are literally purchasing the right to steam the movie as long as it is offered. It has not been an issue with movies, but from a music standpoint songs come and go all of the time (Apple music and Amazon Music). The good news for movies is that movies anywhere came along. Previously if a company like ultraviolent went under, all of your movies would be lost.

Like you said, I think you should either rent movies or buy the disc. Buying the digital only doesn't make sense to me, especially since it is the same cost in a lot of instances.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
They surveyed people on how many movies they viewed and how they viewed them, and from that extrapolated lost sales. There is no way any sane person who didn’t have a vested interest would make that imaginary connection.
Which study exactly are you referring to? I have seen several, and none of them came to the result that piracy doesn't result in revenue loss.
I don’t need to make a case.
In fact, you shouldn't even attempt to make a case justifying IP theft.
You'd need to show causality to make the point you are trying to make. Do pirates buy more movies because they are pirates, or are people who have high interest in movies more likely to pirate movies? But if in doubt, the thieves are the good guys, right?

And "torrentfreak"? Really?
It really doesn’t matter how much the studios bleat, piracy is here and it’s not going away. Instead of playing unwinnable whack-a-mole the studios should stop implementing policies and prices that harm consumers.
Like what? Having the audacity of wanting to be paid for their work? It's really simple: If you think the price for a movie is too high, don't watch it. There is no "harm", and you don't get to set prices for content that others produce.

Last edited:

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Great points Steve and Rigby BUT come on this is a whole new generation and world. Rigby, I really like you but, there' not many like you left.
Hollywood is a repulsive, greedy multi billion dollar business that needs to wake up to 2018 (from next week).
Let's get one thing clear, nobody is poor in this industry when actors and actresses can earn £10,000,000 a film. They are not curing cancer for goodness sake! This is an arrogant, dictating, last century movement.
Hollywood has done very well with the older generation milking them in VHS, Betamax, V2000, LaserDisc, Hi8, DVD, BluRay, 4K BluRay (remember those we'll be saying in 2020) and streaming. The kids of today - THE internet generation born and bred aren't falling for this. They are wise. And this is why iTunes needs to do what Steve Jobs did with iTunes and the 99cent download.
The market is truly obese with films from Hollywood flooding the system and guess what - there's very few that are great. £5.49 to rent a film on iTunes? NO WAY!!! That's pure greed and that's coming from me, one of the greatest advocates of iTunes.
If Apple and Amazon and whoever could sell new releases for £4.99 then maybe, more people would buy but my gosh, with the worlds trends, people being poorer, overcrowding, people wanting everything now, there's no way that the buying business model can survive. It's an outdated concept, just like capitalism and everything else from the last century.
People are a lot better informed today and they seem to be seeing the rules in todays' internet age! The world is truly evolving more than ever, don't get left behind!

Out of interest, Apple stole from me when they deleted one of my films. And guess what. They couldn't care less because it was over 90 days old! I even Emailed Tim Cook and Phil the marketing man and guess what? They couldn't be bothered to reply.
So Rigby in this case, please don't look on any one pirating badly, as Apple was the biggest thief in this case, whilst they count their trillion dollar business!

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hollywood is a repulsive, greedy multi billion dollar business that needs to wake up to 2018 (from next week).
Let's get one thing clear, nobody is poor in this industry when actors and actresses can earn £10,000,000 a film. They are not curing cancer for goodness sake! This is an arrogant, dictating, last century movement.
Have you ever watched movie credits to the end? Long after the stars have scrolled by, hundreds or thousands more names keep coming of people who have worked hard to make the movie. The vast majority of them are not rich by any means.

The problem is not the "greedy industry". The problem is that a large part of the population seems to have lost all sense of wrongdoing; somehow, stealing seems to be OK for these people if it's other people's intellectual property. And while they are ripping off those who make all these great movies, they have the gall to call themselves movie fans.
Hollywood has done very well with the older generation milking them in VHS, Betamax, V2000, LaserDisc, Hi8, DVD, BluRay, 4K BluRay (remember those we'll be saying in 2020) and streaming.
Yeah that must be it. They didn't introduce 4K streaming in the 1980s right away just because there wanted to "milk" people. Technical development had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:
The kids of today - THE internet generation born and bred aren't falling for this.
Nobody "fell" for anything. The industry made products that people wanted to buy.
£5.49 to rent a film on iTunes? NO WAY!!! That's pure greed and that's coming from me, one of the greatest advocates of iTunes.
The solution is simple: if you think the price isn't justified, don't rent it. Nobody is forcing you. What is it about movies that everyone thinks they are entitled to tell others at what price they can sell their product?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
But, there are a few purchased TV shows / movies that are no longer in the iTunes Store - yet my AppleTV 4K still shows them and streams them. For example, the Disney shorts "Brave Little Tailor," "Ferdinand the Bull," and "The Old Mill," and the TV shows "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" and "The Guild". (Those are just the ones I have run in to being missing from the store recently, I'm sure there are more. But they are all still in my "Purchased" on my AppleTV and stream just fine.)

