Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreydzung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Hi all, I have saved up some money (10k) and thinking of what to do with that. Here is my situation: I live in Chicago suburbs, with good public transporation. My roommate also has a car and we use that one for groceries. But it's not a good thing to borrow his car since insurance/personal problem. Also my workplace is walkable from home.

1) Buy a used car: Go out of town sometimes, and network with people (this is especially beneficial as most of the time now I just work, and stay at home/do grocery in weekends) Chicago has a lot of cool places not reachable by public transporation or will be very time consuming (1-2 hours one way). And driving itself is so relaxing.

2) Not buying it: Use Zipcar or car rental, but rightnow I'm not eligible for Zipcar yet due to 1 year driving history requirement. Probably I'll use the money to invest then, but it'll be all work for me then ..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say that you really don't need a car though it would be a nice to have and may provide some benefits.

I'd look more to the zip car for any usage needs and save your money.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
If the room mate would be up for it just have him/her add you to there insurance policy. Offer to pay the difference (or the entire year of insurance depending on how much it is) and put gas in the car every one in a while.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Buying the car is the cheap bit. Insurance, tax, petrol, repairs, service etc are the bits that really add up.

whosnut

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Riverside, CA
I wish I lived somewhere that I didn't have to use a car to get everywhere. With a car, you have to think about: insurance, maintenance, parking, fuel expense. I just replaced my front axle and now I need new brakes. I swear, even keeping up with the service schedule, something new always pops up that needs to be repaired.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Chicago (and you suburbanites :p) have some of the best public transit in the U.S., so just stick to it.

ZipCar and the other near identical Chicago service (blanking on the name) are the easiest things ever. Just wait for it.

Sometimes living in a commuter area I do miss my U-Pass or CTA Plus Card :)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Cars itself aren't that bad, but insurance, petrol, maintenance all add up. I'd probably avoid getting one unless you really felt that you needed it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Chicago (and you suburbanites :p) have some of the best public transit in the U.S., so just stick to it.

ZipCar and the other near identical Chicago service (blanking on the name) are the easiest things ever. Just wait for it.

Sometimes living in a commuter area I do miss my U-Pass or CTA Plus Card :)

Agreed, if I was you I wouldn't buy a car.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
If you can live without it then go for it. Having a car is only worth it if you use it enough.

As for me, I moved out of Boston to the suburbs so I could drive. I love the car, hate public transportation with a passion. Every time I take it in Boston I want to barf. Luckily this happens 1-2 times a year so it's survivable.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Cars itself aren't that bad, but insurance, petrol, maintenance all add up. I'd probably avoid getting one unless you really felt that you needed it.

Can't believe I forgot the incredible chance (50%+) that your car will get hit in Chicago - even if you just leave it parked! Some idiot is going to run into the front, back, or side of you, or some act of fate will scratch/dent/mess up your car if you don't have private parking.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Do not buy a car, it really doesn't sound like you need one.

Seriously...It is a HUGE expense. Insurance, gas, maintenance, and not too mention since you live in the city parking may be an issue for you.

Take that money, stash it away and forget about it.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Been riding public transit for the past 2 years, its really not been bad at all even though my journey to work is almost an hour. I save a lot of money and I catch up on my reading daily.

Id vote for staying on public transit and save your money.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Why not get a small motorcycle?

It might not be the solution for everyone, but it has worked for me.

Since I left school 40 years ago I have owned a small (sub 350cc) practical motorcycle for all but about three years (a total of eight motorcycles, of which I still own two; one here in Thailand and one in NZ). I have owned cars off and on for about five of the same years......

In the past nine years I have rented a car on just 3 occasions, and borrowed my sister's once.

My day to day ride, within a 10 - 12 radius of home, is a sturdy bicycle with a carrier and a basket. Public transport where I live is abysmal.

All vehicles I have owned were second hand, paid for in cash with none costing more than $US 1,200.

I reckon that there are better things to do with money than buying an "asset" that devalues quickly, and costs a heap to simply own, and a whole lot more to run. Use the alternatives, and rent when you need to.

On the other hand, if you do have the disposable income to spare, go ahead and buy a car.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Do not buy a used car. Save up more money, make sure you earn enough for insurance and buy a nice, inexpensive new car. It will probably last forever if you are only using it for smaller trips, weekend stuff and still walk to work. Or go with a scooter if the weather is good enough for most of the year and you have a garage to store it in. I had one. They are a lot of fun and cheap to fill up with gas.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Why not?

Every vehicle I have ever owned has been used - 8 motorcycles (two still owned; two running well when stolen) and 4 cars since the mid '70s - No problems.

UNless you know enough about cars to make sure you're getting a good deal, its too risky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.