Buying a 13inch cMBP for college. Please help me decide?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nrodzz, Jul 22, 2013.

1. nrodzz macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm starting college again in mid August and I'd like to buy a 13" macbook pro. However, I've been following up on the Buyer's guide but I'm still not sure if I should buy the macbook pro now (basic model, it's at $999 with the student discount) or wait for Haswell (I think it's only the retinas that are getting a refresh?). I'm studying (Interactive) Advertising and my college uses iMacs in the "creative" class rooms (aka when we have to use Adobe programs among others). I've only been using Photoshop for now but, going into my 3rd year, I will have to use other programs depending on the classes. A big majority of the students who study something with graphic designing, film and others use macbook pros (there's a percentage of chance that they might not all be new but yeah, that's what upgrading is for, right?). It's not that I'm giving into "peer pressure" since I have been saving up for years. I just want to not regret my purchase. Although the retina may be beautiful, it doesn't convince me so that one is out (plus I sometimes use my disk drive because of my dad). I'm looking for portability so I don't think the 15inch is the way to go. Especially since my college's desks are like high school ones.

Sorry if this was a big paragraph but I really need help. Thank you!

2. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

Agreed. It was a big paragraph. Lol.

Anyways, My recommendation is to wait for the next iteration of processors (Haswell) to be released to the rMBP (or to buy a current MBA). As far as my knowledge goes, the MBP is on the chopping block and won't see any updates, it is a dead machine in terms of Apple's future.

Everything will also depend on your budget, since you have said that you have been saving for some time. Both MBA and rMPB (Haswell) will easily take on the task that you have described. Both will give you different options and you have to choose between extreme portability vs retina display. If you will be doing 3D renderings, I strongly suggest the i7 chip. And at any given time, getting 8GB is highly recommended even if you need to sacrifice processor or disk space if you are on a budget.

3. balintalovits macrumors newbie

Why would it be a dead machine?

4. jabbr macrumors newbie

Don't buy a notebook with a 1280x800 display in 2013. For school, and really everything else, you're going to need more real estate. That resolution was decent back in 2006.

5. luisito, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

luisito macrumors regular

luisito

I think (as stated) that we won't see any updates coming up for the MBP. When I say dead machine, I think of it in Apple terms (as stated), because it is an old design that doesn't have much practicability in relation to its siblings (rMBP and MBA).

And just in case, I never said that MBP doesn't work. Simply there is not much future, specially when taking great consideration at the OP's hard work to raise his/her money. I wouldn't recommend something that is growing old at a very fast pace.

I hope this answered your question. Technology grows pretty fast, specifically, by iterations of 1.5 years.

6. Stetrain, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

Stetrain macrumors 68040

I wouldn't reccomend the 13" MBP unless you really need a lot of built-in hard drive space or you absolutely need the built-in DVD drive.

The 13" Macbook Air has more battery life, a higher resolution screen, and will feel much faster because of the solid state storage.

You can get an external DVD drive if you only need to use it on occasion. You can also get an external USB 3 hard drive if you need to keep large amounts of videos or music.

The 13" retina MBP is also a nice machine but does cost a bit more and will most likely be updated soon. You can however get a pretty decent deal on one through Apple's own certified refurbished store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...z-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

The normal 13" MBP is heavier, has a fairly low resolution screen, and will feel slower because of the mechanical hard drive. For some people the positives outweigh negatives but for most people I think the Air would be a better choice.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Apple has released retina versions of the same macbook. If they are trying to promote these, why would they beef up their older counterparts as well?

Think of this: Retina iPad is introduced. iPad 2 is still on sale and they are still proud about it. But only one of those is still getting "refreshed" every year.

While I personally dont hope it is the end of the line for the cMBP, I wouldnt be surprised if it was.

8. balintalovits macrumors newbie

So what do you say? Will the 15" cMBP get the Haswell update, or the Ivy Bridge one's the last?

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The latter.

10. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

Ivy will be the last, no Haswell update for the cMBP.

EDIT: Someone had already answered.

11. balintalovits macrumors newbie

Its ok, but what will be in the gap between the AIR and the Retina?

12. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

In a nutshell:
    The rMBP has the retina, and graphics card (15"), great thermals.
    The MBA has super portability.

The rMBP is designed for the pro consumers. While the MBA is designed for the normal consumer, the MBA will and is replacing the MBP, that is the idea.

And both pretty much come with the same options, SSD, RAM, and Haswell processors (Assuming rMBPs get Haswell).

13. balintalovits macrumors newbie

Hmmm...

Than Im going to buy the Ivy Bridge cMBP, as the last model of the unibody series.

I hope you'r right :)

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

buy the cheapest 13" you can lay hands on, stuff happens especially in college. You don't need an uber computer get on that works with a warranty.

15. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

May I ask why you particularly do that? It makes no sense on my head.

