Buying a MacBook @ Best Buy?!!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teeeej, Sep 16, 2009.

1. teeeej macrumors newbie

I need help! I'm considering going through Best Buy and purchasing a MacBook. I want to build up my credit.. and I really don't have the funds to go buy it through Apple right now. My boyfriend's friend just recently did this and he said it was pretty easy. The thing is I have 0 credit.. and I'm not a student. I'm positive I'll be able to pay it off within the next year. Is this a good idea?? Do you think I'll even be able to do this?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are positive you will be able to pay it off, then I guess?

I'm lost what you mean when you say, "do you think I'll even be able to do this?"

3. teeeej thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 0 credit and I'm not sure I'll even be able to get approved. I'm literally obsessed with Macs. I really want one

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

You know what there was a time when people actually saved up for purchases.

5. be-b0p macrumors newbie

im sixteen as of 2 weeks ago and i saved up by working 2 jobs for an mbp 2.53 ghz. if i can, you can. and you should.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's possible. Go to bestbuy.com and apply for the BestBuy card there. Do not apply for the BestBuy rewards card first, that's a little harder to get. I've purchased three Macs there even though they aren't very knowledgeable on them.

With no credit, you most likely won't get approved. I had a few other cards before I finally got approved for the BB card. A year later I was able to get the rewards card as well.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

People purchased slaves on credit. No, literally, they would mortgage slaves on the incoming tobacco crop...

So we have also been purchasing things we cannot afford on credit for a while.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

If you have no credit, your first credit card probably won't give you a big enough balance to be able to buy a laptop.

My first card gave me a balance of $2500, and although that is enough to cover the ~$1200ish cost of a Macbook, it is very unwise to use up over half of your credit limit. General rule is to use up to 30% of your balance at most at any given time.

If you are obsessed with getting a Mac, I recommend you pay for it all at once. From what I'm gathering from your post it seems that you don't have all of the money available at the moment. I suggest you wait a couple months to save up some money and then buy it. This way you avoid any possible financial trouble and complications so early in your history.

9. teeeej thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm more than willing to save up, I've already started
    I just heard that purchasing a laptop is a really great way to build up your credit

If I did get approved does anyone know how much a month I'd be paying?

10. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

Do you have a job to pay the monthly payments ?

The interest rate for BB for some people is outrageous, what happens if you miss or are late on a payment? Do you have Mom & Dad to bail you out? Or someone that's dependable.

If your a student you may qualify for the student discount through Apple and Apple always advertises for Credit through a bank, I know I used it with the purchase of my first Apple and the interest rate was super low than I paid it off.

I have to agree with the other poster in saving up, have mom and dad meet you half way.

You'll appreciate that new APPLE COMPUTER allot more if you walk in and pay for it in full with cash, you also do not have to worry about payments, suggestion though, get Apple care on eBay, you can save allot of money.

You could also buy a refurb from Apple. Save even more money

Best of Luck

11. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I was talking about the masses not the landed gentry.

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Th minimum payment due monthly depends on what the balance due is. If you can only pay the minimum balance due each month, you don't need a credit card. It would take years to pay it off with only paying the minimum each month.

I paid for my MBP last week in all cash. That's not a very common thing these days.

13. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

get a BB credit card (non reward zone if you can't get it) and have as much cash as you can saved up already. Buy it when they offer the same as cash deals and pay it off as quickly as possible. Then every so often you can raise your credit limit which helps build your credit. I started out with mine and some times i forget to raise it ever six months (balance is zero and plan on keeping it there) right now i am at about a $10K max.

14. teeeej thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I do, I'm most likely just going to save up for a few months and then purchase one

With all the money in my hand should I just go into Apple and buy a mbp? or is there anywhere else where I can get one possibly cheaper?

15. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

best buy will price match any brick and mortar store. So if you can find it cheaper some place else, i usually go to BB because i am a reward zone points freak!

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Well done on deciding to save. You will appreciate your Macbook more if you pay it off in one.

The cheapest place in the UK is Dixsons where you can pick up one for £819 but it's only the lowly 13".

17. teeeej thread starter macrumors newbie

18. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

one credit card wont get credit very fast. Go to school rack up $40,000 in debt, pay it off, have awesome credit....when your 60 lol

19. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

Biggest mistake you can make while trying to build credit, dont spend what you don't have in cash. When the **** hits the fan, you want to be able to pay it off, if not, your credit will be worse than not having any at all. I think this is the best advice I ever got and would like to pass it on. My credit is immaculate now and I'm only 23.

20. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Mac's are great, don't get me wrong. I spend hours on mine every day and love .

But...

Nevertheless, it is just a computer. It depreciates rapidly. People should not finance (i.e. pay interest) on any item that goes down in value. That would what's known as stupid. It works against you both ways. Pay cash. Credit is not your friend.

21. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

having no credit in this economy, If you are approved, it will probably only be $300-$500.

22. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

Save up your money and buy it with cash. I saved for two months and today I received my 15" uMBP!!!! Knowing I own it free and clear of any credit payments is a much more satisfying feeling. Its like paying cash for a vehicle, you appreciate just a tiny bit more.

23. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Yup I tried to get the best buy credit card and I'm 19 with no credit.. got denied of course so I've been saving up to buy a refurbished from the apple store too. But of course the day before I'm going to order one they go out of stock.. awesome.

24. creon macrumors 6502

Amazon has a card you can apply for I think. The great thing about Amazon is no taxes (depending on where you live).

As said of previous posters: SAVE. Spending money you don't have is plain DUMB. You will enjoy your Mac more knowing YOU bought it.

Good luck!

25. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

So, only buy stuff that doesn't depreciate. So apparently you only put diamonds on credit huh?