Buying a 2009 Mac Pro - CPU Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by handheldgames, Sep 11, 2009.

1. handheldgames macrumors 65816

handheldgames

I sold off my 2007 Mac Pro, and need to pull the trigger on a new 2009 single core box.

I see two choices I can go with.....

1) Buy the 2.66 Version($1999). Replace the CPU with a Core 'i7975 3.33 Ghz chip for around $800. - total Base cost - $2799.

2) Buy the 2.93 version($2399).

If I go with option 1. Is there ANY way, like the old BSEL mod on the 2008 MacPros where the multiplier or bus can be manipulated. It's an unlocked chip.

Thx!

2. AppleWorking macrumors regular

3. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 65816

handheldgames

It sounds like a tempting deal... But...

What I like about the i7 975 is that the CPU is fully unlocked and they are only $800 on ebay... If I can find a way to use the PINMOD trick ... To push change a multiplier or to push the bus speed, These CPU's were picked because they can be pushed to 4+Ghz on air cooling.....

I'm not sure what going with the Xeon label on this chip will get me beyond that of the i7...

4. frimple macrumors 6502

From what I've read you can't up the clock using a pin mod on the i7's. Sounds like a great way to not only brick your new processor but also have to order a new daughter board. And in the end was 667 mhz/core really worth it?

5. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 65816

handheldgames

Thats why i always ask and research first. :cool: the only processor I ever bricked was an old amd tbird with the ceramic tops. Have never lost one to overclocking. And the i7 975 is made to be pushed. Oh well.

The 3.3 seems to be the best route. Now just to consider if the Deon is that much better...

6. frimple macrumors 6502

I suppose the immediate appeal of the Xeon is that it supports ECC, and depending on how you feel today that may or may not matter.

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Another thing - I am kinda fuzzy on this, but replacing the CPU may or may not void Applecare. Unless there is no way for Apple to tell, in which case the original Xeon can be swapped back in for servicing. I mainly want a clarification on this (as I am budgeting at the moment). I'm in the same boat the OP is in.

8. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 65816

handheldgames

I guess.. In theory. It could void AppleCare. However, keeping the old CPU around and changing it out prior to service call is probably the best bet.

I hearthe 2.66 pulled from the macpro is worth around $250 so i guess it's worth holding on to in case some component fails.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Here in the UK it would only void the warranty if the issue you were seeking service over was was due to you changing the processor (the process or the new processor). Which seems unlikely from all the issues with Mac Pros I've read about. It probably differs in the US. However just because that is the law doesn't mean Apple wouldn't fight you on it whether through ignorance or because they are, well, Apple. If you can't get an official ruling from them directly on the issue then I'd assume if you have problems you may have an uphill battle to get them solved. Even more so if you did not retain the original processor.

10. frimple macrumors 6502

Bah! You and your reasonable consumer laws! :p

I would bet that you could sneak the new processor past some service calls anyways, or maybe they'd turn a blind eye if the tech realizes that it has nothing to do with the problem (super drive issues for example). As handheld mentioned you could keep the old processor around and swap it out when service time came, but that seems like such a ways of a quad core! I've got a couple of w5580's that I'm going to put in a Octad and I think the pulled out 2.26's are going to go into a server board and be promptly overclocked. You could do the same thing with the 2.66, maybe build a killer OC'd gaming rig with it. Though at that point you'd probably have to assess what you're even getting a Mac Pro for in the first place ;)

11. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 65816

handheldgames

I have a great Core-2 Quad @ 3.0Ghz for my pc fun... But have to say since I've been using the Mac Pro, that box serves as a great foot rest... LOL... Once windows 7 media center ships, it will serve as a great DVR with the option to add on HD cable card tuners.. Something sadly unavailable on a Mac :(

So taking the i7 975 route @ 800 seems like the smoking gun! Now.. I just need to pull the trigger on the box and the CPU.. and of course 12GB of ram!

12. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Thanks for the replies - what I was thinking, just wanted to get some other people's opinions on it before I do something without thinking about it. :)

Heh, you hit the nail on the head for why I was wondering. Why buy the purchase price of the chip for the upgrade when you can swap it out? :D I assume the Xeon in the entry-level quad specs out similarly as the 920 for OC'ing.

Where on EARTH are you getting a 975 for $800? Is it used?

13. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 65816

handheldgames

$800 seems to be market for new on eBay buy it now. Searching auctions sho it going as low as $640.

IMost vendors have a 30 day, don't forget intelsvkicks in after that. If you buywith paypal.. It's insured to be the product you bought. Else it's 999 at newegg.

14. AppleWorking macrumors regular

The Xeon's are the top CPU's and they have always gotten priority (binning wise) over the extremes... If it is even possible to overclock these in a Mac the Xeon will exceed what you can do with an i7 chip.

Less voltage, less heat, supports 1333 memory, unlocked, etc. And Mac user's are preferential toward ECC memory (PC guys hate the stuff :rolleyes:)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apple doesn't go with Xeons for no good reason.

Anyway I sold the second 3.33GHz Xeon about an hour after you pm'd me. Good luck with your project. :cool:

15. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 65816

handheldgames

Great news on your sale! I sat on a couple of x5365 CPUs for a couple of day s before mine went. It looks like, on paper, that the main differences between the chips are the use of ECC ram in the system. Which is controlled by the on-board memory controller, and does not appear to be an issue with the MacPro's motherboard.

Voltage wise they both have the same low-end, leaving the i975 a higher thermal tolerance for overclocking... Either way.. I'll never notice the difference. :D

Regarding ram... ECC vs nonECC... I have no preference and it sounds like ECC works just fine and im not seeing any Non ECC DDR3 out there in a a 4x3 configuration...