16. balintalovits macrumors newbie

Bcuz I dislike the Retina model, and the reason why I've been keep on asking opinions about Haswell update on the cMBP, cuz I want to have the last non retina model.

17. magbarn macrumors 68000

Because unlike the MBA & rMBP 13 he can cheaply drop in 16gb of RAM, and when 512GB SSD's sell for $128 he'll be able to have a future proof machine when it comes to storage and ram. Technically, the ivy bridge supports 32gb of ram so even that may be available in the future. The HD5000 on the 2013 MBA is not much faster than the HD4000 as it's severely power constrained on the MBA implementation (No, 3DMARK doesn't count as that just stresses the GPU, real gaming benchmarks show <20% increase in performance, not the 50% Intel was promising)

18. balintalovits macrumors newbie

we were talking about the 15" but yes, thats why I choose the cMBP. More future proof!

19. scbond macrumors 6502

I think you may want to correct yourself there. Apple aren't stupid and aren't going to cease production of their best-selling Mac until something else takes over. While updates are unlikely for the machine, it'll certainly stay in production for the foreseeable future.

----------

Says who?! You'll probably find that Apple are trying to push the 13" rMBP as the replacement for the 13" cMBP.

20. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

We just bought a 13" rMBP, but looked at the MBA and cMBP's. The cMBP seemed to have a MUCH better display than the MBA, mostly with video (the same video playing on each). I was going to buy a cMBP tonight for all the reasons stated above, but didn't get the chance. With the price discount at Best Buy, it's certainly a steal. I have an external HD on a small netbook, and it's a pain in the neck. It offers 500GB for $45 on sale, but it's still a pain to have to drag it around.

21. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

since you do designing i guess the retina screen will do justice to you. the 13" will be portable due to it being thin and lighter. The only down side is if you need to use discs you will need an external and if space is an issue you either configure more bigger ssd or live with the external. These were my biggest deal breakers when i was choosing between cMbp and rMbp i eventually got the retina and love it every bit.
    So if budget allows do get the retina if not the 13inch cMbp is still good to go. I cant tell you about the air i have never used it. Its specs seem great however.

to help you.
    If you want upgradability then go for the cMbp
    If you want a high resolution, thin light weight laptop the retina
    If you want extreme portability the the macbook air

all of them will handle the softwares, heck my white unibody macbook can handle fcp and work on dv-pal the only difference comes when i export.

22. oldmacs macrumors 68040

oldmacs

I'm also a student and I bought a Classic Macbook Pro to upgrade from my old White Macbook :)

I love both the Retina Macbook Pro and Macbook Air but there were a few reasons why I choose the classic one-

-I need a lot of Hard drive Space. I've also upgraded to a 7200 RPM 750 GB drive which didn't cost much.
    -I like to upgrade the RAM (Because I plan on having this computer for at least 4 years)
    -I still use an Optical drive for some thing
    -I can put an SDD in later
    -At the time of purchase (September 2012) the Pro had better Processors than the Air.
    -Price. Sure the Macbook Air and Pro (13 Inch) are the same price but to get a 13 Inch air with 8 GB of Ram and 512 MB storage it costs AU $2000. For My Macbook Pro it cost me AU $1200 and I upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and the Harddrive to 750 GB for $170 which brings the total price to $1370.

Now there are more reasons to get an Air with Haswell and longer battery life though.

I've been hated on before for choosing this Mac but I am still very happy with it :)

23. lhkjohn macrumors newbie

Me too. Flip flopped for a couple of weeks on this decision. 750gb of storage, 8gb of ram, i7, and a dedicated disc drive were too much too pass up for basically the same price as a 256gb, i5, 4gb ram, 13 inch air. I feel like the cMBP also had the better display side by side.

24. nrodzz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking I should give Apple until August (at least 2-3 weeks before I start college) and see if they come out with anything new. Personally, Apple holding off the updates is quite critical in a way but hey! they've been in this industry for a long time so maybe they're doing it right? All I know is that if they do decide to put out new macbook pros after the BTS promo (or around October), they won't achieve many sales. But, that's my way of thinking.

I've looked at the Macbook Air but I rather have some things from the Pro than portability. Plus, I can always charge my laptop when I'm not using it in class or if I'm on a break so the 12 hour battery or whatever extra hours they new mbp will get don't really bother me. :)

25. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I don't really have an opinion on which computer you should buy, but I thought I would post this deal in case you hadn't seen it:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/18...macbooks-by-200-for-back-to-school-promotion/

So, basically, the Best Buy deal is $100 cheaper than Apple's education price. You just won't get the $100 App Store gift card. But that does mean you can get a MBP at $899 and upgrade later as needed.

I really don't have an opinion either way; although, if I were buying, I might go through Best Buy in this instance if that were the computer you wanted. The service and support will be through Apple no matter where you buy it. And always get AppleCare! You can get it any time in the first year. It's $183 for the cMBP through Apple Education. I've always found it worth it. You can mix and match and buy that through Apple later.