Buying a Macbook Refurb???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyroceon, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

What is you experience with Apple Store refurbished machines? I see that I can save $100 even after education discount by buying refurb. I will just double the memory myself and I'll be fine. So, again the question is, will the machine be like new? I will obviously buy Applecare regardless, but this just saves some money from my bottomline. I definitely will take what you guys say into consideration, so thanks.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I've bought a few things refurb from Apple. The only thing I really noticed that was different from then being brand new was the fact that it wasn't packaged in the retail boxes. But I've never had a problem with the quality.

3. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Nearly all of my Apple computers have been refurbs. I have never regretted it at all. The systems always look like brand new, aside from the box they come in. With new you get the original white box. With refurb you get a brown box.

I like to look at this way - Maybe my chances are better that all problems with the unit were discovered and corrected and I will get a more solid computer than if I bought it brand new. And I also get a better price.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have had good luck with them - they are basically a new machine, with a full factory warranty.

You can't beat the cost savings...

5. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I just bought one but had a problem. Called up the Apple Customer service. After a few calls where they couldn't solve the problem, they said they are sending me a brand new one overnight after I send mine back.

The Refurb I got looked brand new except the battery had some scratches. But I was very impressed.

6. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I got a MacBook on refurb from Apple the other week, it works fine but was covered in grubby fingerprints, plus didn't have install disk one with it.

I polished it up and it looked like new, called Apple and a week later i got install disk one sent to me, only thing is its a "home burnt" disc. Purple bottom and printed on an ink jet, slightly odd but not major. (infact i ought to make sure it works)

7. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I purchased one a couple of weeks ago and saved $100 from what I could have purchased the same model in the Education store. I paid $899 for mine.

With that said if I had it to do over again I would have just purchased the new one from the Education store. The $100 wasn't enough. It came with Tiger installed and I had to wipe the hard drive and install Loepard. Then I decided to upgrade the memory and hard drive and being the Leopard disk they give you is just an upgrade disk you have to first install Tiger than do the upgrade.

8. chuise macrumors newbie

i purchased a refurb macbook pro a little over a year ago and had major problems with it. i'm not really sure how it made it through the refurb process, but there were some really wacky problems... like, i could only use the built in microphone while headphones or external speakers were plugged in. plus a few other hits... the "genuis" at the apple store was even shocked.

i sent it back and ended up buying one at my local store.

9. Spievy macrumors regular

I always buy apple refurb. Never a problem (my experience).

I am just waiting on a Refurb 500GB Time Capsule to show up :D

10. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I've just taken delivery of a refurbished 2.2 SR Macbook. It came in a brown box an has a couple of tiny scratches on the botom of the unit but apart from that everything is shiny like new. I did have issues with my Wi-Fi connection but once I downloaded the 10.5.2 leopard update the Wi-Fi issues disappeared (knock on wood!). I didn't get applecare for my device because I am pretty computer literate and macs are supposed to be quality machines so I figure I won't need it. Anyway, if I need help then I've always got MacRumors! :D I say go ahead and get your refurb MacBook - you won't regret it.

cheers,

mp

11. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I would have strongly recommended a refurbished MacBook and a MacBook in general about a week ago when I received mine, but I quickly noticed problems.

I had the chirping issue with recording video through the iSight camera. Any video that I recorded with any program through the camera and internal mic picked up a persistent, high-pitched buzzing sound. I guess the issue would have been with the mic itself instead of the iSight. Also, when looking at the lid of the MacBook in the dark, you could see light shining through the plastic all around the Apple logo and along the edge of the screen.

I do not blame this on the refurbs as much as on the MacBooks overall. After several extended phone calls with Apple, I got them to let me order a replacement instead of getting it repaired, and then I thought about it some more and arranged for a refurb MacBook Pro instead.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Refurbs have an equal or lower risk of being defected as new computers; go with a refurb if you get the chance. Remember: if you buy a new MB, open it, change your mind, and return it, that makes that new machine just as much of a "refurb" as a machine that gets the logic board, superdrive, lcd, and keyboard replaced.

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I saved 30% on a 20" iMac about 2 years ago, it was a fantastic buy and would highly recommend to anyone who is considering buying a Mac.

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I know someone who always never buy new macs, just refurbed ones and they seem just fine. Also, you might get better specs than you paid for since sometimes people put RAM in the computer and return it. Apple doesn't take it out, and just sells the computer as is. So you might get a Macbook with 2 gb of memory! Refurbs are also checked by technicians when they are returned and may even have less problems than new models. If apple's new MBPs aren't significantly upgraded, I'm gonna buy a refurb.

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

good for you! Refurbs from apple are excellent machines... just come in a different box...

16. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Got a black macbook refurb a week ago and it is just like new.

17. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

My first refurb 2.16 C2D 20" iMac was a complete turd. It had about 20 stuck pixels, kernal panicked a few times in the first two hours, and had lousy Airport connectivity.

However, Apple remains the top in my book.

A call on the phone, a brief discussion about my strong support for Apple as a longtime Mac user, and they overnighted me another refurbished one.

The new one? Completely and utterly flawless. Beautiful screen, no panics, Airport works dandy. They refunded me the cost of the Applecare I paid for because of the trouble, so in the end, I paid about 1000 dollars for a brand new machine, fully covered under 3 years of warranty.

I'm no fanboy, but I strongly support their work, as their customer service does well.

18. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I thank you all for your replies, but I think it is better for me to go with a new one under HE discount. I'll tell you why. Basically, this is my first Mac and it is going to be a change that will have enough outstanding feelings or confusions. I don't want to add one more to the list. My decision may change but this is what I have gathered so far. Thanks for all responses.

19. dringkor macrumors member

I just got a refurb white Macbook w/Superdrive and it's been great. Aside from the brown box, the only thing different between this and a new Macbook is that it came with 2GB of RAM when only 1GB was advertised. Needless to say, I wasn't very upset about that.

20. ewxlt macrumors regular

Our black MacBook was a refurb purchased last month. The disc drive was broken out of the box, it had shifted inside the case somehow. Other than that it's been flawless and looks brand new. Disc drive was fixed in 8 seconds at the Apple Store. A bit frustrating, but it works perfect now.

21. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

My old roommate just got a black macbook refurb. Loves it. Just like new. Thinking about getting one of ACDs refurbished myself.

22. Robes macrumors newbie

No problems here!!

I bought a refurb Macbook (2.2)/ added 4gb of ram and switched the hard drive for a 250gb one. Works like any other. Really fast. Encodes DVD in minutes to whatever format I want with VisualHub or Cocktail. Handles anything I want to do in Logic Pro 8. Plenty of tracks loaded with software instruments and plug-ins. All with Safari, iTunes, and VMware Fusion running windows for me at the same time!!!

23. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I bought a refurb MBP last year and it came in a 'brown box'. The computer was badly scratched, but worked perfectly fine. I think maybe my particular unit was an exception.

I ended up returning it because of the cosmetic damage, however, it was a very smooth process to return it.

I'd buy refurb again if the savings was great enough.

24. cfs macrumors 6502a

This would be my first Mac if I buy one. I have a Mac store down the road from me but there is a refurb for $100.00 less. Is this considered enough of a bargain?

Thanks,
    -cfs

25. tatster macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if you can get Edu/FE/HE discounts on refurb machines?

I'm looking at getting a 15" 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro, and yes I know that updates are imminent but I'm getting impatient!!! Last Tuesday, this Tuesday, next Tuesday, some Tuesday this year??? :confused:

Tatster.