Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsxr1000

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
North Carolina
Waiting to pull the trigger on a silver 7 plus....Seeing problems with the matte black chipping and now some people are saying the Jet black also doing same have kinda turned me away from those....While waiting on a silver to pop up on swappa to buy a couple of reds have popped up on there and have really thought about getting one but going through same anodizing process as the matte black I'm now worried about the red chipping. And paying almost a grand for a red I don't really need that problem......lol. What's everyone's opinion on the chipping gate issue.

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
I think u already came across the problem of chipping on the blacks and most likely the red option. U already now the possibility of it chipping is a problem for some.

My matte has no problem chipping but I use a case and just put on a dbrand skin

Reactions: gsxr1000

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Waiting to pull the trigger on a silver 7 plus....Seeing problems with the matte black chipping and now some people are saying the Jet black also doing same have kinda turned me away from those....While waiting on a silver to pop up on swappa to buy a couple of reds have popped up on there and have really thought about getting one but going through same anodizing process as the matte black I'm now worried about the red chipping. And paying almost a grand for a red I don't really need that problem......lol. What's everyone's opinion on the chipping gate issue.

In all likeliness, the chipping/flaking is from a batch of the aluminum not being fully cured to the appropriate temperature, which isn't widespread across the Matte black iPhone line, it did affect some batches. I never heard of the Jet Black chipping.

Personally, I wouldn't be Concerned with the chipping issue with the Product Red, because there have been zero reports of the Red chipping, being it was just released on Friday.

Here are two threads discussing more on the issue:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2017/02/10/matte-black-iphone-7-chipping/amp/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-plus-aluminium-chipping.1930678/

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The new batches have likely already addressed the problem. I've got one chip on the bottom by my charging port but it's definitely my fault. A case didn't fit right and while taking it off, I did the damage. There are a few microscratches but those were warned by Apple.

Overall, I think the silver is very safe in terms of the anodized aluminum and potential scratching/flaking. If you're getting the red, there isn't enough data yet but I would bet it's just fine!

Reactions: Sunny1990

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Chipping has been a problem since the black/slate iPhone 5. Remember Scuffgate?

If you're waiting for Apple to fix it you're in for a very long wait.
[doublepost=1490557712][/doublepost]
Silver is the next best color option
Because it hides chipping better? ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Silver is my 1st choice of all red 2nd. Just not enough reds out yet to determine if there s chipping problem.

I like the classic look of the silver iPhone. I do like the look of the Red iPhone as well. I Think if any reports did surface of the iPhone Red chipping, it wouldn't be until later after a large majority of the units are selling. But overall, in my opinion, I feel your chances of dealing with the chipping concern are highly improbable.

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016

Silver is anodized too. The chipping thing is blown out of proportion, and is far more likely to be the result of people dropping their phones, then *gasp* LYING about it to get a replacement, or sympathy on MR.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
The new batches have likely already addressed the problem. I've got one chip on the bottom by my charging port but it's definitely my fault. A case didn't fit right and while taking it off, I did the damage. There are a few microscratches but those were warned by Apple.

Overall, I think the silver is very safe in terms of the anodized aluminum and potential scratching/flaking. If you're getting the red, there isn't enough data yet but I would bet it's just fine!
Can you please post picture of the damage !!

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Parroting what everyone else has said, get the phone you want and stop worrying about it. My fiancé and I got matte black and rose gold 7's today. We got Otterboxes right away, but my fiancé is paranoid about shattering his phone. Personally I had my previous iPhone 5 silver for four years. I panicked about scratches at first, but I got over it. It happens. Aluminum is not scratch-proof. Every Apple device I've owned has gotten scratches. The stainless steel backs of iPod Classics were notorious for it. If you want your iPhone to be pristine, leave it in the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.