Buying a new 27" imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lobeyonekenobi, Mar 18, 2010.

1. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Hi i'm new to this forum so i hope i'm in the right place. I'm just researching on whether it's worth buying a 27" imac now or wait cos i've heard they're going to upgrade to Blu-ray. Is this true????? Also will the new i5 and i7s become standard.

2. easepease macrumors regular

I am waiting but not for blueray... there has been rumors of blue ray for years and I just dont believe any of them anymore.

I personally am waiting just because I can and if I wait I then have no reason to kick myself later if the update rocks! My guess is probably i5 moves to the 1699 and then i7 does 1999, but upgrades to a little better i7 as well. What I would guess is maybe new graphics options! I almost pulled the trigger on a 1849 i7 refurb, however the girlfriend convinced me that I have no NEED for it :)

3. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Waiting for the impending update or buying now seems to be the dominant discussion lately. I'm of the belief that the refresh will occur sometime after the iPad launch, and then the MacBook Pros will be refreshed, and THEN the iMacs and Mac Pros. Conventional wisdom is to wait as long as you can, if you really need the latest offering. If it doesn't matter to you all that much, then go ahead and buy the C2D, and enjoy.

I assume you're looking at the "entry level," $1,699 (US) model, since the $1,999 model is available with the i5 standard, and the i7 is a $200 option. Apple won't raise the price, and there might be some different hard drive configurations, but I'm not so sure about the Blu-Ray, although the competition is offering it, so you'd think it would be standard. Easy for me to say, but I'd wait. It's a good chunk of change to hand over, so you might as well get what you want.

4. Buzz Bumble Guest

The iMac has only fairly recently had its update, so thats likely to be last on the list after the Mac Pro. There's also iPhone and iPod to fit in there somewhere. :)

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The current iMac is already five months old, over halfway through its average cycle. The currently rumored timeline of "by June" for Mac Pro updates is in line with the normal refresh cycle of the iMac. All the Pro machines are currently well past their average times since updates, and all the consumer models are nearing their averages.

The Buyer's Guide serves as a very loose estimate of when to expect a refresh, but the Spring -> Fall -> Summer schedule has been rather consistent. I'm curious as to what Steve considers to be the "next level" for Macs. I'm assuming that is the reason for the longer-than-average time without updates for the Pro models. Maybe no updates at all will come until summer, and then the entire computer lineup will have a major overhaul. Most likely it's just the RDF being projected to calm the folks (myself included) who fail to see the "magic" of the iPad.

In answer to the OP, I think the 27" iMac is definitely a worthwhile purchase right now. The problems that plagued it for the first few months have reportedly been sorted, it is mid-cycle, and there are no rumors of imminent updates. The i5 and i7 will likely become standard as Intel continues its phase-out of Core 2 this year. I wouldn't hold my breath for Blu-ray, Steve has so far been 100% opposed to bringing it into Macs. But it's anyone's guess, as Apple have previously removed FireWire from the MacBook, then brought it back for a couple refreshes, then removed it again. Apple is rife with frustrating inconsistencies lately.

6. danjames99 macrumors member

danjames99

I would assume (more fool I, perhaps) that MacBooks will be refreshed next. If the MBP and MBP pro goes Nehalem, then anything C2duo seems out of date. But I don't see them making the low-end Arrandale based without also upgrading the high-end. So, yeah, probably after the MacPro -- probably no new iMacs until fall.

I think it can be safe to assume that the Mini will be the last get anything.

7. imacdaddyuk macrumors newbie

Okay the above reply was totally irrelevant!!

I am also here for advice to buy a iMac but don't know whether it is the right time or not...either way, every machine whether it be PC or Apple...they all get updated, you could wait forever - the actual reason why I am waiting is just to get enough information to make my buy 100% certain on choice, I will be happy with iMac 27" i7 - no matter what because it is a very sleek and powerfull system and will be for many years!!

