Buying a MacBook at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bchamorro, Nov 9, 2008.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

Will they have one in stock with 4 gb ram, 320 gb hd, 2.4 ghz?

I really want that exact configuration, but I don't want to buy it online. I want to go to the Apple Store at the mall tomorrow and get one immediately.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Call them first. If they've got one, they'll put it aside for you. When I bought a BlackBook here in London some time ago, they had a few non-standard configs in stock so I grabbed one with extra RAM in it.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I seriously doubt it. You would have to get extremely lucky that they had some sort of cancellation on a non-cancelable order.

4. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

5. f1 macrumors 6502

Apple retail stores do not carry the macbook with a 320 hard drive it must be ordered online as a custom configured machine. The RAM can be upgraded in store however.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The standard configuration found on store.apple.com. It's rare for Apple Stores to have anything other than that.

7. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

what about the processor? do they carry the 2.4? I wouldn't mind getting this configuration:

2.4 processor, 4gigs of ram, 250gb hd

8. DukeOliver macrumors member

When I went in, I just asked a guy for a 2.4 macbook, then he said I could get a free awesome printer. Then I asked for another 2 gigs in the thing, as I wanted it to be uber. He said to come back to the store in 20m so I could pick it up, he just went to the back and added in different sticks of ram. I'm sure they can do the same for the HDD

9. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get them to add the HDD because you could easily get one cheaper elsewhere and do it yourself. Apple has started becoming better with RAM if you upgrade online. I know it's $150 in Canada to get 4GB of ram for the new MacBook from Apple and the cheapest elsewhere is $147.99+tax.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok,I bought mine in an Apple Store, Lakeside Mall here in New Orleans. Apple Stores do not upgrade your HDD. You are stuck with the 5400 rpm 250GB HDD if you buy the 2.4GHz model.

RAM is upgraded in store so yes, you can ask for higher RAM. The processor is unique to the model. The 2.4GHz CPU is part of the high-end Al MacBook.

11. Dalius macrumors newbie

I bought mine at the Apple Store in Toronto - Yorkdale. 2.4Ghz, 4GB of RAM. If you want to get a bigger hard drive, you'd need to order it online from Apple... but I'd just get it from a different source, rather than Apple.

In Canada, getting RAM from Apple is actually cheaper than getting it yourself... how surprising!

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That's true of course, but do keep in mind that it is not really quite as good as it sounds. When you upgrade to 4Gb (2x2Gb) with Apple you are technically paying for just the 2Gb update as they will pull and the keep the original 2Gb (2x1Gb) that come in it stock and replace it with the 2x2Gb.

Should you choose to use the third party RAM sources, you are actually purchasing 4Gb (2x2Gb) for the price, as you will pull and keep the 2x1Gb that are stock. Now there is no great value to that $ wise, but many consider it a better deal because you then have verified backup RAM on hand to swap back in for troubleshooting certain problems. Plus for roughly the same price you now own 6Gb! :D

No big deal and I do applaud Apple for making the upgrade more affordable, but you just need to be aware of what you get for your money! ;)

13. schubes macrumors regular

schubes

Except if you consider if you got it with 2gb ram and wanted to upgrade to 4gb you could sell the original sticks and put the money toward the new two 2 gb sticks

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can vouch for this - I ended up ordering my iMac online, having been told that they will upgrade RAM in the store but not a HD.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Hard drive replacement? Grab a torx set and some small phillips screwdrivers, and you can do it yourself within five minutes!

The only thing I would add is to grab a black and white movie on DVD, or a Tim Burton movie, and play it in the store before you leave with it to make sure you're screen is decent (if it's not, you won't be able to make out details). Check out the case for dents, etc, and ensure that the keys aren't slanted.