Buying a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakepolo, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jakepolo macrumors member

I have been wanting to buy a MBP for a while now, and I recently came across what I think is a good deal used.
    Here's the specs:

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
    Screen Size: 17 inch
    Processor Configuration: Dual Core
    Operating System: --
    Memory (RAM): 4 GB
    Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW
    Hard Drive Capacity: 200 GB

for $980. So, is it a good deal or not? Also, nothing's broken.

2. PostTribber macrumors member

by comparison...

for a mobile unit @ $980, sounds like a very good deal. you won't find laptops with those specs for that price. and if it best suits your needs, then you just made your budget proud. and if you really want to make a lot people here happy .... please say matte sceen! ;)

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It sounds like a very good deal; you didn't mention the source. If it's eBay or Craigslist, I'd recommend a degree of caution. If it's a private buyer, exercise sensible care, and ask to view, and buy in a public place.

Cheers and good luck

4. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

Specticalscribe: It is craigslist, but its local. I'm not buying it till I see it.

PostTribber: Why matte screen?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless you're narcissistic, you want to be able to work in all environments and be able to see what you're doing.

6. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

I personally like the glossy screen much more than the matte. Plus, I can't find a mbp with a matte screen for a third of its actual price.:p
    Is the glossy like the one on the new unibody macbooks?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not as bad...

8. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

To be totally honest, I really like the new macbook's screen.:apple:

9. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

10. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

So, I just got back from the apple store, and the glossy MBP screen is really nice. I even tried adjusting it so it would reflect the most light, and it isn't nearly as glare-y as my mom's MacBook. Also, I decided to check out the matte screen anyway, and it had a really terrible trackpad. I mean, the tracking was extremely choppy. It was the same on another one. The third worked, though. Is this a common problem?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean worse?

I mean I'm getting used to the new screen (not that I really have a choice), but the older one was less glossy.

12. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't really matter now since I've seen both of them. Know anything about the trackpad?

13. six.four macrumors 6502

Meet the guy in person and see if the MBP is legit.

If it is... there is no reason why you shouldn't pick it up. If it's the LED/Penryn 2008 revision, even if you didn't want it, you can easily sell this for $1600+ on ebay.

14. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

I know, right? I'm gonna keep it though. I would NEVER buy something like that without checking it out though. You mean like right before the unibodys came out?

15. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Common sense precautions

1. Ask for a copy of the receipt. If it has his or her cc number, take a magic marker and block it out. For that reason, Kinko's is a good, well lighted place to conduct the transaction 24/7.

2. Draw up a bill of sale from the legal buyer to you. Have it mention the date, serial number of the machine, and state that he or she is transferring all warranties to you. Have the seller sign, date, and address the form.

3. See if it either qualifies for applecare or if it has extended applecare already on it. Go to the apple support site and print off the transfer of applecare form.

4. If possible, get the serial number before hand, or call applecare and/or the local police department to see if the unit is stolen. You can't be too careful, and a lot of burglars and theives are using craigslist instead of pawnbrokers. (In Oklahoma, making a false declaration of ownership to a pawnbroker is a felony.)

5. Good luck!

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would be more worried about it being a stolen computer more then anything. Totally check on that. Simple questions and sales receipts work. Usually when I have come across something that maybe stolen the seller is not all to happy when I start asking questions. This is a red flag to me. Asking for a serial number can freak them out some times too.

As for the track pad I would have to say the problem was not the trackpad but the fact that those were in store demos and they get beat to hell by everyone. I would not worry about the track pad.

18. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I am pretty worried about it being stolen. And, I hate to sound like an idiot, but what's a bill of sale?

19. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

A simple contract that says he's selling something to you etc?

20. jakepolo thread starter macrumors member

Oh, ok. Also, it comes with the origional box. Could it still be stolen?

21. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

What if it's stolen with the box? :eek:

Ok I don't mean that's very likely. But nothing is impossible. So it's best if you don't take any chances.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

like/dislike of the glossy screens are very subjective, and while the 17" might not be as bad as the unibodies (i like the unibody and the 17" looked the same to me in the store) your best bet is to see in person. meet up with the guy somewhere that simulates where you will be using it most frequently, like next to a big window for example and decide for sure.

23. naid macrumors regular

$980 sounds too much like a scam... just my gut feeling.

24. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

980 doesn't sound too insanely loo to me... it sounds about right for older machines, especially with the new body styles out, they've really gone down in price even for new machines.

it could be these have been through quite a few repairs, but as long as it has the warranty i don't see why not to pick it up.

check the serial number at apple's website to check it's repairs and warranty status etc..

25. six.four macrumors 6502

I think you're seriously out of touch with the market.

Even a 15.4" 2.6ghz penryn goes for $1400+ on ebay easy.

A 17" 2.6ghz penryn? $1600+ easy. $980 is INSANELY low. You can't even get a previous gen 15" 2.4ghz base model penryn for that much on ebay.

Those are good precautions but not always realistic and I'd say most people will not care enough to go through all those steps. Especially at that price, there are many other people willing to buy it if you're not. All you need is the serial number to check if it's stolen.

I sell stuff on craigslist all the time. I ignore people who are super paranoid and ask me to sign, date, or whatever - it is tedious and unnecessary as there is no way you can verify any of that information anyway. I say - just get the serial number and call to verify it is not stolen.

And BTW, you should skeptical that this deal is even still available seeing as it's been 3+ days already. Good deals in my craigslist areas are gone within a few hours.