Buying A Developer Account ($99)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chase817, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Chase817 macrumors member

Chase817

Hello, I am thinking about buying a developer account to get the 3.0 beta. I am also wondering if it would be worth it though. Considering I am a 14 year old with no coding experience, would it even be worth it for me to upgrade to paid, other than getting the beta os's? I could pay for it and everything, but because of my age, it is a big chunk out of my savings. I REALLY want to learn cocoa, and cocoa touch. I have even tried, multiple times. But I always fail when it starts to get complicated. So, do you think I should spend the cash and buy a dev account? If so, do you have any tips for a coding noob? Note that I have no developing experience, except for learning Small Basic (Heck, at least it's sort of a language :eek:). I am also not some teenager looking to make a quick buck, I'd be making mostly free apps, and maybe a couple paid. Thanks for reading. :apple:

2. neverbuyapc macrumors newbie

I was in ur situation a few years ago. I wouldn't do it. The beta stuff usually is really buggy and doesn't support a lot of stuff until it is finalized. As for coding, there are better ways. Just google it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i wouldnt

why not code with the 2.0 sdk and when 3.0 comes out you can adapt to that?

4. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

If you are getting the account just to get the beta then don't. But if you really are going to build apps and see your $100 going somewhere then I say it's up to you. I can't tell you much about how difficult it is since I'm not a Dev but I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses from those who are.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Download the SDK for free and play around with it to see what you're able to accomplish first. If you think you're making progress then opt for becoming a registered developer.

6. Mengels7 macrumors regular

If you JUST wanna run the beta, shoot me a PM. I don't have dev accounts but a contact who does.

As far as developing goes, I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Im 19, no programming experience, but I do pick up on that sort of stuff fairly quickly. Where do I wanna get started if my ultimate goal is to make games and apps for the iPhone?

7. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

if you want to learn coding, just start with 2.2.1!! theres nothing MAJOR that will change the way you code from 2.2.1 to 3.0

BTW 2.2.1 sdk is FREE

8. elbirth macrumors 65816

Let me reiterate what others are saying here- right now you are saying you have no idea how to code. Then WHY are you going to spend so much money on something that's unnecessary? The 2.2.1 SDK is completely free for anyone to download and use. The only drawback is that you can't install your apps on your phone- they have to be run from the simulator in XCode.

Until you learn how to program and are making stuff you want to put on your phone and/or sell in the app store, forget about paying for the development program and spend that money on programming books. Once you know what you're doing, then 3.0 will be final anyway and it'll be free to obtain and code with (again, until you want to sell or whatever).

You're young, start now with being smart with your money and get the knowledge first.

9. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

hey mengels. i was also thinking about buying a dev account, but not sure it is worth the 100 bucks. u said you have a contact who has one. what would he want in exchange for adding my iphone UDID to his dev account so that i could run the beta?

10. JellyUK macrumors newbie

For some reason, i can't send you a PM, but i'm interested in running 3.0. Could you send me some info on jellyuk [at] googlemail [dot] com if your contact is able to add an extra ID to his account?

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

How about you take regular programming classes :confused:

I would recommend you start with C++ it was a great stepping stone into other program languages

12. KyleJL macrumors newbie

Do you still have room?

Hi, I found this from Google (and couldn't even remember my old account). I was wondering if you are able to get that beta to me too, please? Thanks if you can!

(I couldn't PM, but my email is:

kylejl7 @ gmail . com

without spaces.)

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Not to disagree with your post, because I think you are right that he should start with the 2.x SDK, but, there actually are some fairly major changes between the two.

14. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Anyone else feel a bit dated that 14 year olds have iPhones and want to start coding at that age? Haha

But I would recommend you start with learning some objective-C. Apple has some good information online for getting started like :
    http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/
    http://developer.apple.com/document.../ObjectiveC/Introduction/introObjectiveC.html

Also Java, C and C++ are good area's for starting with coding to learn the structure side of it. All kinds of resources out there for them. Instead of trying to jump right into coding applications you need to learn the basics. If you can develop on your mac you will have no issues developing on your iphone.

15. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Since you have zero programming experience, might I recommend starting to learn the Processing programming language?

www.processing.org

granted, its not a very frequently used language, but its powerful enough to do really neat things, since the language is based on Java.

It does have its own syntax, which is different in a lot of areas, but at the same time, its similar enough to other programing languages that you should be able to learn basic programming techniques, most of which will translate very smoothly as you pick up more experience and start learning new languages like Objective-C.