8. danjames99 macrumors member

danjames99

For what it's worth, I'm also in the market for a new iMac. My desktop is long overdue for a renewal. I have an old P4 PC which has served me well, but I'm considering moving back to Mac.

The i5 iMac looks to be the best bargain in the Mac lineup, considering the specs of the monitor with it. Although the delay in the rest of the lineup makes me a little nervous about casting my future upgrade/software path in with Apple. Like everyone else, I can't tell whether Apple has the same commitment to Macintosh as iGadgets.

9. lobeyonekenobi thread starter macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Thanks for the response, it's not so much the blu-ray option i was going to wait for, but i think the overall consensus seems to be, it ain't gonna happen soon, but i don't want to buy a model that's going to be obsolete within a couple of years (Duo 2 Core) model. I just wanted to be certain the i5 and i7 models weren't going to drop in price within a couple of months:eek:. So judging by the response i think i'll give it until June/July to see what happens.

Thanks guys

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Pull the trigger, get the i-Mac, dump the girl friend:rolleyes::cool:

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I love the 27" i7 iMac. I bought it with the 2TB drive, and I have added memory to bring it up to 8GB. It is very fast overall. I can transcode a full movie in about 30 - 40 minutes with typical 80 fps transcoding speed.

I do not care about blu-ray at all since I believe that physical media is going obsolete. The only thing I wish was available is the option to have no optical drive at all... and instead offer a SSD/HDD combo with the SSD for the OS & Applications... and the 2TB HDD for data.

My previous machine has a 30" display, and I have found that dropping to a 27" remained respectable, especially given the high quality. Still, I would probably buy a 30" iMac if it became available.

/Jim

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you look 'carefully' at the Buyers Guide and use history as your guide then the next update will be in September. Since the intel imac launch in Jan - 2006 the cycle has been 8 - 11 - 8- 11 -8months. The last update was October which means the next update might be September.

I am currently using a nearly 4 -year old Pentium 4 PC but I am putting my money where my mouth is and ordered a 27" iMac from the refurb store last Thursday and expect to recieve it next Wednesday. I saved about 15%.

With all the yellow screen problems and Apple's statements about the problem being fixed (if I believe what I am told), then it seems this is the best time to buy a refurb since the imacs are likely relatively new (one or two months old) and went back to have the monitor replaced and double checked. At least that was my logic.

13. .md macrumors member

.md

I got mine last Wednesday, I'm on it right now. Also have a thread created of some pictures I took of it.

Anyhow, I haven't heard of any rumours of Bluray that are going to be on future iMac's, that's probably just me. Anyways, in my own opinion, I think the Intel iMac's that are out now are great, actually great is an understatement, amazingly fantastic is probably a better word. I brought the Intel iMac, it was standard with i5, but I thought of just upgrading to i7 which in my case I wanted, not saying i5 is a bad processor, I just had the money to go that extra mile. The iMac I have now hasn't had any issues what so ever, it's super quick, comes with iLife and obviously the newest operating software Snow Leopard at 10.6.2. With Steam (Valve Gaming) coming around the corner this iMac is going to bring me even more happiness when I game on it, I've already been playing Bioshock at high settings, no lag what so ever, it is truly one amazing machine, although from what I've heard the new iMac's will be improved graphically, (GPU's will most likely be upgraded).

Hope I helped.

14. lobeyonekenobi thread starter macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:So happy with the replies, the new quad cores sound, everyone's experience to be fantastic. Think i'll wait until they come down in price, i will probably also sell my white macbook, that is going a bit slow these days, it's three years old and only has 1GB RAM, not good at multi-tasking but still in great condition compared to my kids PC laptops which are half my macbook's age, sometimes experience counts;). I just hope i can wait a few months to get it as every time i see the imac i'm in love:D:D

15. tunehound macrumors newbie

I've just had to take 2 iMac 27" back due to the yellow tint problem they seem to be having with the LCD screens. It's not an obvious probelm, but once you've spotted it (lower 3rd of the screen), it will bug you to death!!

