Buying a BlackBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mckyvlle, Nov 21, 2007.

1. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Hi All, after 3.5 years with my Dell laptop I've decided to give it up and buy a BlackBook! First time Mac buyer here, so I'm really anxious to see how a Mac will fit in my life.

Would you believe it, the MacBooks are sold out in Macao! I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before they are in stock again. This gives me a short amount of time to ask some questions and avoid buyer's remorse :rolleyes:

Hoping to join the enlightened Mac crowd soon, wish me luck!

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Enlightened?
    come on dude we just all want stuff that works! and not spend an hour removing crap that is unnecessary. I recently changed from a top of the line DELL XPS Laptop, and the only time I looked back was to check ebay for the price of my Dell. Why change you ask? first off I loved XP Pro, but a friend let me play on his Blackbook for a few days and I must admit I was shocked at user ease, yeah MAC does some things different, but most of the time its for the good. besides another friend of mine bought a new machine with VISTA on it and he absolutely HATED IT and downgraded. I am not saying MAC's are the new coming but I will say when they were conceived they had the consumer in mind. Just make sure you play on one before you buy.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your new MacBook, whenever you get it.

You mentioned buyer's remorse and questions, but didn't ask anything. Is there something you need to know?

4. japresl macrumors member

I'm pretty sure buyers remorse is non-existant when it comes to Mac. Unless you like for things to be more complicated, then stick with a PC

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Welcome!!!!
    You will love your new blackbook very much...i know i do.:apple:
    iTeen

6. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

As for buyer's remorse, it's nothing major. Just the anxiety of being a first-time Mac buyer. I've been reading the forums and read some trouble the the MacBook keyboard, electric buzz and so on. So hopefully when I get my BlackBook it's as near as possible defect-free.

I really wouldn't want to have it complicated. Having spent most of my computing life in Windows and trying to get things to work, I want my stuff to just work :)

7. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got my BlackBook!

w00t!

The MacBooks are back in stock and I got my BlackBook on Saturday!
    Spent the weekend playing with it and it's perfect! Keyboard's reponsive, perfect screen (even the glossy bit didn't bug me), and temperature is ok: ~40c during web browsing, ~75c when both cores are at 100%.

One of my best purchases! :D

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

congrats mckyville!

and welcome to the enlightened :D

your blackbook should be quite an awesome machine

as you're a first time mac user, i recommend cruising these forums looking for ways to streamline your user experience and such

as a starter, here's some programs i use

- Mail (absolutely fantastic)
    - Safari (sounds obvious, but get to know how to use it...there are many worthwhile hidden features)
    - Adium (the best messengering service out there for mac atm, and with www.adiumxtras.com you can customise it infinitely)
    - iWork (get yourself iWork08...it is much better than Office for mac)
    - iTunes (why would you use anything else?)
    - VLC (media player that plays every format i've tried on it thus far)
    - Toast 8 (the best disc burning program i've ever seen or used)
    - Handbrake (great for converting DVD's to readable movie files)
    - Mac the Ripper (*cough* rips any DVD *cough*)
    - Visual Hub (converts any video file to any video file so far as i can tell)
    - Transmission (simple, easy to use torrenting client)

and explore the inbuilt software, there are some gems in there...no matter what you spend your time doing:)

:apple:good luck and enjoy your mac:apple:

9. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the great info. I just bookmarked this thread so that when I FINALLY get my Macbook (Come on Santa!), I will know what to immediately go for.

10. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

np guys:)

enjoy them...and also...many other people have created their own lists on the internet of their favourite mac programs...well worth a look:)

12. tianuk3 macrumors member

lol thats crazy.. im just about to buy a blackbook after having a DELL inspiron 9100 for 3.5 years! :). Will be sad to say goodbye to 1920x1200 res and 128mb graphics card, but the noise and weight of that machine meant it was pretty much useless for uni, unless I wanted to break my back carrying it!.

will buy my blackbook hopefully v.soon :-D good luck on urs mate. This will be my first one too

13. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

14. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie

Getting a BlackBook sometime in 2008 and this list looks great, thanks!

15. Polo2883 macrumors regular

I just bought mine on black friday.
    I got $90 off from my EPP apple site. Then they also added on the $101 off for black friday. Now i just need to buy apple care sometime next year also need to max out the memory to get vmware fusion to run better

16. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

congrats man. you know what they say... an apple a day...

enjoy it...you will never look back

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Add these to the list:

NeoOffice: a free word processing client for OS X
    MainMenu: a great little maintenance tool

18. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definately! Ordered a 4GB RAM kit from OWC, it's shipping already and should be here by the weekend :D

> tianuk3
    Mine's an Inspiron 8600, 15.4'' lcd @ 1680x1050. Like you said, I love the screen estate too. But now I'm flying around alot more, it's just too much to lug around. Hope you get yours soon! I'm glad I got mine! :cool:

Say, any thoughts between Parallels and VMware Fusion? Is there any significant advantages of choosing one over the other or just a matter of individual preference?

Cheers!

19. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

second vote for neooffice. great open source program. and it runs great on the macbooks. opens .doc files and .docx files.

20. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

VMWare

add that to the list if you plan on using windows at all...and 4Gb RAM and VMware run sweetly:cool:

21. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for the software suggestions!

What (un-)archiving do you guys suggest? I mainly have to deal with zip, gzip, tar, bzip2, 7-zip and the occasional rar archives. Used to use 7-zip on Windows, but there is only a commandline version on the Mac.

Any ideas?

22. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i use UnRarX and StuffIt Expander

haven't had a problem with them yet:)

23. lucifix macrumors newbie

hi,

I have not read this thread in full but just wanted to let you know of some things that I felt were rather important when I bought a blackbook.

1. File Sharing with windows PC

this was really important to me because I have a main PC at home and it has all the music and videos on it.
    It is possible to access files from your home PC, but you would have to have a wireless network set up.

I hope you will enjoy your mac!

24. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

I never had good experience with filesharing in Windows, even between Windows machines... It's hard to connect sometimes and sometimes it just won't work.

Anyway, my office has a sadistic router rules that blocks certain traffic. I decided it's far easier for me to setup a Web server and share my files that way. Works well between Mac, Linux and Windows :)

Really am enjoying my Mac!

25. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I've not yet managed to get my CPU above about 70 ;)
    Although I don't do any video editing or 3D modelling so :)

Also on the matter of the RAM, max out for sure.
    I had 2GB of compatible RAM in my old laptop and switched it to the MacBook and as of now I have 16MB free :/
    This could probably be assigned to the massive memory usage of Safari but I was still surprised just quite how much OS X uses