Buying a base 13" cMBP and upgrading - How much? It is worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacBoy, May 12, 2013.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Hi, I have been considering the rMBP (base 13") MBA (13") or the base 13" cMBP and then upgrading it with a SSD and moving the standard 500GB HDD to the ODD which is a nice option. This obviously means no retina display and heavier laptop etc... If I bought a refurbished 2012 cMBP from Apples refurb store when they have them in (they were on the UK one yesterday for £849) how much would it total out at for a nice SSD and say 8GB RAM etc

Or is it just the same and less hassle to perhaps go for the refurb retina (£1059)

It's such a hard decision!!! I would go with the base MBA but I would like 8GB of RAM, but there's none of that spec In the refurb.

Is there an alternative to MacMall but UK based?

Thanks

2. technowar macrumors 6502

I can't say anything but thanks for introducing me to MacMall.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I was going to get the refurbished 13" RMBP but ended up finding a great deal on a used 13" 2011 cMBP 2.4ghz for $500. I maxed out the ram myself, added a 500GB Samsung 840, opti drive to a 750GB HDD. Cost my like $800, and the thing is awesome.

I just cant imagine not being able to add my own ram or my own industry standard drives. The "added weight" is hardly noticeable.

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

It's worth it if you really want the ability to use 2, standard sized drives, 16GB RAM, and have the extra ports. That's why I purchased a 13" cMBP last year instead of an air or retina. The extra weight is hardly noticeable.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Memory: www.crucial.com/uk
    SSD: www.dabs.com

Probably plenty of other companies as well, but I've been quite happy with these.

But the real question is: Do you need / want more disk space than the rMBP gives you? If yes, you have no choice but _must_ buy the cMBP (2 TB is possible if you need it). If no, I would say that the rMBP is the better value with the better screen and much less weight.

6. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

The cMBP is a good deal. In fact, it is a great machine except for the screen.
    I've gone through three of them already.

I got the late June 2012 with USB 3.0 and I also have a 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro. If the screen was any better, I wouldn't even get the 15" Retina.

1280x800 is pretty low for the year 2013. I love the fact it could be upgradeable. Mine had 16GB for $80. I also have a 512GB ssd and a 1TB 7200 rpm drive in the cdrom bay. Upgraded, everything was by far less than what you can get with a Retina 13"

7. crispytreat macrumors member

I have the exact same machines. I loved my 13 but the screen was very lacking. I picked up the 15 rmbp and I am even happier.