I started programming on Actionscript, but it wasn't until I went through a Processing course at school that I really got a good handle on how things work.

best of all the software is free and very easy to use, there are free solutions out there if you want to start learning Java or C++, etc...but these are usually designed for seasoned developers and will have a bunch of extra stuff you don't need at the moment

Some examples of stuff you can do with Processing.
    http://processing.org/exhibition/

also, Robert Hodgin from the Barbarian Group has for the past few years, been working exclusively in Processing and has come up with some neat stuff. Something probably more well known is an Itunes visualizer he did...I think it came out with somewhere around version 7.8-8.0, not sure exactly when, but that was done in Processing.
    His site is at
    www.flight404.com

16. jhamos13 macrumors newbie

same here:)
    im in a pickle here because of my stupidity and now im in hot water with my internship and my classes:)

jhhsamos13@yahoo.com

I'd really appreciate it:))

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    This all depends on what you want to do. If you don't have the interest or aptitude for programming (and you're only into playing around with things until you get tired of them), then you should definitely just wait until 3.0 is released. REMEMBER: Once you put 3.0 on your iPhone... its NOT coming off. No "restore" will bring your phone back to 2.0. It's a one way trip, and if something goes wrong, you're putting your phone usage at risk. Apple recommends that you do NOT put it on your main phone, but a phone (or Touch) dedicated to development. Many developers are simply using their old 2G iPhone and calling it a day.

Regarding learning to code, there are plenty of free resources on Apple's website, and the SDK is free as well. I personally recommend these two books:

* Programming in Objective-C 2.0 | Stephen Kochan (this will get you rolling from scratch)
    * Beginning iPhone Development - Exploring the iPhone SDK | Dave Mark/Jeff LaMarche (this will get you creating iPhone apps)

Buy these books used if you have to, it will be MUCH less than $99. Then, when you've outgrown the simulator and want to start doing more... sign-up for a dev account. But, if you're going to give away stuff for free... you really better LOVE programming. If you're trying to make some extra money, then use this as a project for understanding how to run your own business affairs.

When I was 14, I would have been all over the iPhone SDK. I saved $1,200 for my first Amiga, and programming on my Commodore 128 for hours and hours into the night, just to see what I could do. If I had something even an nth as cool as the iPhone, with all that free time... I'd have been over the moon (My current computer, the iMac, cost just a little more than my Amiga back then, which is very ironic). Now, I'm married, and I have to race against time before we have our first kid (we're not trying yet)... by, then I'll probably have even less free time than I do now. :p

Enjoy it while you have it. Time is a valuable resource. Put it to work for you and you won't regret it. Take it for granted, and you'll be amazed at how fast it moves.

If you do get around to developing iPhone apps... don't do a "fart" app, or the first crazy thing that pops into your head. Really think about it, and find out something unique that people really need. It's boring to hear all these stories of developers that though that their mediocre, poorly executed idea would have people clamoring to pay for it (hint: this usually doesn't work out well). Stick to creating something that fits these two criteria and you're golden: 1.) You would happily buy it, from its description. 2.) It solves a basic need or has high amusement value.

Good luck,
    ~ CB

18. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I think he was saying that nothing that will change the WAY you CODE between the two versions. Meaning, your 2.0 application will compile and run just fine on 3.0 without much ado. While developers will be getting over 1000 new APIs, for someone just starting to program, it goes without saying that there will be ample time to play "catch-up" later after they build a foundation.

~ CB

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also interested in learning programming and might start reading those books over the Summer. :)

20. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I thought you could download the different firmware from apple, and do something through itunes and be able to pick which firmware you want to revert back to? Is it different with 3.0?

James

21. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Good luck. Also, check the eBooks. Beginning iPhone Development allows you to get the eBook (PDF format) for $10. I thought this was a bargain, and picked it up. The file is password protected, but simply printing it to PDF format removes the protection, allowing you to view it on your iPhone using something like "Files" or "AirShare" type document repositories available through the App Store.
    With regards to the iPhone specifically, major version changes (1.3->2.0 or 2.0->3.0) are usually accompanied with changes to the baseband, making "downgrades" impossible without hacking. That's the explanation I've been rolling with. Changes BETWEEN minor version numbers (1.3->1.2) do not have this problem. Moreover, Apple has specifically and explicitly stated to developers that this version installation was irreversible.

~ CB

22. bossxii macrumors 68000

lol, I just feel dated because I'm old... but no better time to start! i was programming on my C64 in Basic back when, first simple game using sprite graphics in 1986 :) Good stuff. I haven't done any programming in a long time but remember how fun it was, just wish I had stuck with it (programming). Moved on to other interest, who knew I could have had a nice business 20+ years later making games for a phone. Sheesh! :)

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. At fourteen years old, Apple won't give you a developer account. The reason is that by buying a developer account, you enter a legal contract with Apple, and such a contract cannot be enforced against a 14 year old. (I think iif you lie about your age and they accept you, then Apple is legally on the safe side). Obviously your parents can get the account and then they are responsible for it.

2. If you want to learn about programming, you can get the free ADC account and get all the Macintosh development tools including the iPhone simulator. You can learn all the programming languages (C, C++, Objective-C, Java, Perl, Ruby, Python etc. ) You can learn Cocoa programming, which lets you do the same things on a Macintosh that you would do on an iPhone. And you can learn iPhone programming. You just can't put your software on a real iPhone.

24. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Start wit C++ and go from there, i think that's how a lot of my friends started their programming careers