Buying a HP monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wicker, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Wicker macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I am seriously thinking of buying a HP monitor for my Macbook, just not sure if the one(s) I want will work with the Macbook and if it is any good.

I'm thinking about the HP W1907E 19" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Widescreen-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218090843&sr=1-2 )

or the HP W2007V 20" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Widescreen-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218090843&sr=1-1 ).

First of all, do these two work with the Macbook (sorry if this is a silly question, I don't know anything about monitors and I was told that you had to check the resolution or something before buying)? Has anyone had any experience with these two monitors?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Why HP monitors? try looking at Dell or Samsung monitors in your price range

3. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

4. joe-bloggs macrumors newbie

I've have a Samsung SM206BW 20" widescreen, and it's good. Pictures are crisp and has good refresh rate.:cool: I catch watch movies on it no problems, and do a little photo editing.

Dells LCD's are good as well.

5. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input. The Samsung looks like a nice monitor, a bit out of my price range sadly... I'm looking to spend no more than £150 and all Samsungs seem to be over that.

I'm liking the HP and the Dell, not sure which one to go for, though. Both have DVI connections, would it be better if I got a Mini-DVI to DVI connector or would I be better off getting the Mini-DVI to VGA connector?

6. rvrugg90 macrumors member

I have the 22 in version of the hp you were looking at. HP 2207(h). I read all of the reviews. The monitor has excellent reviews. Look at pcworld,pcmag,etc,etc. I recommend it. Plus my monitor can be moved in any direction, swiveled, height-adjustment,etc.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

8. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input. I'm swaying towards the Dell at this point. I'm not a designer, photographer or anything like that, but I do some programming on occasions and like to watch films. So I don't need anything too powerful, but I do want a clear picture, etc.

I'm just wondering if the DVI makes a big difference? If it does I might just go with the Dell (as the HPs are only VGA). Would this be the wise thing to do? And if I were to do this would I need an extra cable (aside from the Mini-DVI to DVI Apple connector)?

Thanks!

9. raymondkerr macrumors regular

HP w2007 or 2207 on a mac

I am looking to get one of the HP monitors for use as a second screen on my iMac, and was wondering if you can use the monitor in Vertical mode on the mac, I know it will work on a windows pc with the included software from HP, but what about the mac ?

Thanks
    Raymond

10. Rendition macrumors member

Stick with HP. I have a HP LP1965 and the build quality is MUCH MUCH better than Dells I have owned in the past.

11. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I've got the w2007 hooked up to my iMac and it works great. The only thing is it sits a lot lower than the iMac. I've got a picture of my setup posted on my blog.

It works fine in vertical mode if that's your thing--the iMac will let you rotate it 90 degrees without issue through System Preferences without any additional software--but I'm not sure if the stand on the back of the HP is capable of attaching to anywhere else on the monitor other than its designated place. I am inexperienced with vertical positioning of monitors so I'm not sure if you need a separate adapter or how it works. There are four additional holes on the back for wall mounting if that helps.

12. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

check dealmac.com for good prices on Samsung and Dell.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They will work with your MacBook. The MacBook will support everything up to 1920 x 1200 resolution with DVI and up to 1600 x 1200 with VGA. You will have to buy either the MiniDVI to DVI adapter or the MiniDVI to VGA adapter (about 15 pound).

Using an LCD monitor with VGA will give you lower image quality. VGA is analog, so the MacBook has to translate its signal from digital to analog, and then the monitor translates it again from analog to digital, which is a rather stupid way to do it. So for your money, you should look for the highest possible resolution (up to 1920 x 1200) and DVI.

I'd check out at least what Dabs (www.dabs.com) and Scan (scan.co.uk) are offering; you should get a 1680 x 1050 DVI monitor instead of 1440 x 900 VGA for under £150.

Yes, it makes a huge difference especially since you want a monitor that is close to the limits of what VGA can handle reasonably (with the analog VGA, getting good image quality gets more and more difficult as the resolution increases; DVI will work perfectly fine with no loss of quality up to its limit).

14. raymondkerr macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, I went into my local PC World today to have a look at the HPs and I couldn't see how the monitor would rotate into the vertical position, I saw a video on youtube that showed the monitor rotating and also moving up and down to make the screen position at the same level of the iMac which is clearly not using the stand that comes with the w2007 or 2207. I'll need to looking into this abit more, there are nice screens, but I need it to at least have adjustable height if not having a rotating stand also.

Just found this video, but it is of the 2207 22", so maybe the stand is different from the 20".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Qwkc0lLgo

Raymond

15. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for your advice--very helpful. I'll start looking for a monitor with DVI, maybe I'll go for that Dell mentioned earlier I'll see

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

17. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

18. Hates macrumors regular