That’s good to know. Anyone can confirm this?
Also, when a movie goes 4K on iTunes, can they get reverted back to HD? Any evidence of this?
And how fast 4K collection on iTunes growing?

Btw, I’m sick & tired of this Plex vs. iTunes, legal vs illegal (piracy) arguments going on in MR. Buying movies on iTunes is attractive for many people. There are discounts going on throughout a year for example. And the experience of buying, watching & quality is amazing. I’m interested in starting my collection on iTunes even though I’m also using Plex at the moment so please stop with this. There’re many threads that’s relevant to its discussion just left this thread for people who’s interested in buying movies on iTunes alone so we can have useful informations without a need to screen through irrelevant posts, OK?

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Great points Steve and Rigby BUT come on this is a whole new generation and world. Rigby, I really like you but, there' not many like you left.
Hollywood has done very well with the older generation milking them in VHS, Betamax, V2000, LaserDisc, Hi8, DVD, BluRay, 4K BluRay (remember those we'll be saying in 2020) and streaming. The kids of today - THE internet generation born and bred aren't falling for this. They are wise. And this is why iTunes needs to do what Steve Jobs did with iTunes and the 99cent download.
The market is truly obese with films from Hollywood flooding the system and guess what - there's very few that are great. £5.49 to rent a film on iTunes? NO WAY!!! That's pure greed and that's coming from me, one of the greatest advocates of iTunes.
If Apple and Amazon and whoever could sell new releases for £4.99 then maybe, more people would buy but my gosh, with the worlds trends, people being poorer, overcrowding, people wanting everything now, there's no way that the buying business model can survive. It's an outdated concept, just like capitalism and everything else from the last century.
People are a lot better informed today and they seem to be seeing the rules in todays' internet age! The world is truly evolving more than ever, don't get left behind!

Out of interest, Apple stole from me when they deleted one of my films. And guess what. They couldn't care less because it was over 90 days old! I even Emailed Tim Cook and Phil the marketing man and guess what? They couldn't be bothered to reply.
So Rigby in this case, please don't look on any one pirating badly, as Apple was the biggest thief in this case, whilst they count their trillion dollar business!

out of curiosity, what film was removed? Also, if you read the fine print you never owned the film.

QUINTISON

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
Problem is you can buy a 4k bd but are given a 1080p code so if you want the 4k digital you're better off just buying it on iTunes and if you're movies are hd but bought at iTunes they'll get free 4k upgrades but your vudu library imported into iTunes won't be upgraded you'll have to rebuy the 4k yourself!!

mlabonte21

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2015
Problem is you can buy a 4k bd but are given a 1080p code so if you want the 4k digital you're better off just buying it on iTunes and if you're movies are hd but bought at iTunes they'll get free 4k upgrades but your vudu library imported into iTunes won't be upgraded you'll have to rebuy the 4k yourself!!

Is Vudu upgrading those purchased HD titles to 4K for free? Why should Apple provide an upgrade to a movie it had no participation in the purchase/redemption of?

I'll never understand people chewing out Apple about that. I'm just thankful my few VUDU purchases can now show up in iTunes at all via MA.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I haven't yet seen any of my "purchased" iTunes movies disappear. Even ones that are no longer for sale on the iTunes Store can still be downloaded in iTunes, or streamed on my AppleTV. Both movies and TV shows. "Removed from the Store" does not mean "Removed from the ability to stream."

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
There is no empirical evidence piracy harms revenues, the figures the industry flings about are plucked out of thin air. On average, people that copy media also spend more money buying than those that don’t.

it's had a huge effect and so has the rise of streaming. In the UK 1,000's of people have lost their jobs over the last 10 years due to all these changes. I'm not sure how much is piracy v streaming but either way the shift in consumer buying habits has changed massively for the film industry.

Also the people above who say the industry is flush with cash and its okay to pirate films.. you do know thats theft right? do you not pay for groceries, clothes, gas etc? its the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.