Buying a mac and forgetting how to use your PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samk8000, Dec 29, 2010.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

I bought a new MacBook Pro, and I am wowed by everything (It's my first mac) Even the trackpad and the lighted keyboard I went onto my PC laptop to get my iTunes library off of it and I couldn't even use the trackpad without pushing down to tap and doing 2 finger swipes to scroll. I am wondering if this had happened to anybody else.

2. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

little trouble getting back used to a pc but I don't forget to.

3. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I switched to Mac in 1998. We recently got a Windows PC after the 12 year hiatus. I rarely use it but when i do it always seems to piss me off. There's been a couple times i almost smashed it into a million pieces.

4. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

I use my mac while waiting for my PC to load when I have to use it

5. lilo777 macrumors 603

Scrolling on PC laptops is usually a one finger swipe. Try it. This might resolve your problem.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Doesn't that just move the pointer? :confused:

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I always try to invoke Expose on Windows machines.

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Sometimes it is a one finger swipe at the edge of the trackpad. There is most likely a line drawn on the trackpad if it is the case.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I keep trying to jam all four of my fingers onto tiny PC trackpads. I also try to use the Start button on the keyboard as the Control button, and having the Start menu pop up on your face all the time is really annoying.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have more trouble going from Windows XP -> Win 7 than I do going from Mac OS -> Windows.

11. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LOL Im sure he knows this. On PC you use 1 finger down the right side, on Mac you use 2 fingers anywhere on the trackpad. It becomes something you don't consciously think about after you have been using one for so long.

The trackpad is also my major hangup when going between Windows and Mac laptops.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I use both daily. I have a Windows 7 desktop that I prefer to use over my Mac for web browsing. Just like the feel of a desktop better. But I do all my media stuff (iTunes, iPhoto, Photoshop, movies, etc.) on my MacBook Pro. The biggest issue I have is with Command vs. Start. Backspace vs. Delete sometimes confuses me too.

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

yep backspace vs delete is a big one, except for me its delete (pc) vs delete (mac)

on the pc im used to pressing delete as i occasionally make mistakes
    like i press it if i want to delete the letter in front , but on the mac, its hard because delete =backspace

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the more you get used to your new Mac ... the less you will even want to use a PC.

The Mac trackpad alone will make you avoid your PC :cool:

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I can't "right click" on a PC any more. Have to peer down at the trackpad and "find" the other button.

16. komseban macrumors member

I had this problem today.
    LOL. Three days with my new macbook and I could not do shortcuts on a PC keyboard AT ALL.

But, I have no problems with using a mouse.

17. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

I use a Mac at home and Windows pc at work. I'm constantly getting the command key and control key mixed up when I switch systems.

18. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I use both at work and home. Been doing it for the last 3-4 years and have almost no issues. The biggest problem I have is that everyone at work seems to have a different keyboard (Apple, hp, dell, MS natural/comfort, etc) and some keys are different sizes not to mention the different laptop keyboards. Being an IT guy has made me spend time on every keyboard i've ever seen but that doesn't stop me from looking like a jackass typing in my password when working on someone's computer.

The worst keyboard/trackpad combo I have come across is the Touchsmart TM2 convertible notebook thing. It is horrible. I hate HP notebooks more than any other (notebook/desktop it doesn't matter) but this thing takes it to a new level. Second place goes to the HP Elitebook 8740 for horrible reliability.

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I use both Windows and OS X daily, I know my way around both pretty well.

But one thing that does happen often; I still use the Apple Pro Mouse on my eMac, of which those familiar with it know it has no right click function. As a result, I often find myself doing Ctrl+Click on Windows even though the mouse on my PC has a right click button. :p

20. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

The trackpad on the MBP(and other mac laptops) is amazing. Best I have ever used on a laptop.

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

I still do not get why MB users love trackpads so much. My theory is because of OS/X shortcuts. Obviously any trackpad is a lousy pointing device. But I guess they are good enough for assigning all those OS/X shortcuts. On Windows, it's not an issue.

22. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

dude I am obsessed with the mac touchpads. it blows my mind how much better it is than the competition. if asus or toshiba had touchpads like those I'm not sure I'd be buying apple now. I'm sure there touchpads alone have made people convert to apple lol

23. lilo777 macrumors 603

Even $3 mouse is better than the best touchpad (Magic Mouse is an exception).

24. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hahahahhah :D
    i got/get so pissed at windows when i use it i only have it in a vmware, only because i want to play rollercoaster tycoon 1.

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

Try Fn+Delete