I went into two Apple stores to see if I could find a single one without the problem and I'm afraid they all had it.....gutted!!

They are a fantastic machine apart from that though.

16. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Well the 27 inch models just came out a few short months ago in October, so it's still to soon for another model to come out, like others said the next update is probably not imminent til September, so just pull the trigger and get a i5 or i7.

17. easepease macrumors regular

I will admit macs usually last longer than girlfriends ;) however she never said i cant get it, just was her opinion, and she can be quite persuasive...

I already have 4 usable computers around, i just am in love with that screen! Assuming it has no yellow tint.

And to that person who said my post was irrelevant... why??? I just gave an opinion of what is coming, which really is what most people here seem to be doing, whatever.

18. tkwolik macrumors newbie

I need to buy an iMac eventually as well.

It's now May 19th, 2010... thinking the summer might fly by I'm wondering if I should wait for the upgrade to the iMac?

I heard that the new iMac might have a touch screen??? I bought my current iMac, that has a powermac processor, 2 months before they updated them with the intel processors... so now I can't run newer programs like CS5 (creative suite 5).

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

• iMac.png
      iMac.png
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Touchscreen is just a rumor and very unlikely to become true. What iMac would you get? If you're going for the quad core, just buy now, it won't change much

20. tkwolik macrumors newbie

This is the iMac would buy if I didn't wait for any updates

I'd get the: 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB, 2TB Serial ATA Drive, running at $2,649.00...

Wondering if i should buy the: AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Add $169.00 (because it's so tightly packed, like a laptop)

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then just buy now. You have a full year to buy AppleCare, no need to do it now

22. SiliBear macrumors member

Looks like a great machine there. I'm still holding out for a video card refresh on the 27inch...and praying there's an option for an SSD boot drive. I'd snap it up in a second.

But who am I kidding on the SSD...as soon as they upgrade the video card (current one is very nice, but not bleeding edge for the size of the screen), I'll replace my 24 inch iMac and grab an i7 with 8 gigs of ram. I can't wait to press the "order" button.

23. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

My wife actually wants us to get an iMac and we went to the local Apple store this past Saturday. She totally dug the 27 inch iMac and said "lets get it today!". I actually had to convince her that now is not the right time!:eek:

Anyway-I'm also waiting for a refresh of the iMac line. I really don't care for Blu-ray on the iMac (I already have a Panasonic Blu-ray player with internet capabilities connected to our 50 inch Panasonic plasma TV) and given Apple's comments it doesn't appear that a Blu-ray drive will make an appearance anytime soon.

I'm just holding out for the i5 to become the standard entry level processor-that way I don't have to spend more money than necessary for an i5 27 inch iMac.

24. tkwolik macrumors newbie

Where to buy an NEW iMac?

Anyone know of a good place to buy a mac? This is a quote from Gary Mead over at PowerMax.com.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Qty Quote Each Ext Quote Description
    1 139.00 139.00 AppleCare iMac- 3 Year Warranty Coverage - $30 instant discount
    1 2,449.00 2,449.00 27" Apple LED iMac CTO 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 processor (Quad core), 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2TB Serial ATA Drive, 8x Dual Layer Super Drive, ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics processor with 512MB, Apple Magic Mouse, Apple Keyboard with 10-key, LED-backlit iMac with 27-inch 2560x1440 glossy widescreen display
    2 75.00 150.00 RAM SODIMM PC3-8500 2GB for 8GB
    1 19.00 19.00 Apple Remote
    1 178.46 178.46 Final Cut Express 4.0 Retail
    1 140.19 140.19 Office Mac Home Student 2008 Dvd
    1 77.83 77.83 Mobileme Individual Box

Total Freight Charges: 0.00 UPS Free Ground

Total Cash Quote: $ 3,153.48

25. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    still got her hey??,advice still the same as March 20,get rid of the girlfriend:cool: